Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-02-2008, 04:03 AM   #76
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have to confess that I've never heard of either the "Orsio" or the "Explay".
That's because they are marketed and sold in Russia (and maybe other CIS countries) only.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:06 AM   #77
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
That's because they are marketed and sold in Russia (and maybe other CIS countries) only.
And they are all originally made by PVI/Netronix?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2008, 04:16 AM   #78
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@HarryT

Thanky you for the hint, now it works.
The PID was already in, I can now read DRM mobipocket books on my STAReBOOK.
Apart from a few small glitches it works just fine.

YEAH!

Finally some new life for that discontinued reader!

And here is some proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOawEENHZtI

Last edited by CommanderROR; 06-02-2008 at 05:22 AM. Reason: video
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #79
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Happy to help.

Anyone want to lay odds that Bookeen will put a check in the next release of the firmware to ensure that it only runs on a "genuine" CyBook?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #80
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

@HarryT

There already is such a check...but apparently it's easy to bypass...
Advert
Old 06-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #81
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
@HarryT

There already is such a check...but apparently it's easy to bypass...
Now I'm kinda curious : is it possible to run firmware from e.g. the STAReBOOK on a Cybook Gen 3 ?
I'm looking for firmware that's better at reading PDF than the Cybook Gen3's.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #82
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Well, it should be possible, but the STAReBOOK software is really really bad it it does not run PDF....it runs nothing but the obsolete .stk format...which is why I'm very happy to be rid of it.

I never really use anything but mobipocket, on the Iliad and now on the STAReBOOK/Cybook so I'm perfectly happy with what I've got now.
Only sad thing...no page number...that is annoying...the Iliad displays it, the Cybook just gives progress bar. I also do not have a battery meter displayed on the Cybook, but maybe I can activate that somewhere...
Old 06-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #83
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
And they are all originally made by PVI/Netronix?
Yes, it is Netronix EB-100 with different firmware and logos.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #84
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
Now I'm kinda curious : is it possible to run firmware from e.g. the STAReBOOK on a Cybook Gen 3 ?
Hardware is the same, and firmware update procedures are very similar, so it is probably possible. However Bookeen update won't install again on the device until patched - it checks that device already has the Bookeen's firmware (actually some file which belongs to Bookeen's bookreader, can't remember exactly).
Old 06-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #85
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The Bookeen's updater checks for presence of the "boordr" file, which is found only on Cybook and not other similar devices.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #86
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
I'm looking for firmware that's better at reading PDF than the Cybook Gen3's.
If I understand correctly, the basic kernel, root and vivi files are nearly the same. In the case of the Netronix EB-100, they are EXACTLY the same. Where these devices differ the most are the startup bitmapped image file (the splash screen) and the actual ebook reader software. In the case of the other machines the reader is something that appears to be called "E-Book Reader" and is contained in the binary file called ebrmain. The Cybook uses their own Boo Reader and is loaded in from a binary file called boordr.bin.

While it might be a fun experiment to load in STAReBOOK or Netronix ebook reading firmware onto a Cybook Gen3, I can't really say it would be a "good" experience. I've tried both and, for all it's faults and lack of features, I find the Boo Reader to be vastly preferrable!

What I'd like to see, now that it has been proven the Boo Reader can be run on these devices, is for Bookeen to step up and release a custom firmware update for these devices. Let's be reasonable. Bookeen is a company and it has employees with the need to make a living. It has the right to sell the Boo Reader software for a profit. I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to market the firmware for $79-$99.

And for Bookeen, I ask they consider the following argument. Yes, selling the firmware to those who already have one of these other devices does NOT sell Cybooks to them. However, given the prices of these others, I doubt many users would WANT to cough up for a Cybook until Gen4 or later if they already have an Explay, EB-100 or STAReBOOK - so those sales are probably already lost.

Still, by selling the firmware "update" for these non-Cybooks, Bookeen would generate tons of goodwill with these people and they'd be far MORE likely to buy a Gen4 instead of the next-gen Sony or Kindle. Something to think about, Bookeen.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #87
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
What I'd like to see, now that it has been proven the Boo Reader can be run on these devices, is for Bookeen to step up and release a custom firmware update for these devices.
That would be nice, however we don't know details of Bookeen-Netronix and Bookeen-Mobi deals. They may include quite harsh restrictions.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #88
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

I don't know what kind of obligations Bookeen has, but I do know that they never even replied to my questions concerning a STAReBOOK to Cybook conversion firmware. I even suggested the "pay for firmware" option and pointed out the benefits, but they never even bothered to say no.

My opinion of Bookeen is not exactly very high...and it seems they are sometimes just as unresponsive when it comes to atualy customers asking for support, and then of course there is the matter of GPL compliance...

I'd be very surprised if Bookeen even considered offering their Firmware for sale...but I might be wrong, i actually hope I am!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #89
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
That would be nice, however we don't know details of Bookeen-Netronix and Bookeen-Mobi deals. They may include quite harsh restrictions.
Given that Netronix appears to have violated the GPL, I don't see where that deal would count. Besides, if Netronix doesn't want to sell any more devices, it should just make the danged things impossible to change, update or be used - and while the OS works fine, the 'included' reader app pretty much already DOES that. Now Mobipocket *might* be a problem - but here again, selling this firmware update would *broaden* the Mobipocket market, not narrow it. Logically, this would be seen by Mobipocket as a 'good' thing - but we've all seen companies tossing logic upsidedown.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #90
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
Can someone take us step-by-step how you can load Bookeen's software onto the Stareread? I was one of the earlier buyer of the Stareread but the software is crap and I can't buy any new books with it.

Thanks!
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote