Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2022, 07:09 AM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetBest View Post
Good point. That's why we record movies to skip the ads. We do not or hardly
watch commercial TV as most is crap anyhow. More reading nowadays.
Most of what I watch on TV is recorded. This way I can bypass the commercials.

In just over 120 minutes, I may be able to watch 3 TV series episodes in the time it takes to watch two with commercials.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:24 AM   #77
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Just to check, but the '"More" menu', do you mean the page that should be accessed by tapping "More" in the button bar on the home screen and book lists? If so, it is definitely not happening here. Both of the examples given are working as expected. Do you have patches, NickelMenu or any other hack installed?

I see this occasionally, but, not most of the times I use these functions. What do you have for the screen refresh option? And it is one of those fun things where people complained about the refresh being triggered aggressively after a look up.

I don't have any non-Kobo devices to compare to, but, with 1163 books on my Sage, I don't see any issues. It is not as fast as my laptop or my iPad, but, I also don't expect it to be. I can scroll through the book list as fast as I can swipe the pages as fast as I can swipe. There is lag for the cover display the first time, but, that goes away once the cover has been generated. Page turning in epubs or kepubs are faster than I can move my eye from the end of the page to the start, so that is fast enough. I don't read comics except when experimenting, so, I can't comment on that.

Exactly where is the scrollbar missing? I can see it on the Collections tab and when I open a collection that has more than one page of books.

A couple of you problems make me wonder if the update did not install properly. Try manually installing the update and see if that solves things. Or if there is a difference between behaviour just after restarting the device and later.
1. Kobo Sage manually updated. No patches or hacks installed.
I turned on Wi-Fi to sync the new firmware since I was concerned about the More menu being opened erroneously. I think it’s fixed that issue.

3. Page refresh settings are every Chapter. I tried a book in English and a book in Japanese with vertical sentence style. The extreme ghosting only occurs when reading Japanese in vertical sentence style. Not sure why. However, Japanese text selection of words instead of just particles/articles has gotten better and more precise, I feel. Japanese text is fuzzy in some sentences after a highlight but fixed when I tap the screen for a refresh. I don’t know enough about font rendering to understand why this is.

4. Cover lag issue is annoying and I just have accepted that no ereader will load and display all newly added covers in one import like the Nook devices. Even Kindle lags to display covers, albeit less so than Kobo. I only mind because I’m coming from Nook experience as comparison.

5. In Collections, the list of Collection Names has no scroll bar when there are more than 10 collections. The Wi-Fi sync and restart seems to have fixed this.

I like pinch to zoom but I am having trouble getting the right size since sometimes my zoom bubble doesn’t display the potential size. I think I won’t update again until there is an international keyboard.

Last edited by gforgiraffe39935; 07-25-2022 at 08:28 AM. Reason: clarification of Japanese text issue
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2022, 09:17 AM   #78
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That sounds logical. Right now, Kobo Plus is only available in Canada, Belgium, and The Netherlands.
Wrong again. See https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...mmon-questions.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 01:43 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I got that info direct from Kobo.

https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/plus
Quote:
Currently, Kobo Plus subscriptions are exclusively available to residents of Canada, Belgium and the Netherlands. If you change your billing address to another country while you have an active subscription, you’ll still have access to your Kobo Plus books until you reach the end of your current billing period, but you won’t be able to search for or add new Kobo Plus titles to your subscription.

Once your current billing period ends, your Kobo Plus subscription will be cancelled. You can always renew it if you move back to Canada, Belgium, or the Netherlands.
Old 07-25-2022, 01:59 PM   #80
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Sadly, some Kobo pages don't seem to get updated all that often. Give the person responsible three lashes with a soggy spaghetti noodle!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2022, 02:28 PM   #81
CanuckT
CanuckT began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have a Libra 2 running firmware 4.33.19759 and using Calibre 6.1 using KoboTouchExtended 3.6.0.

When I try to sync the device, it says the database version is unsupported, but I don't see a way to override it as we could before. Has anyone overcome this yet?
CanuckT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 02:35 PM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckT View Post
I have a Libra 2 running firmware 4.33.19759 and using Calibre 6.1 using KoboTouchExtended 3.6.0.

When I try to sync the device, it says the database version is unsupported, but I don't see a way to override it as we could before. Has anyone overcome this yet?
You can go into the KoboTouchExtended driver's configuration and select the Metadata, on device & Advanced tab and check Attempt to support newer firmware. That works.
Old 07-25-2022, 02:35 PM   #83
CanuckT
CanuckT began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
NVM - I found it in the Configure area - just missed it on first scan. Would be nice if we could just override it from the dialogue.

Thanks @JSWolf
CanuckT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:38 AM   #84
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
I have upgraded my Kobo's to 4.33.19759.
I previously had an annoying but small problem with the dictionary, I only use the English one

When I searched for a word say Dictionary, I almost always got a response like this:

"There were no matches for Dictionary the closest match was Dictionary."

And then a correct description of the meaning of the word.
Problem gone after update

Books were KEPUB's converted from EPUB using KoboTouchExtended.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:37 AM   #85
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Libra (original) and Elipsa seem OK on this FW, but I have reverted to to 4.32.19501 on the Sage (which works fine).
Intermittent Issues with 4.33.19759 on Sage:
1. Advanced Notebook Export needs cancelled, retry instant. Seen on other 4.33.x versions.
2. Advanced Notebook Screen can go blank. Seen on other 4.33.x versions.
3. Advanced Notebook Screen can cycle each quadrant, sort of flashes.
4. epub page stops turning via tap, swipe or buttons. Even if slept. On returning to My Books the ebpub wouldn't reopen. A DRM free ebook. Message about Adobe authorisation. On tapping the dialog, the reader rebooted and then the book worked, though last position was out of date. Was able to complete the book.

1 to 4 are intermittent.

Edit:
A login puts
SideloadedMode=false
Further down the section and this overrides
SideloadedMode=true

Last edited by Quoth; 07-27-2022 at 04:46 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:43 AM   #86
CyberPaul
Groupie
CyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage - Tolino Vision 4 HD - Kobo Sage
So it looks like this version is not recommended for the Sage, isn't it?
CyberPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:07 AM   #87
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
So it looks like this version is not recommended for the Sage, isn't it?
So far the 4.32.19501 seems best for the Sage. All the later versions are intermittently unstable, the Advanced Notebooks being worst.

Read for 10 hrs after revert and added to three Advanced Notebooks. I always export txt or doxc before exiting a notebook.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:52 PM   #88
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
Zoom lock… that’s huge considering how long it takes to turn a pdf page. Might make ODFs readable on the base software when I’m downloading books in PDF format

Also I love the pinch zoom feature. I hope they bring it to the Kobo app too.
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:29 PM   #89
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Didn't they have pinch to change font size in older firmware? I remember it being a feature I activated by mistake and hated it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:35 PM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Didn't they have pinch to change font size in older firmware? I remember it being a feature I activated by mistake and hated it.
This is the first time pinch to change the font size has been implemented as far as I know.

Tags
firmware, firmware release