Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #76
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think that epubcheck writes error reports out to stderr rather than stdout, which would explain why you're only seeing the version statement.
That's right. Fortunately, the remedy is simple. Instead of
Code:
java -jar epubcheck-1.0.5.jar colomba.epub > verifyout.txt
one needs to say
Code:
java -jar epubcheck-1.0.5.jar colomba.epub > verifyout.txt 2>&1
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #77
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

My thanks to all three of you that have responded to my query so far.

Dmapr: Yes, once I knew what the output was being directed to I found that solution. So that problem solved.

The file name I am using, mimetype, and its content, application/epub+zip, are correct so it must have something to do with how I am doing the compression. I have always used 7-Zip File Manager according to the following steps:

add mimetype to create the archive using Compression Level – Store

add OEBPS folder (containing all book content files) to archive using Compression Level – Normal

add META-INF folder (holds container.xml) to archive using Compression Level – Normal

Change file name to epub extension (from zip)

This has always produced an epub file readable as far as I am aware by all devices; personally verified Sony 900, Sony 505, Calibre, Firefox epub plugin, and Adobe reader.
This is why I have never worried over that message before, but if there is another suggestion for how to do the compression to produce a completely 'legit' file I have open eyes.
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 03:11 AM   #78
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
This has always produced an epub file readable as far as I am aware by all devices; personally verified Sony 900, Sony 505, Calibre, Firefox epub plugin, and Adobe reader.
This is why I have never worried over that message before, but if there is another suggestion for how to do the compression to produce a completely 'legit' file I have open eyes.
Look at your epub with a hex editor. If bytes 0x1E to 0x39 are not mimetypeapplication/epub+zip then it's not a valid ePub file.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #79
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Look at your epub with a hex editor. If bytes 0x1E to 0x39 are not mimetypeapplication/epub+zip then it's not a valid ePub file.
Even with something like notepad the text above will show up clear on the first line. That is why it is first and not compressed.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #80
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So while I would have loved to be a writer, that was not my Muse. I became a Chemical Engineer instead [BS & PhD at Cal, go Bears] and had to make do with no Muse at all. I did learn the scientific experimental method though and thought I would apply it.

Someone recently uploaded an illustrated version of Kim by Kipling here that seemed likely to pass epubcheck.

Step 1. Download that epub file an run epubcheck on it. As expected no errors or warnings.

Step 2. Decompress this file using 7-Zip and then compress that back into an epub file using the procedure described in my previous post.

Step 3. Run epubcheck on the file from step 2. Result:

Code:
 ERROR: Kim2.epub: length of first filename in archive must be 8, but was 9

Check finished with warnings or errors!
So that's interesting. How do others do the compression, with what program?

Note changed file names to Kim.epub & Kim2.epub
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #81
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I use info zip from a command line or just let windows do it using drag and drop. I use 7zip for other things but not this.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I use WinRAR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #83
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I use WinRAR.
+1. Same here.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:36 AM   #84
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chang View Post
Maybe this goes under this thread..

I was wondering why my ePubs pass the epubcheck 1.0.5 validation but with some books ADE gives a warning "The document appears to have minor errors that might cause it to be displayed incorrectly". This doesn't even happen every time with same ePub, only sometimes.

Does someone know what's the logic behind ADE's warning because afaik it uses epubcheck validator also or am I totally wrong?
Quote:
ADE does it's own validation in addition or possibly instead of using epubcheck.
Would be nice to know does ADE know something more than epubcheck. Should I be worried about the warning message?
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #85
ShawnM
ShawnM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just so you know: epubcheck is totally meaningless. A file that *passes* epubcheck may or may not work with any given epub renderer. A file that *does not pass* epubcheck may or may not work with any given epub renderer.
I agree with you.

This is what I find strange...I got two different results running two different checkers. These were epub books that I produced for an author.

i) I ran ePub check (version 1.2) and it said there were some errors.
ii) I used Atlantis' epub checker and it passed with no errors.

Does epub check have some flaws I should know about?

The books render fine on every ebook device, so I know there are no "known issues", or formatting errors, that I need to worry about.
ShawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #86
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
The only known issues that I'm aware of involve OEPBS 1.2 syntax OPF files not validating because it can't find the unique-identifier. But you can look at the official bug list yourself.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #87
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If epubcheck says it has some errors, the file is most probably not valid. That doesn't mean it won't work in any reader, it might, or it might not, but the file doest not comply with the specs.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #88
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I rely on FlightCrew only...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:28 AM   #89
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I use both so when one gives an error in martian maybe the other will give you a clue of what the heck it was talking about.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #90
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
First I am running under Windows XP and would like to have the epubcheck output write to a file so that I have the written output and also can use a BAT file to run it instead of typing the whole command at a command prompt each time. The trouble is that a BAT file of:

Code:
java -jar epubcheck-1.0.5.jar colomba.epub > verifyout.txt
produces the file verifyout.txt with content consisting only of:

Code:
Epubcheck Version 1.0.5
Use
Code:
java -jar epubcheck-1.0.5.jar colomba.epub 2> verifyout.txt
to get the stderr text.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote