Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #76
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I assume you have verified this? You have tried to d/l the ebook and put it on both kindles and it didn't work on one of them?

BOb
Yep.

-A
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #77
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I had to email amazon because I had heard different versions.........here is their answer....

"Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding multiple Kindles registered to one account.

Because each Kindle will have downloaded its own version of the same book, all 6 can read the same book at once.

Please contact us again if have any other questions.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:"

Alisa, if you can't read yours on both Kindles at the same time, you might want to contact Amazon and find out why. And, by the way, I got the answer to my email within 1 hour. Great customer support.
I can read the same title at the same time, I just have to download it again for the other Kindle.
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #78
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
+1
I agree Amazon has great customer support!
I have send them a mail, and within a couple of hours received a personal (non-standard form) answer back.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #79
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
So far I don't have an ebook reader, but should I lose even this one, I'd buy a Sony PSR-505
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #80
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Yep.

-A
Cool... thanks. I also assume that you can go onto content manager in either Kindle and download the book to that Kindle via Whispernet. You don't need to d/l it to a PC then USB it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #81
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Cool... thanks. I also assume that you can go onto content manager in either Kindle and download the book to that Kindle via Whispernet. You don't need to d/l it to a PC then USB it.

BOb
Yep. We only did that via usb when we were out of the US. Otherwise I just send it via Whispernet or he uses the content manager.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I will let you know after I have my Jetbook for a while. As for the iPod Touch.. well, yes, I probably would.

That being said... I would never buy a book reader like the Kindle that is built around DRM... Though I might be willing to accept eReader style DRM as a necessary evil, I will never accept DRM linked to devices or requiring a DRM server.

--
Bill
What is it about the Jetbook that got you to make the purchase? I am curious since there are a number of eink devices with better features and some are cheaper.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I agree. I say this as a happy Kindle-owner. I hope that Amazon can move the ebook industry towards DRM-free as they've helped to do with music, but as long as it has DRM on it, I don't consider myself as "buying" books. It's more a long-term lease. The combination of the price-point and the fact that I rarely read a book more than once makes this still work out in my favor compared to what I spent before.

I must admit, however, that I still feel conflicted about supporting the enterprise at all. While I do believe that Amazon ultimately wants to take things DRM-free and may help ebooks, I am also concerned that the industry will take the message from this that DRM is a good marketing model. Hopefully However, if we don't buy ebooks, they make take the message that ebooks aren't a good business, not that we don't want them infested with DRM.
Amazon right now is out to help Amazon. What Amazon does or does not do with DRM will not affect the rest of us. Just look as the exclusive deals Amazon makes. That's good for Amazon, but not for the rest of us or eBooks in general. So in order for Amazon going DRM free to work, they'd have to open their eBooks up to everyone Kindle owner or not. But I doubt they would. It would not be good for Kindle sales.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #84
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Jon, the only real features that the Jetbook lacks that others might have are format supports and wifi.

I am not worried about wifi; I bought this to read books on, not to browse the internet. If I get a 2 GB card for it, I can probably download a few hundred books onto it and be happy for a year or two.

The format support concerned me somewhat, but once I figured out that it is fairly easy to convert .lit, .ereader and .mobi files into html and from there into .fb2, my concern was resolved. I hope they support other formats in the future, but I am confident I will be able to read whatever novel I want to on it.

Things I liked;
1. It simply acts as a USB drive on your computer; therefore unlike the Sony or the ebookwise 1150, no special hoops or software are needed to get books onto the device; especially since I have a Mac and a Linux box. I don't run Windows.

2. I like the fact that it is a bit smaller than than the 6" devices. I know the 6" devices are not huge, but for me the ideal device is one that will give me the most screen real estate possible that will fit in my pocket .

3. eInk is not really a mature technology yet. While it has a lot of advantages, its screen refresh time is not one of them. Also the glass substrate that is used makes it somewhat more fragile than LCDs (Granted in a metal design like the Sony, this problem is minimized). The grey scale LCD in the Jetbook is fast, and from the reviews easy to read and easy on the eyes. Now, I bet if we are having this conversation in a couple of years (or maybe even a year from now) this will not be true.. but I am not waiting a year to get an ebook reader.

3. It has no DRM based reader on it. Again, I would have been willing to go for eReader based DRM, but not any other scheme. So that being said, why should I subsidize Mobi or Amazon by buying devices that pay them to have their DRM format on them? I have no intention of using that DRM after all.

4. MSRP for the Jetbook might be $350, but street price is really $300, which is close to or considerably less than the street price of all the other major readers except the ebookwise.

Anyway, those are some of my reasons.

--
Bill

Last edited by bill_mchale; 10-17-2008 at 10:36 AM.
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #85
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon right now is out to help Amazon. What Amazon does or does not do with DRM will not affect the rest of us. Just look as the exclusive deals Amazon makes. That's good for Amazon, but not for the rest of us or eBooks in general. So in order for Amazon going DRM free to work, they'd have to open their eBooks up to everyone Kindle owner or not. But I doubt they would. It would not be good for Kindle sales.
Jon,
I agree. I think the main reason that Amazon started selling DRM free music was that it was the best way to carve niche out of the Digital Music market. The market was dominated by iTunes; there was no way to develop a DRM'd system and market it quickly enough to make a dent. By going DRMless, they can be platform independent, and by offering higher quality, they gave people an incentive to purchase music from them. It worked too. I don't buy tons of digital music, but what I do buy, I buy from them.

With the Kindle, DRM allows them to tie Kindle owners to Amazon. Lets say your Kindle breaks a year from now, you have say 10 books on it that you have not read yet... what reader are you going to be more likely to buy?

--
Bill
Old 10-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #86
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
I'd buy another Ebookwise 1150. I /really/ like it.

Me too! It already does what the others only wish they could do.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Things I liked;
1. It simply acts as a USB drive on your computer; therefore unlike the Sony or the ebookwise 1150, no special hoops or software are needed to get books onto the device; especially since I have a Mac and a Linux box. I don't run Windows.
All the devices currently on the market, Bill, including the Sony, mount as a USB drive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Me too! It already does what the others only wish they could do.
Such as what, for example?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #89
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All the devices currently on the market, Bill, including the Sony, mount as a USB drive.
My understanding was that the ebookwise at least doesn't seem to on the Mac or Linux platforms... at least looking at all the threads on here talking about how to get content to that platform.

Also, besides being able to read non DRM'd LRF files, what exactly does calibre gain you then?

In any case, none of that changes the rest of my decisions for making my choice.

--
Bill
Old 10-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #90
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
My understanding was that the ebookwise at least doesn't seem to on the Mac or Linux platforms... at least looking at all the threads on here talking about how to get content to that platform.
I believe you're correct about the EB1150, yes. Sorry, I should have been clear that it was the Sony that I was referring to.

Quote:
Also, besides being able to read non DRM'd LRF files, what exactly does calibre gain you then?
I've never used it myself, but I understand that, in addition to providing a set of tools for converting from other formats to LRF, it also can, if you wish it to, act as a librarian for your eBooks, maintaining them in its own internal database. The PRS-505, however, mounts as a USB drive and you can simply copy files to and from it as you would any other external drive.

Tags
buy, ebook, lose, reader