Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #76
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
- - - -
@eschwartz: I am like a small child listening to the grown-ups speak. I think your code means FONT_RAMP is still present and working in 5.6.2.1? If so, thank you for checking!
- - - -
That post is a worked, step-by-step, example of the commands to run (if on Linux or in a Linux VM) to find the FONT_RAMP string in the Java binaries.

- - - -

Underneath the GUI(s), Linux and Mac OSx both derive from Unix systems -
You'll find many similarities at the command line level.

For a little practice (since your Kindle runs Linux, not just an academic waste of time) -
Try playing with a Linux Live CD (which doesn't change anything on your Apple, Pear, Peach, whatever).

This is a popular one -
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

But there are a lot of choices out there -
http://livecdlist.com/
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #77
tono1020
Connoisseur
tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook (Gen3, Opus), K3, K4NT, PW, PW2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Was the device jailbroken?
Did the jailbreak survive?

Did you have the Backdoor lock installed and locked?
Did it prevent the automatic update, so that you had to manually allow the update?
No, device wasn't jailbroken. Backdoor lock was not installed. I manually copied BIN and updated KV.
tono1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #78
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The bridge should theoretically still be effective w/ 5.6.2.1, the basics should survive the trip. Whether anything actually works after that is anyone's guess, though .

The keyword being *theoretically* since I'm still not running 5.6.x on any of my devices .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:13 AM   #79
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Try playing with a Linux Live CD (which doesn't change anything on your Apple, Pear, Peach, whatever).
What if I have a Pineapple? Just kidding! Thank you, I will check it out!

P.S. FONT_RAMP working for me too on 5.6.2.1. No jailbreak. Curious why Amazon has allowed this. An oversight they will eventually correct or intentional relaxing of tight control?

Last edited by odamizu; 04-29-2015 at 12:21 AM. Reason: added P.S.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:33 AM   #80
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This would have to be pretty deliberate.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 12:40 AM   #81
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
This would have to be pretty deliberate.
Ooh! I like the sound of that!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #82
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
- - - -
P.S. FONT_RAMP working for me too on 5.6.2.1. No jailbreak. Curious why Amazon has allowed this. An oversight they will eventually correct or intentional relaxing of tight control?
Possibly as a replacement for the "use alternate fonts" feature -

Which caused them, their users, and us no end of trouble (a user supplied, bad font file can seriously brick a Kindle).
Old 05-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #83
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
I just got my Kindle Voyage with 5.6.2.1. The trick with /mnt/us/FONT_RAMP does not work for me.

Did anyone else have any trouble with this?
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #84
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
I just got my Kindle Voyage with 5.6.2.1. The trick with /mnt/us/FONT_RAMP does not work for me.

Did anyone else have any trouble with this?
Only those who used the example that had a few of the values using ',' for the decimal point instead of using '.' .
Old 05-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #85
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
It is strange. The file is Unix-ending (still irrelevant as there is no line ending). Uses dots, not commas. Is placed in the usb root. Is named as it should. Still wrong.

I should reboot after each change of the file contents?

LE: I was testing with mobi files. As I understand, with these it does not work.

Last edited by hfpop; 05-21-2015 at 03:07 PM.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #86
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Would something similar work with margins? I would really like to get the bottom margin lower.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #87
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
No, this requires vanilla firmware support as it is shipped by Amazon. As far as we know, they have only left a configuration option for the font sizes.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:29 PM   #88
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Would something similar work with margins? I would really like to get the bottom margin lower.
You would have to block or hide the information bar at the bottom of the screen.
It may be a bit hard to see, since it has a white background, but it is there.

Hmm....
Perhaps a modification of 'fronter' could move that bar to a hidden layer so that area could be used for page viewing.

- - - -

But whatever, you will have to jailbreak the device to gain access to the full file system.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:36 AM   #89
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Oh well, that's that then.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #90
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tono1020 View Post
Don't use line ending. There is my file in attachment.
Edit: Extract it first. It is in ZIP, because I couldn't upload file with no extension.
Thank you!
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font_ramp