Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think of the current MobileRead Logo
I love it, it must never be changed, my personal world would fall off its axis! 1 1.08%
It's fine the way it is. 8 8.60%
I'd kinda like to see something else. 72 77.42%
I hate it as I hate roaches, as I loathe the scum growing inside disused toilets, as .... 7 7.53%
*I* would like to design a new one! I'll attach it below when I get something! 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #76
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
The reason I come here is the great content and the good people. I didn't even think about the icon until the question was asked.

At first I thought a thumb would be just fine. Then I fell in love with gingercat's beautiful avatar. Why not a cat? But after seeing Steve's futuristic icon with the shadow underneath, I think I could go with that. It is the cat's miao (my spelling is tending toward the Chinese).
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:38 AM   #77
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I really like the suggestion of a hand in Steve's logo. I also liked the idea of the text fading to binary.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #78
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I agree with NatCh.

Don't forget, folks, a logo is simply supposed to be basic symbology that suggests a meaning. The text<->binary thing sort of puts the "e-" in e-book. Steve's hand and tilted, flat screen suggests hand-held mobility and electronic convenience. I think it works really well and doesn't depend on being large, high-color, or high-res to get the point across.

When it comes to symbols, you can't afford to look at them too literally. We still call them e-books, even though they aren't "books" in the sense of bound paper. We still call comic books books, too. Fictionwise uses a quill pen. It's not literal, but it gets the "fiction" concept across.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #79
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I like Steve's MRlogo3-- the screen with the buttons and shadow. I prefer it to the second one because keeping the arrows on the right keeps them out of the shadow and makes them more distinct. It also helps that it represents text, but does not show any as the mock-latin used in place of text can be annoying.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:54 PM   #80
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreeing with me is an excellent way to get me to think you're a genius, jasonkchapman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
... a logo is simply supposed to be basic symbology that suggests a meaning.
That is a really important point, I think. If we get too complex, we lose the point of the logo: something which is quickly and clearly recognizable as being "of MobileRead."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I like Steve's MRlogo3-- the screen with the buttons and shadow. I prefer it to the second one because keeping the arrows on the right keeps them out of the shadow and makes them more distinct. It also helps that it represents text, but does not show any as the mock-latin used in place of text can be annoying.
The mock latin is interesting (though I still favor the binary to text thing, personally -- they're not incompatible, I suppose), but I don't really like the arrows.

I really like the stylized hand, for exactly the reasons that jasonkchapman noted (though I hadn't gotten to putting the thought in words): "it suggests hand-held mobility and electronic convenience."
Advert
Old 08-27-2007, 09:01 AM   #81
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
logo3buttonsun0 and MRlogo3 are the best so far IMHO
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #82
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Agreeing with me is an excellent way to get me to think you're a genius, jasonkchapman!
I took Advanced Suck-up 101 in college. It was part of the "Career Building Series".

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
logo3buttonsun0 and MRlogo3 are the best so far IMHO
Which one is MRlogo3?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #83
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Probably quite relevant to point out the logo being used by http://www.booksonboard.com/.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #84
jasonkchapman
Guru

Hmmm. Books and bits.... Now there's an idea.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #85
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I agree with NatCh.

Don't forget, folks, a logo is simply supposed to be basic symbology that suggests a meaning. The text<->binary thing sort of puts the "e-" in e-book. Steve's hand and tilted, flat screen suggests hand-held mobility and electronic convenience. I think it works really well and doesn't depend on being large, high-color, or high-res to get the point across.
Good point, Jason. Also, the more basic the logo, the easier it "brands" into people's minds.

Pick any successful company. It's very likely that it uses a surprisingly "simple" logo (simple as in the degree of complexity).
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #86
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Which one is MRlogo3?
MRlogo3
Old 08-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #87
NatCh
Gizmologist

Okay, based unashamedly on one of Steve Jordan's variants, and combining several other ideas kicked around in the discussion, here's my (really) rough example of how I see them going together.

If somebody likes the idea enough, and has better skills/tools/talent in the area and wants to clean it up a bit, please consider yourself gratefully invited to do so.

I'll also upload the "blank" I worked from for the rough parts in case that helps someone (I pretty much borrowed it whole from Steve ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MR logo 02.png
Views:	348
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	5125   Click image for larger version

Name:	MR logo 01.png
Views:	355
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	5126  
Old 08-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #88
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Personally, I prefer versions without the hand. It just doesn't seem to fit for me.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:25 PM   #89
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Just an idea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobileread-dummy.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	5127  
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:06 PM   #90
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Just an idea
Not bad