Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #76
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Not at all. Your point is only made when you set the parameters in such a way that favors your outcome. And even then, you aren't looking at the big picture.

Following your logic: The average consumer will only buy a device when the screen is somewhat fuzzy. I'm saying that when comparing the Voyage to the Oasis. People obviously did not like the sharp Voyage screen. That is why the Voyage did not get a follow-up and the Oasis did.

Or we could just be honest and say that the features are on factor in an average consumer's decision, but then there are other factors as well. The Paperwhite hits the feature to cost ratio that makes most purchasers happy.
No, he's correct. If the light guide allowed red light to refract in an anomalous or unwanted way it wouldn't work properly. White light is composed of all frequencies of visible light so I still fail to see why the light guide would need to be re-engineered just to accommodate a few red LEDs? It basically works like an optic fibre run using total internal reflection.

Where is there even anecdotal evidence that warm lights compromise screen clarity on e-readers? I haven't read a single account of this.

Last edited by max99; 10-30-2021 at 11:16 AM.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:14 AM   #77
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
Where is there even anecdotal evidence that warm lights compromise screen clarity on e-readers? I haven't read a single account of this.
There was a poster here who complained about this. I've never seen another account besides that. But it was just that poster's personal opinion.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2021, 11:23 AM   #78
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
There was a poster here who complained about this. I've never seen another account besides that. But it was just that poster's personal opinion.
I tried it out last night on my new PW. It seemed OK to me. I still don't like the look, but the text was legible and sharp. As a photographer who can read, and with years of experience in both disciplines , I'm used to judging screen sharpness; and if there is any diminution of sharpness, it is so small, that it seemed irrelevant to my eyes.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:26 AM   #79
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I tried it out last night on my new PW. It seemed OK to me. I still don't like the look, but the text was legible and sharp. As a photographer who can read, and with years of experience in both disciplines , I'm used to judging screen sharpness; and if there is any diminution of sharpness, it is so small, that it seemed irrelevant to my eyes.
I think the actual issue is not the color of LEDs, but the color of an unlit screen itself. Recent screens are somewhat yellower than the older ones were. But the frontlight mostly compensates this. Still, obviously it was not enough for the person complaining.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:30 AM   #80
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
No, he's correct. If the light guide allowed red light to refract in an anomalous or unwanted way it wouldn't work properly. White light is composed of all frequencies of visible light so I still fail to see why the light guide would need to be re-engineered just to accommodate a few red LEDs? It basically works like an optic fibre run using total internal reflection.

You quoted me in your reply, but your reply seemingly has nothing to do with what was being discussed?

I did mention earlier that warm lighting does not make the text fuzzier and you just said the same thing. So even if you meant to quote an earlier message, you were on my side, not theirs.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2021, 06:28 PM   #81
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I honestly have never seen any lack of sharpness on anything since the earliest PWs (i.e. the earliest 300dpi models, so what I'm really noticing is the screen resolution, I think).

But my eyes are terrible enough that the optometrist clears the decks for an hour when I've got an appointment, so I can hardly say anything one way or the other on that score. I'm just happy I can see the screen at all
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:25 AM   #82
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You quoted me in your reply, but your reply seemingly has nothing to do with what was being discussed?

I did mention earlier that warm lighting does not make the text fuzzier and you just said the same thing. So even if you meant to quote an earlier message, you were on my side, not theirs.
Must have quoted you accidentally. Sorry. I was responding to the slightly bizarre claim that the light guide would have to be re engineered to accommodate red light - a wavelength it already works with due to white light LEDs.

Last edited by max99; 10-31-2021 at 12:30 AM.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:21 PM   #83
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
You can watch this video and decide if it's something you want to tackle

https://youtu.be/zFqBrIE4mT0
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Marvelous video - that looks manageable!
Quote:
I've replaced a Voyage battery and it is quite a bit more fiddly than that Youtube video suggests. There's glue under the shiny back plate which is a bitch to remove and you need to be careful you don't snap off the thin plastic clips that hold it in place.

The battery is also very well stuck down. I'd use a credit card when you get to that stage.
Yes, it's quite a bit more difficult than advertised. I suspect the one in the video had already been taken apart once before. Mine had double-sided tape under the very first plastic to be removed. Removing the large part of the back was much harder too; only the fact that the Voyage was already broken made me keep going.

And then - yeah, the battery is glued in place. I used a plastic kitchen spatula, and got it slightly released. There was still a large glued section left. Given that my battery was already expanding and pushing the front glass out of place, I didn't want to bend/torque/tug on the battery any further. So I gave up.

I'm investigating where to dispose of expanding batteries.

I still have my Oasis v1, but I may look at new Oases over the upcoming (& ongoing) Black Friday sales.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #84
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
All this talk about the Voyage has made me sad all over again. When mine died, I was mad at Amazon for discontinuing the Voyage, I didn’t want to spend the money for an Oasis or Forma. The Libre had not been released yet so I bought a PW. I hate it. The screen is ok but I can’t live without buttons. So I bought a Nook 7.8. I actually like it fine. I just don’t love it. I prefer a flush screen. I still miss my Voyage. I am getting the urge to upgrade. I wonder if the Oasis is going to be updated anytime soon, or should I consider the Sage.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:49 PM   #85
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
All this talk about the Voyage has made me sad all over again. When mine died, I was mad at Amazon for discontinuing the Voyage, I didn’t want to spend the money for an Oasis or Forma. The Libre had not been released yet so I bought a PW. I hate it. The screen is ok but I can’t live without buttons. So I bought a Nook 7.8. I actually like it fine. I just don’t love it. I prefer a flush screen. I still miss my Voyage. I am getting the urge to upgrade. I wonder if the Oasis is going to be updated anytime soon, or should I consider the Sage.
If you loved your Voyage (as I do) you will love the Sage. The display is beautiful, the contrast crisp and, of course, it can be customized to one's liking (with and without patching). The shape is very comfortable and the buttons are well placed for those who use them as well as those who do not. I find the 8" display to be the perfect size. Bluetooth, USB-C and 32GB is standard. I also have the official Kobo origami cover which is beautiful, as are all of Kobo's official covers.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:09 PM   #86
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
why rush.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:38 AM   #87
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
If you loved your Voyage (as I do) you will love the Sage. The display is beautiful, the contrast crisp and, of course, it can be customized to one's liking (with and without patching). The shape is very comfortable and the buttons are well placed for those who use them as well as those who do not. I find the 8" display to be the perfect size. Bluetooth, USB-C and 32GB is standard. I also have the official Kobo origami cover which is beautiful, as are all of Kobo's official covers.
It’s still a lottery how good the screen is on any e-reader, speaking from the perspective of a yellow/green tinged Kobo Sage.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:17 AM   #88
willaful
Connoisseur
willaful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
I love just about everything about my Voyage but right now, I especially love that it doesn't have the new paperwhite software update. WORST. UPDATE. EVER. No back button, no library home button, and it crawls. I really hope the Voyage isn't going to wind up with it at some point.
willaful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For those missing the Voyage, read this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
The Libra 2 is a GORGEOUS device -- absolutely the best screen I've seen on any e-reader, including my Kindle Voyage. Very contrasty and clear fonts. The only possible knock is that the background is a little darker/greyer than the Forma, which might bother some, but I'm good with it.

And did I mention oh what a screen?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:22 PM   #90
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For those missing the Voyage, read this.
Yeah. I don't have my Voyage anymore, but the Sage also has very sharp and dark fonts, and the Libra 2 is said to be better than the Sage. I'm waiting for my Libra 2 from Amazon.fr. It should be shipped any day now.

Of course neither the Sage nor the Libra are suitable for those who want a small, pocketable device. They're both larger than the Voyage (the Sage with its 8'' screen is quite a bit larger and heavier).