Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #76
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Likewise. Been using and charging simultaneously since I got it in November. My jury's still out re: the latest update. Sometimes it wakes from sleep fine, sometimes it freezes.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #77
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
If it does not automatically show as available to you when your WiFi is on, then go into Settings>About Kobo Reader> System Update.

If you happen to get a message about a corrupted update file, no worries. Just try again.
thanks! I'd forgotten how

Anyone know if there is ay word on kobo touch/wi fi using Pulse? My 125 member book club wants me to suggest a reader next week and pulse would be a good selling feature.
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #78
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I have been charging my Vox while using it since I got it at the beginning of November. No problem doing that at all, everything continues to work fine. What do you believe will happen if you use while charging?
Same here, except now I usually do it when I'm not using it. Works both ways, except that I expect it charges faster when off since it's not draining at the same time.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #79
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox
Love this new update! The new reading menu is really cool and the sepia mode is much more like a real book
blacknirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:20 AM   #80
shad643
shad643 began at the beginning.

You can add my voice to the disappointment with the new update. my new vox (a replacement for a dead one) now freezes on wake from sleep if it wakes "normally" and viola I now have the sleep of death on my new vox since the update. My new vox is 4 days out of the box
shad643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 04:19 AM   #81
morval
morval began at the beginning.

I did a factory reset and as long as I never let the Vox go to sleep it is working incredibly well. I simply always remember to turn it off when I'm finished. I can even charge while it is on and I'm using it. I've set the timeout to be 30mins (the longest that I can see).

I recently forgot and left the Vox for more than 30mins and its locked up dead. I have to do the 10 second power button trick. Another thing that is interesting is after it turns on if I don't unlock it with the swipe after a few seconds it goes back to sleep and is frozen solid again.

Is there a "never go to sleep" setting?

So I think if they can just fix the sleep freeze bug it should be a very nice device. Youtube, regular videos all play nice for me. Angry Birds is addictive!

I just wish I had access to the regular app market, but I've done various work arounds to get some of my must have apps. (Droid Comic Viewer!)

Now I need to wrap the device up and put it under the tree for my niece. The only reason I opened it and tried it was because I had read about these problems and it was recommended to test the Vox out before Xmas. Glad I did!

Konrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by morval View Post
I got the Vox for my Niece and I've been trying it out so its ready for Xmas for her. But I just don't think this thing is ready for prime time! I have had nothing but problems. I can find work arounds, but the user shouldn't have to do this and a user that isn't experienced with electronic devices will have a hard time.

It doesn't charge except when turned off. The Wifi doesn't always turn back on. It freezes a lot and since the upgrade yesterday it 80% of the time won't come back from sleep mode. I read that perhaps it has trouble when you have wifi turned off and it comes back from sleep mode, but this just isn't a consumer ready device then.

And resetting the whole device to factory settings really isn't a good option for a three day old device with barely anything on it.

I don't think an 8 year old is going to be able to figure all these quirks out and its just going to be even more frustrating for her.

I hope I can take it back.

I'm very dissapointed.

Konrad
morval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #82
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by morval View Post
Is there a "never go to sleep" setting?
What you want to do is to set your Wifi to never go to sleep. This has solved the sleep-of-death problem for almost everyone (though it does give you a higher battery drain when the Vox is sleeping - but if you plan to turn it off and on it shouldn't be a problem).

You can do this by going into your Wifi Settings: Settings --> Wireless & networks --> Wi-Fi Settings --> Once here, hit
the settings button (the four lines) again on the bottom menu -->
Advanced --> Wi-Fi Sleep Policy - Set your Wi-Fi Sleep Policy to Never and your SOD is cured.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #83
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad643 View Post
You can add my voice to the disappointment with the new update. my new vox (a replacement for a dead one) now freezes on wake from sleep if it wakes "normally" and viola I now have the sleep of death on my new vox since the update. My new vox is 4 days out of the box
I think you can be assured that this is probably the most common bug on the Vox that many people are experiencing (as far as I can tell, it is actually an Android problem, which I imagine is causing the Kobo team a lot more stress trying to figure out how to get rid of it.)

I know for sure that this is on the Kobo team's radar and they are trying to figure out a solution.

The good news is, it doesn't affect usability of the machine once it is on. Many of us with the Sleep Of Death issue have learned to use our Vox just a little differently to avoid it (turn off if it will be asleep for a long period of time, change Wifi policy to never sleep [I posted instructions to this in the post above]).

Good luck and I hope that a) you can find a happy solution to make your Vox work best for you in these conditions and b) that the Kobo team comes up with a solution soon!
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #84
Glenn56
Glenn56 began at the beginning.

I hope I can remember all these little tricks on Sunday morning

Most likely I will be logging on here.

BTW; Merry Christmas Everybody!
Glenn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #85
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
My update went smoothly - and after 5-6 sleeps, appears to have fixed the sleep of death for me! Battery life has appeared to improve, too! I am a happy camper!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #86
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I have been charging my Vox while using it since I got it at the beginning of November. No problem doing that at all, everything continues to work fine. What do you believe will happen if you use while charging?
ps. I've gone through the 2 updates in the meantime. No problems with charging while using.
..... +1
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #87
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
Since the update, I now have to reset it everytime to turn it on from being completely off.
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #88
mike998
Exasperated Kobo Lover
mike998 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
I think you can be assured that this is probably the most common bug on the Vox that many people are experiencing (as far as I can tell, it is actually an Android problem, which I imagine is causing the Kobo team a lot more stress trying to figure out how to get rid of it.)

I know for sure that this is on the Kobo team's radar and they are trying to figure out a solution.

The good news is, it doesn't affect usability of the machine once it is on. Many of us with the Sleep Of Death issue have learned to use our Vox just a little differently to avoid it (turn off if it will be asleep for a long period of time, change Wifi policy to never sleep [I posted instructions to this in the post above]).

Good luck and I hope that a) you can find a happy solution to make your Vox work best for you in these conditions and b) that the Kobo team comes up with a solution soon!
Personally, I don't use the Vox for reading eBooks, my Kobo Touch is better suited for that. The Vox is more for .cbr files, audiobooks, movies and the like.

I think a great way to prove that it's not the Kobo software causing the problem is to have a vanilla android image available and allow us to load that on to the Vox. I know it's not going to happen, but I have a deep-seated belief that it's the Kobo Add-ons that are causing the issue.

I should have noted the android release version and the Kobo software version BEFORE the update and AFTER, for comparisons.
mike998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #89
sandyjunebug
sandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Touch 600
I have bought a Vox 3 days ago and have been trying to get it started, I got about 30% thru the updates and lost the wifi connection. Called customer help and they said it takes a strong wifi connection so I purchased a wireless router to try and can't get it to connect to my network, My next step is to go and see the Geeks for their help or to return the unit. This seems like a nice reader to have. Any suggestions
sandyjunebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #90
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Did you set up your router according to the directions? Do you have a wireless protocol other than WPA Enterprise or WPA2 Enterprise. Kobo will not work with either of those. Depending on how your router is set-up , you may need to add your MAC address and/or make sure that your Vox IP address is within the range specified in your router.

Here is the Kobo help page on setting up the Vox with a router: http://kobo.intelliresponse.com/inde...%20Kobo%20Vox?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote