Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #76
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Info on new .kfx format:

http://allesebook.de/firmware-softwa...-kindle-65388/

English translation: https://translate.googleusercontent....OhpVElocmuTYvw

Among other things, the new format appears to include soft hyphens.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you USB download a Kindle eBook with enhanced typesetting, you can remove the DRM no problem. i downloaded two eBooks with Firefox and they worked perfectly for removing the DRM. I have no idea if they came through with .azw3 file extensions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I can confirm that books with enhanced typesetting are sent to my updated PW3 with a different file extension (kfx) and this new filetype is not recognized by Calibre when I look under "device" with the Kindle connected.

When I copy the book to my hard drive from the computer and change the file extension from .kfx to .azw3 and then try to import it, it appears to be imported with no issue, but when I try to open it in Calibre, I get an error:

(maybe this part needs to be split out and posted in the Calibre part of the forum?)

Next test is to update my Voyage and see if I can take the file from my PW3 and put it onto my Voyage (test to see if Alf's tools worked on the .kfx file)

Shari
Can you please try the DRM removal again using the latest Calibre and the latest DRM removal plugin? 6.3.2 is the latest DRM removal plugin and 2.34 is the latest Calibre. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #79
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you USB download a Kindle eBook with enhanced typesetting, you can remove the DRM no problem. i downloaded two eBooks with Firefox and they worked perfectly for removing the DRM. I have no idea if they came through with .azw3 file extensions.
But what device did you download it for?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #80
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I'm on vacation and don't have access to a laptop. Is there anyway to force the Voyage to check for and update the firmware through WiFi?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But what device did you download it for?
I downloaded it for a PW3. But I'm not sure how Amazon would know if the PW3 has the new firmware or not doing it via USB.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #82
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I deleted a kfx book that showed enhanced typesetting from my kindle and then used the USB download option for the same book to sideload it. The downloaded book was in azw3 format, not kfx. None of the enhanced typesetting features were present in the sideloaded book. So it looks like kfx can only be delivered directly to a kindle.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #83
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
OK I just deleted one of my books that I side loaded to my PW2 and then I sent it to my PW2 by the way of caliber and amazon cloud and it has the uneven right side and does not have all of the wide spaces in the lines that I had with the side loaded book. I for one like the uneven right side of the page.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #84
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Can you please try the DRM removal again using the latest Calibre and the latest DRM removal plugin? 6.3.2 is the latest DRM removal plugin and 2.34 is the latest Calibre. Thanks.
I'm not sure that the problem with viewing it in Calibre had anything to do with DRM. In the past, if I try to import a book and the DRM cleansing fails, I get an error on import. I didn't get that error this time--it appeared to import with no problem. It was only after the book was imported and I tried to open it that I got the error.

I can also report that the attempt to copy the .kfx file to my Voyage was unsuccessful, no matter how I tried to do it. The Voyage just refused to see it.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #85
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I should have never redownloaded two books. Now I have hyphens, but the narrowest margin setting now looks too wide!!! What the heck is going on?
In my case, only books with hyphenation have the wide margins at the narrowest setting. I've downloaded books with advanced typesetting enabled, that do not have hyphenation for whatever reason, and the margins are normal.

So it seems to either be a bug or my PW3 (if no one else has this specific issue).
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #86
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I can also confirm that the Font_Ramp hack doesn't work with the new format. It does work with the update--any .azw3 format books that I have on my device work fine with the adjusted font sizes, but the new .kfx format does not recognize the adjusted sizes.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #87
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
It is my understanding that the DRM key is different for each device and each app that you have. So you cannot copy a ebook from your kindle for pc to one of the kindle devices or between two different kindles that you own. I may be wrong but that was the way it was when I started messing with Amazon ebooks.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

This is starting (maybe) to get like the B&N situation.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #89
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I can confirm that books with enhanced typesetting are sent to my updated PW3 with a different file extension (kfx) and this new filetype is not recognized by Calibre when I look under "device" with the Kindle connected.
Quote:
Can you please try the DRM removal again using the latest Calibre and the latest DRM removal plugin?
I have taken a quick look inside some kfx files on my Kindle and I see that it is a significantly different format from previous Kindle formats. None of the existing software or "tools" can handle this as they are now.

Last edited by jhowell; 08-11-2015 at 12:51 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #90
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There are plenty of DRM free books with enhanced typesetting. This one is free:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00IMLL63O

I downloaded it for sideloading, unpacked it, didn't see anything special but as people point out maybe you have to deliver directly. I have not tried copying it off of the device to see what is going on.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote