Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #76
hardcastle
Zealot
hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Gray Kindle Basic
The article reads as though the author really doesn't know what they're talking about.

I attempt to avoid slandering entire websites but this hasn't been the first time Good-eReader has given me this feeling. I wish them luck with the campaign, but just a little over a thousand dollars so far? Not a good sign.
hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:19 PM   #77
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
I don't really trust Goodereader. If it was Kickstarted, I might have thought about it, but not with IndieGoGo.

That said, I see nothing ultimate about this.
  • No page turning buttons.
  • Nothing about a metal body.
  • Only 512MB of ram and claims it will run apps. Nope, not happening.
  • No Bluetooth.
  • No wireless charging.
  • No built-in support for Calibre Content Server or OPDS. That you can download apps that support them is insufficient for an ultimate ereader claim.
  • No information whatsoever about a built-in the engine, but I guess we can download Bluefire for RMSDK. Still, no ultimate ereader here.
  • i.MX6S isn't best thing there is, i.MX7S is coming out and there are others too. You have to remember that i.MX6S is four years old.
  • I don't think there will be any extensive customer service.

As a last note, the writing in the campaing is quite rude and bad, you haven't invented the vaccine for malaria, this is just a bulk order for a high-spec eraeder. And asking for money with such sloppy presentation? Really? A junior high student could have written better.

This is all vapor, nothing solid here.

If I have nothing nice to say about some product, I will say all the bad things I have to say. This is the right and moral thing to do when talking about a consumer product. This is why forums like MR exist, to provide information without filtering it. You have to share bad with good, the bad is even more important than the good.

You know; all good products are alike, each bad product is bad in its own way =)
Thanks for the (independent) analysis!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #78
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Wexler Flex One.
Wexler is an OEM supplier of computer related stuff from Russia. They manufactured a reader a few years ago.
I do not know what happened - it disappeared the after they hit the market.
One on-line store that specializes in e-ink readers in neighboring country even had a few demo units and then ... Nothing. They refused to tell me (even privately) what happened.
It also briefly showed up on Amazon for $49 after it was discontinued:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...amazon-for-49/

I never did find out how that happened.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #79
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason90 View Post
Reading through the comments i couldn't understand the hate towards GoodEreader then i read something in his post "It critically important to us that we feature hardware that has never seen before on a commercial e-reader. The Ultimate e-reader is the first device ever, that leverages the Freescale 1 GHZ processor,"

Obviously a blatant lie as most ereaders use the i.mx 6 solo....
Including the new Nook.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #80
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
I wish people would focus on hardware a bit less and spend a little more time making software readers for Android that work correctly and follow the dang EPUB standard.
This.

When Sony left the market (and a niche 13 inch device is not really part of the overall market) easily navigated library management went with them.

I will admit that on the hardware side I would like to see the return of the replaceable battery, and a plastic substrate screen under a transparent aluminum face panel.

What would be more "ultimate" than a reader you could keep functional for a couple decades with military grade ruggedness but not much increased size?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #81
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Can you do a long press with IR or multi-touch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, you can do a long press with IR. The Kobo uses a long press for starting highlighting/dictionary lookup using IR.
To add to that, multi touch is also possible - at the very least 2 point multi touch. The KT as old as it is has pinch to zoom, for example.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #82
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
So are you belittling Michael? Or others?
Or perhaps it's the 3 backers, which I happen to be one of?

I'm finding this very rude. I expected better of members on this forum.
I am only belittling GoodEreader, not their backers.

Although I admit I did also express my doubts at how many people will back it.

Quote:
I understand about Michael. I will still support his project.

What I don't understand is the constant rudeness from some forum members here. I was always taught growing up, if I had nothing nice to say, then say nothing. I still practice that.

I don't need to put products or people down. Perhaps that's why I seldom post here.
"if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing", yes, I have heard of this PC virus.

If I have nothing nice to say because there is genuinely nothing nice to say, but there are rather a lot of not-very-nice-things-at-all to say, and they are all true, I see nothing wrong with saying it.
The fact that there is nothing, I repeat NOTHING, good to say about them, is in and of itself noteworthy.

Where would any of us be if everyone was too afraid of peer pressure to say any statement not liberally doused with saccharine sweetness?

... We'd live in a world that was a perverted inversion of something out of Lovecraft. I'm not sure which one scares me more.

There are actually forum guidelines against putting *people* down. ("When things get controversial please disagree with the opinion, not the person.") But there is nothing against putting an idea, action, or product down.

There is a reason for this -- because there are a lot of opinions in the world, and many of them disagree. Usually in a very, um, emphatic manner. Several of those opinions have to do with communication norms.

I guarantee you, there are at least as many people offended by that line as there are people who use that line to get offended at people -- and who are you to pass judgment?
(Bit of hypocrisy in that stance, actually. )

And I for one am not very impressed with GoodEreader's word-twisting -- which seems about par the course, judging by their average "news" article.
I also don't like their egotistical description.

And anything they do, I am already biased against.
  • Because in case you were unaware, they once operated a black market for pirated books (and charged money, IIRC! )
  • They still pirate news articles, giving me little faith in their supposed change of management.
  • And they've been permanently banned from MobileRead for sockpuppeting

This is above and beyond the haphazard approach they take toward their articles, both in editing, and in verification.
And I can only assume, in their Indiegogo campaigns.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:41 PM   #83
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Here's the big problem with this Indiegogo campaign: it's set up for Flexible Funding, which means that they get all the money pledged, even if they don't hit the goal.

So they have to sell enough units to be able to get the manufacturer to make the custom units, or they can't deliver. Or, if the device is a stock device, they have to sell enough units to hit the minimum order from the manufacturer.

This is not a Group Buy. In an Indeegogo campaign, you are not buying anything, you are 'contributing' money, in the hopes that you get a Perk. There is no guarantee that the Perk will be delivered.
That is actually rather scary.
And now I wonder why anyone backs this.

For a campaign that rests entirely on how much they can raise (how do you deliver a product that has no recipe other than "raise enough money via a campaign to be able to purchase this") you do NOT want to gamble on a Flexible Funding campaign.

It's not like they will be able to do *something*, if they don't meet a certain target.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:28 AM   #84
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
How much ram other Android tablet-like ereader have? 512MB seems very little to me. Especially with Android 6.0. How would this device hope to handle apps?
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:25 AM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thing is, if we didn't say things that were not nice, then how could we give some reviews that say how not nice something is?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #86
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
How much ram other Android tablet-like ereader have? 512MB seems very little to me. Especially with Android 6.0. How would this device hope to handle apps?
The new Onyx T68+ has 1GB RAM, which, as you say, will be a lot better for running apps. There's a good reason that the current eInk Android devices run Android 4.0; it's a lot less resource-hungry than the later releases.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:45 AM   #87
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
If they don't reach the target in 60 days it will be left open if it's close. Also, if anyone reads the article they would see this:
Quote:
If we don’t make our funding goal we will keep the campaign open, so people can make donations if we are close. If we are far beneath our goal, we will process refunds for everyone.
There's been some projects I never got my perk or a refund from, but a refund was never a possibility. I never have a guarantee when I buy stock... so life isn't always safe.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:23 AM   #88
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
As for people worried about crowdfunding, isn't that essentially what Amazon did for the Echo, and Fire TV? They took pre-orders and authorized credit cards to make certain the buyer would likely to be able to complete the purchase.

I doubt very few independent start ups have the resources to not need crowdfunding.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #89
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
This is my favourite sentence from the whole pitch:

Quote:
Every day someone emails Good e-Reader imploring us to launch a crowd funded campaign to design and manufacture the perfect e-reader. We have finally listened...
You haters simply don't get it: they aren't out to make a buck, they are doing this to end the suffering of millions. I think I'll donate my money to them - it's the least I can do.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #90
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
As for people worried about crowdfunding, isn't that essentially what Amazon did for the Echo, and Fire TV? They took pre-orders and authorized credit cards to make certain the buyer would likely to be able to complete the purchase.
That is news to me. I have never heard about Amazon authorizing a charge on pre-orders. Not even on orders that are not shipped yet - Amazon doesn't charge or authorize until they have the product to be processed for shipping. 3rd party merchands selling at Amazon, different story.

You got any source about the pre-authorizing credit cards RE: Echo and Fire TV?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodereader bad