Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #76
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have no idea why this question is being ignored, so I'm going to ask again because an answer would be very helpful.

Is the wasted screen space at the bottom of the screen still wasted or has that been fixed?
I think people have said that the bottom menu bar with the page numbers is the same and there may be an extra line at the top.

I don't have it yet so can't say for sure.

BTW my T1 menu bar seems to use up the same amount of word space on the bottom page number bar as my mini and Aura. Ive never seen it as an issue with Sonys , do you?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #77
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I don't mind the "Sleeping" square as opposed to a banner. I think I actually prefer it, at least on the Aura. But I have to say that it falls under the heading of pointless fiddling with the UI while failing to address the most important issues that actually affect reading:

1. Being able to override the default margin and line spacing settings for ALL books

2. Managing the top and bottom margins and title-header/page-number-footer
You forgot sorting I want it to sort by what it says it is sorting by, to always sort by title when it says title, and author when it says author. I would also like the sort choice to carry across sto all the shelves or have a choseable default instead of always defaulting to title, and not always accurately.

Helen
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I think people have said that the bottom menu bar with the page numbers is the same and there may be an extra line at the top.

I don't have it yet so can't say for sure.

BTW my T1 menu bar seems to use up the same amount of word space on the bottom page number bar as my mini and Aura. Ive never seen it as an issue with Sonys , do you?

Helen
It's more then just one line at the bottom of the Aura. It's at least two lines wasted from the look of it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1367335877
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #79
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
It's more then just one line at the bottom of the Aura. It's at least two lines wasted from the look of it.

My T1 uses 2-3 lines at the bottom. My mother's Kindle keyboard uses none. I seem to almost need the bottom page numbers, but she doesn't care.

Helen
Old 06-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
My T1 uses 2-3 lines at the bottom. My mother's Kindle keyboard uses none. I seem to almost need the bottom page numbers, but she doesn't care.

Helen
The T1 uses only one line at the bottom. The other space is because there's not enough room for another line.
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #81
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
The T1 uses only one line at the bottom. The other space is because there's not enough room for another line.
It seems to stay constant even with a smaller font size. Some times room for two other lines. I actually went to the troubke of getting the same amount of text on the Mini and the T1 and the Aura and the T1, and the number of lines displayed stayed consistant. I paged through about 10 pages and they all started and ended with the same words. I am sure it can vary with different fonts and sizes but I see no more wasted space with things being approximately equal.

I would tell you to buy one as I know you want to, but there are other more annoying problems.
Keep your fingers crossed for a bigger and better Sony

Helen
Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #82
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I think there is a limit to how small the Kobo menu areas could be and still be useable for those with bigger fingers. After all the Sonys have buttons to call up the option menus whereas Kobo users have to be able to accurately press the icons in the menu area.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #83
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:

Kobo should allow users to adjust the kerning so that there's no wasted space between the letters, thus permitting even more text to be crammed onto the screen.

(Some of us like whitespace.)
Old 06-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #84
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:

Wow. That's practically unreadable for me. Maybe acknowledge for some of us whitespace isn't "wasted space". Your absolute language isn't necessarily representative everyone.

EDIT: But on-topic, can't wait to get home and see if the update's ready. I really like the Aura's HS and look forward to having it on my Glo.

Last edited by buffaloseven; 06-07-2013 at 05:46 PM.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Wow. That's practically unreadable for me. Maybe acknowledge for some of us whitespace isn't "wasted space". Your absolute language isn't necessarily representative everyone.
What you are finding unreadable is a smaller size then you'd be seeing on the screen of the Aura. If you where viewing that on the Aura, it might be readable for you.

What I call wasted space is space that one cannot use.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #86
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
What you are finding unreadable is a smaller size then you'd be seeing on the screen of the Aura. If you where viewing that on the Aura, it might be readable for you.

What I call wasted space is space that one cannot use.
It's not so much the font size but rather the spacing of the lines. Too much fighting for my attention. One of the fundamental understandings of typography is that as line length increases, line height needs to increase as well to maintain readability. Very small line spacing works for narrow columns of text, but in the screenshot you posted it's just way to difficult for me to focus.

Just how the key to making good music is a deep understanding of the space between notes, whitespace is critical in good typography.

Not to say that how you have it laid out doesn't work for you; rather reams of research would say that how you have it laid out wouldn't work for a majority of people.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #87
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Stupid question here, but has anyone updated their Mini yet? Sounds like most of the changes will not affect Kobo Mini users (except the title removal at the top of the page).
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #88
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Just how the key to making good music is a deep understanding of the space between notes, whitespace is critical in good typography.
Just as with ALL design fundamentals, often "less is more" (in this context: less text, enough white space).
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #89
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Quote:

EDIT: But on-topic, can't wait to get home and see if the update's ready. I really like the Aura's HS and look forward to having it on my Glo.
Agreed. Looks terrible on the page. If I had to look at that, I'd never read a book.
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #90
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Stupid question here, but has anyone updated their Mini yet? Sounds like most of the changes will not affect Kobo Mini users (except the title removal at the top of the page).
My Mini got the update about an hour ago. I am undecided as yet if I want it on my Glo or Aura. Though they did get rid of the book title on epubs, they did not return all of the space used for it at the top of the page for text (looks like one less line than you can get with FW 2.5.1.)
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote