Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 04-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #76
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

As for ereading applications? I've used a lot of ebook applications and very few of them would be, IMNSHO, superior to the Kobo reading application. Admittedly, I tend to ask little of a reading application other than it displays the text following the ebook's CSS/styles. It sometimes strikes me as strange the sheer number of times I've read posts that proclaim the superiority of an ereading app which is either unable to do this essential task or needs some arcane tweaks to even come close to doing so.
Agreed. I've always been frustrated with various epub reader apps for that very reason. So when I want to read something on my phone (not very often), I use azw3 and the Kindle app, which does respect the CSS.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #77
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bigme 3/3, Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Ki/Ko 0/8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Agreed. I've always been frustrated with various epub reader apps for that very reason. So when I want to read something on my phone (not very often), I use azw3 and the Kindle app, which does respect the CSS.
I don't care about the imaginative formatting - I remove most of them before the books are put on my reader.
This enables me to read the text in the way I want.
The handling of the reading application is more important to me than the possibility to see the given format instructions.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #78
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I don't care about the imaginative formatting - I remove most of them before the books are put on my reader.
The handling of the reading application is more important to me than the possibility to see the given format instructions.
I also fix the formatting of all my ebooks. And that's the reason I want the reading app to follow the CSS - because it's already exactly the way I want it and I don't want the app to display the book any other way.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #79
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Imaginative formatting? Chapter headers that are centered is imaginative formatting? Images that are horizontally centered on a page and the image size remains a relatively constant portion of the display size is imaginative formatting? Hanging idents and centered paragraphs are imaginative formatting? Displaying italics is imaginative formatting?

I'm not asking for handling spiral text simply following basic CSS.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:06 PM   #80
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Imaginative formatting? Chapter headers that are centered is imaginative formatting? Images that are horizontally centered on a page and the image size remains a relatively constant portion of the display size is imaginative formatting? Hanging idents and centered paragraphs are imaginative formatting? Displaying italics is imaginative formatting?
I donot care where i can see chapter headers. Most of the pictures I remove, hanging idents and centered paragraphs I donot like aso.
I want left aligned, distance between paragraphs, no indent, font face Arial.
When I want to read a book. then I read a paper book or pdf.
When I read an epub, then Im reading mainly the text but in this case im interested in easy handling of the device.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 04-11-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Advert
Old 04-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #81
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
When I read an epub, then Im reading mainly the text but in this case im interested in easy handling of the device.
And that's the difference. For me, ebooks are books. I don't want them to look like a text file without any formatting. I don't read paper books unless there is no electronic edition at all.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #82
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
And that's the difference. For me, ebooks are books. I don't want them to look like a text file without any formatting. I don't read paper books unless there is no electronic edition at all.
I have a library with about 15,000 books and when I read one of them I want to feel the paper, smell the paper, feel the weight, then I am happy with the layout, the pictures that may be available, then I enjoy this feeling.
When I consume a text, I only want the text divided into chapters and paragraphs.
And on all larger 7 inch devices two columns in reverse landscape format.
And for that I got my readers and paid a lot of tuition until my needs emerged.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 04-11-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:25 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
WBut, if the point is to get a relative length of the books, there are other sources for page or word counts. Goodreads, Kobo and Amazon show them. Some non-English have them as well. And, in any case, if you open the book and change the font settings to your preferred ones, the page count shown is comparable to any other kepub opened on the same sized device with the same settings.
The problem with the page numbers shown by Kobo and Amazon is you have no idea what version they were taken from and you have no idea the format of that book. So yes, you do have a page number that isn't useful. Goodreads is terrible for eBook page numbers. I used to be able to post in the librarians thread the correct ADE page number for an eBook and that used to be corrected. But now they used the page number that's found with the eBook listing which is wrong.

The only real way to get a sense of how long is to use ADE page numbers. Does the count pages Plugin work with KePub? If not, can it be easily modified to allow it to do so? Then you can get a sense of how long your KePub is if that's the only version you have in Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:28 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Thought I'd read somewhere that it was ADE pages - guess that was wrong.
It was ADE style pages. Same method o counting pages with just a different amount per page. But once you got used it it, it worked as well as ADE page numbers.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:32 PM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I donot care where i can see chapter headers. Most of the pictures I remove, hanging idents and centered paragraphs I donot like aso.
I want left aligned, distance between paragraphs, no indent, font face Arial.
Where did you come by your like of your formatting? You don't see it in pBooks. In pBooks you see indents and serif text. The pictures are there. Centered, offset, etc. text is there. How did you come to liking things the way you described?
Old 04-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #86
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Where did you come by your like of your formatting? You don't see it in pBooks. In pBooks you see indents and serif text. The pictures are there. Centered, offset, etc. text is there. How did you come to liking things the way you described?
From study scripts that are designed to convey content quickly. And when it comes to electronic reading, I don't want anything else.
I need about 5 hours for a 500 page book.
On a reader less than 3.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 04-11-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:30 AM   #87
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with the page numbers shown by Kobo and Amazon is you have no idea what version they were taken from and you have no idea the format of that book. So yes, you do have a page number that isn't useful.
Yes I do. I am only using the page count for an approximation. I don't care if it is accurate, because I know it is not. I just want a relative size.
Quote:
Goodreads is terrible for eBook page numbers. I used to be able to post in the librarians thread the correct ADE page number for an eBook and that used to be corrected. But now they used the page number that's found with the eBook listing which is wrong.
And were you giving the "correct" ADE page count for the correct edition of the ebook? As you correctly point out, the page count is dependent on the edition of the book. But, that goes for the ebook as well. Changes in the included text, such as a different forward or afterword, or a preview of another book changes the page count. I expect that you were giving the ADE page count from your "perfect" version of the ebook (not extraneous text) which is not valid for any other copy of the ebook. And I literally mean "copy", as your book is no longer the same as any other copy of the same edition.
Quote:
The only real way to get a sense of how long is to use ADE page numbers. Does the count pages Plugin work with KePub? If not, can it be easily modified to allow it to do so? Then you can get a sense of how long your KePub is if that's the only version you have in Calibre.
And that really demonstrates that you don't really understand how ADE page numbers are calculated. Running the ADE algorithm over an epub converted to epub, by any of the methods available, will give a different page count. The algorithm is based on the size of the compressed internal files. Any change to that will change the page count. And the kepubs internal files are different because of the added spans. That changes the file size and hence the compressed files size. Dividing that by 1024 to get the page count for that internal file will give a different result from the original epub.

And as a demonstration, using the copy of "Footfall" by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle that I have, the epub page count is 556. The kepub page count is 669. This was the same for both a conversion or using the extended driver. With such a difference, there is no real comparison between them.

When it comes down to it, none of the page count algorithms are "accurate". And they are only comparable between books that are built in the same way. And then only barely. Word count should be a much better way to do it. But, there is still the issue of how to count words, which is an argument we've had elsewhere, and I have absolutely no interest in engaging in ever again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:19 AM   #88
dikkied
dikkied began at the beginning.

Device: None
With the Kobo libra you can reverse the hardware buttons in order to use the top button for scrolling forward. Is this also possible withe the Tolino vision 5?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T810 met Tapatalk
dikkied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:16 AM   #89
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Because they are basically hardware clones, I would assume it is possible.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:42 AM   #90
elvvis
elvvis began at the beginning.

Device: PW4, tolino epos 2
Differences Tolino & Kobo

Yes, the buttons can also be swapped on the Tolino.
elvvis is offline   Reply With Quote