Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #76
azw409
Connoisseur
azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.

Device: Solar powered Kobo Touch running Android, Onyx M96C, Likebook Mars
Is there any reason why I can't sign in with my Google account ? It always fails and yet the internet works fine in the browser. Kind of limits my ability to use it as an Android device.

Thanks
azw409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:28 AM   #77
azw409
Connoisseur
azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.

Actually I figured it out reading all the previous comments - none of the Google services are started by default which is why it couldn't connect to Google.

Now that it's synced, it's actually really good which begs the question - why does nobody make an Android eInk reader ?

I could install Google Play Books no problem and although it's bit slow to startup, it works flawlessly which is just perfect for me because I tend to buy my books from Google Play as they're often cheaper than Kobo or Amazon. So it sync's fine with my other Google Play devices and, of course, you can read on the web or upload ePub's via the web interface.

There's a few apps that I would have liked to install but they're not listed e.g. Twitter, I'm guessing because they don't support such an old version of Android. Also, being rooted, I wouldn't want to do my banking on it.

So how did you create this distribution, was it just a case of building AOSP with the Kobo kernel or is there more to it than that ? I'm guessing that you chose 2.3.4 because of the memory constraints ?

It would be nice to get to KitKat or Lollipop but I'm guessing that the embedded Chrome browser will just be too huge to run comfortably in 512MB.

Fabulous work though - I'm very impressed and grateful for such a useful Android distro !
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 03:29 AM   #78
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by azw409 View Post
Now that it's synced, it's actually really good which begs the question - why does nobody make an Android eInk reader ?
If I am not mistaken the source of the current distribution is an eInk reader, Tolino.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #79
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Also check out the Onyx readers.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:48 PM   #80
azw409
Connoisseur

Hi All, I've done a version of MsgE6.apk that removes the pretty girls on suspend and shutdown. This version instead has a medieval manuscript instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5v7apzhpk...MsgE6.apk?dl=0
Advert
Old 02-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #81
kenship
kenship began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T2
Hi, new here. Thinking to get a used Touch today and go for the dual boot. Reading the comments here seems to me that some system change and replacement must be performed in order to get Google Play Store, which is a must in my case because the whole purpose is to run Kindle app and another Android reading app.

Do I need to worry the first version at all? or I can go straight and deal with V2?

Thanks!
kenship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:53 AM   #82
rjbouw
rjbouw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Xiaomi redmi 5 plus
Would it be possible for someone to post a guide for setting up the V2 dualboot version for Glo? I get stuck in a bootloop all the time.
rjbouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #83
anki
Connoisseur
anki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD | KSM9 | KoReader | Plato
Hello,

How can i install that Kobo service application to the old version image of 2013 ? Old image work better than this version, because that girl background and can't go to google store with this version..

Thank you.
anki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:27 AM   #84
cifa
cifa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
@anki,

you can get Google store working. I suggest reading the whole thread - I used this method to get it going: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=21

@Marek,

I can't get my Kobo glo to wake up from sleep
I have tried everything I know (changed MicroSD card etc...) I even tried a little hex editing: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228209 but generally not successful. any suggestions?

btw - great Touch image. I've had fun with that
cifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:56 AM   #85
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaoZeke View Post
I hope this isn't an inappropriate or overtly dumb question but, any ideas/advice to getting this to work on the aura HD?
+1 for getting it to work on Aura H2O!
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:56 AM   #86
Katch
Katch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi, I've been out of the Kobo loop for a while.

Is there a viable install method for Kobo Touch without SD card inside?
Katch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #87
eduardoc
eduardoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi am9,
Could you can you share your image by other means than baidu ? I cant download from their.

Thanks !
eduardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #88
cifa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katch View Post
Hi, I've been out of the Kobo loop for a while.

Is there a viable install method for Kobo Touch without SD card inside?
Not that I know off otherwise I would have considered it (but I am new to the Kobo scene). The only two methods I know off are ext-SD or int-SD (with dual boot options). I went for the int-SD option (no dual boot) & not looked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardoc View Post
Hi am9,
Could you can you share your image by other means than baidu ? I cant download from their.

Thanks !
As a gesture of goodwill, I was going to do that for you but then I saw the size of that file ...2.3gb to download?! Eek...I will give that one a miss....good luck.

Last edited by cifa; 05-01-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #89
anki
Connoisseur
anki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD | KSM9 | KoReader | Plato
Quote:
Originally Posted by cifa View Post
@anki,

you can get Google store working. I suggest reading the whole thread - I used this method to get it going: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=21

@Marek,

I can't get my Kobo glo to wake up from sleep
I have tried everything I know (changed MicroSD card etc...) I even tried a little hex editing: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228209 but generally not successful. any suggestions?

btw - great Touch image. I've had fun with that

@Cifa

msg.apk isn't worked for me. I can not install the modified msg.apk on the kobo wiht total commander, do i have first remove the app? if so how can i remove that app?

Also copy of the accounts.db isn't worked for me, after copy of the accounts.db my android system will not boot and restart automatically by "Initializing finishied" in black screen
anki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #90
cifa

I used the advice in post #21 but did not follow those instructions specifically.

Here's what I *think* I did:
I followed Mareks install instructions (post #1)
Then I went to settings >> autostarts
During startup: I enabled google services framework
After startup: I enabled gmail & the x4 google services framework
I then rebooted & then it finally allowed me to get play access & sync gmail etc...

It seemed to work after that. I did not bother with moving accounts db etc...

Hope that helps??