Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #76
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Here is part of the email I got back from them:
So unless there is some sort of super duper never-before-seen great sale on a book I cannot get from somewhere else, I am done with B&N. (Which is a shame because there are some books only available at Amazon and B&N, it's like some authors who self-publish their backlist are not aware of any other storefronts).

It's like B&N execs got together and said what's the one thing we can do to guarantee customers go over to Amazon

I have issues with Amazon Kindle books since I like ePub. Yes I can make them work, but they add a lot of funky coding like Kobo did in the old days.

So far I have not had any kepub only books from Kobo. Fingers crossed Kobo and Google do not go this route as well.
I cannot even fathom that. Here they are with falling sales and they pull this? Unbelievable. UNBELIEVABLE.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #77
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I was still buying books from them but reading them on my Kindle.

From now on...no thanks. I guess I'll have to ask for a check for my Apple settlement money, else I'll have a tidy sum tied up at B&N.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #78
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So unless there is some sort of super duper never-before-seen great sale on a book I cannot get from somewhere else, I am done with B&N. (Which is a shame because there are some books only available at Amazon and B&N, it's like some authors who self-publish their backlist are not aware of any other storefronts).
Don't ask me--I have written to two, no three authors recently asking if they could/would publish on Kobo. Of the three, ONE said, "Sure" asked me for details and went right over and did it. One of the other ones said, 'Not going to happen." The other author said, "I might look into it..."

None of the authors were exclusive to Amazon so I found it rather mindboggling. I get not publishing to Apple (it's difficult and can cost money) but Kobo has a great publishing platform.

And No. I didn't buy any of the books elsewhere.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #79
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
It's a hassle, and they're making it much more of a hassle, but I still get gift cards from friends and family who know I like to read.

Still, it bodes ill. I have the feeling they're working on a way to download each word, individually, as it's needed, and then delete it when the next word is needed.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #80
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Am I correct in thinking people who have bought lots of nook books are totally fracked if nook goes completely under now?
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #81
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
It's a hassle, and they're making it much more of a hassle, but I still get gift cards from friends and family who know I like to read.

Still, it bodes ill. I have the feeling they're working on a way to download each word, individually, as it's needed, and then delete it when the next word is needed.
Time to convince people to switch to paypal gift cards?
Old 09-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #82
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
Am I correct in thinking people who have bought lots of nook books are totally fracked if nook goes completely under now?
Right now, today? Nope. But tomorrow, who knows.

Get calibre. Have a talk with apprentice alf. Download everything you can from B&N while you can. Backup, backup, backup.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #83
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Script worked for me as well through Tapermonkey. I will be visiting my page BEFORE any new purchases, one at a time, to make sure the script is still live before I buy anything new.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #84
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Not if they act now.
At a minimum they need to download everything and back them up at multiple locations. Ideally, they should disinfect them before backing them up.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #85
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
It sounds like they are trying to be "Google Books" where you mostly read books online, but Google at least offers the option to download for off line reading on Android.

Barnes and Noble is currently in the process of totally revising their website for purchasing content and also the way Nook books are presented. In early 2015 it will be formally unveiled and likely this change to downloading content is likely a precursor to reading everything exclusively online.
http://goodereader.com/blog/e-book-n...ad-nook-ebooks
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #86
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
From one of the comments to the Dear Author website article:
"A chat with BN on-line reveals that no customers were told of this policy, it just showed up, as a step by the publishers to secure DRM."

I do not know if this is true (this is B&N customer service ), but I thought the publishers were supposed to support B&N?
With friends like these ....
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #87
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
With friends like these ....
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #88
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Only if they haven't kept current on downloading copies. In which case, they'd have been screwed regardless. This cannot possibly affect my archives.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #89
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
It sounds like they are trying to be "Google Books" where you mostly read books online, but Google at least offers the option to download for off line reading on Android.

Barnes and Noble is currently in the process of totally revising their website for purchasing content and also the way Nook books are presented. In early 2015 it will be formally unveiled and likely this change to downloading content is likely a precursor to reading everything exclusively online.
http://goodereader.com/blog/e-book-n...ad-nook-ebooks
Heh. B&N has been in the process of relaunching their website since at least 2012. I fully expect for them to get it done just in time for the creditors to sell off the new site as an asset.

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-18-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #90
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Greasemonky script for B&N can be found at userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/source/152985.user.js
Thanks, Jon.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote