Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #76
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh yes, I'm well aware of that, but I don't know who it appealed to. It makes me cringe to watch it . I suppose some people must have liked it, as you say.
People want to be entertained and not think for themselves. Jokes must be obvious and not too deep. It's also why I don't like those American comedies (usually, there are exceptions). They are so over the top that the "joke" is shouting itself to you.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #77
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh yes, I'm well aware of that, but I don't know who it appealed to. It makes me cringe to watch it . I suppose some people must have liked it, as you say.
Some of his shows are "cringe worthy", but there are some really good parts in there. You probably turned it off too quickly,.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #78
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Some of his shows are "cringe worthy", but there are some really good parts in there. You probably turned it off too quickly,.
One of the advantages is that the skits were so short that if you don't like one, another one will come along quickly.

But, yeah, when people say "British Humor," they are usually thinking of a particular type of comedy that includes Monty Python but that does not include Mr. Bean or Benny Hill.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #79
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
One of the advantages is that the skits were so short that if you don't like one, another one will come along quickly.

But, yeah, when people say "British Humor," they are usually thinking of a particular type of comedy that includes Monty Python but that does not include Mr. Bean or Benny Hill.
Maybe Monty Python but I am more thinking of Wodehouse, Three Men in a Boat and Yes, Minister.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #80
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
I read in Swedish if a) that is the original language of the book or b) there is no English translation (from a third language) of the book or c) I can't be bothered waiting for the English translation.

I read in Icelandic because a) I think it is the most beautiful language I know and b) because my son sends me the latest book by Arnaldur Indridason every Christmas.

I read - very rarely - in Norwegian because sometimes you just have to struggle with the language if it's the original language of the book. Like Sigrid Undset's 'Förtällingen av Vigdis og Vigaljot' (with Swedish equivalents of the Norwegian letters).

I read - also rarely - in German because I don't want to admit to my wife, a teacher of German and English, that I've forgotten my German.

I do, however, write in English nowadays.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #81
kaleissin
Connoisseur
kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Sapkowski's witcher is (in contrary to English) already completely translated too.
Can't buy it for Kindle though since I don't have a German address and a German credit card/bank account.

That's what annoys me the most with ebooks really, only getting to buy the "international ebooks" from amazon.com If they are physical I can buy them from anywhere but if I wanted to buy physical books I wouldn't hang on mobileread now would I?

Hm, is all of Karl May's stuff ebookified?
kaleissin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #82
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I don't know if exactly all, but very much of his stuff is.

We have quite a lot of his books here in our MobileRead library, another useful link could be this:
http://www.karl-may-gesellschaft.de/...mlit/index.htm
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #83
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Funny to see Karl May mentioned here. I met a German traveller on the 4 day 4 night train journey from Teheran to Istanbul in 1972 who told me about him and had wanted to read him ever since. Now that I have found him in ebook format maybe I can finally do it.
When I first arrived in France, I started reading all the Arsene Lupin (a gentleman thief who is the perfect anti-Sherlock Holmes) books I could get my hands on. It is in an antiquated style but still helped me with my French vocabulary stock. I hardly read books in French nowadays.
These days, I read mostly non-fiction in English. That is 80% of my reading.
For fiction, I love the detective stories set in samurai Edo by the Japanese author Ikenami Shotaro 池波正太郎。I have read all 16 volumes of his Kenkaku shobai 剣客商売series, and the 7 volume Fujieda Baian 藤枝梅安 hit man series. I am now on volume 6 of his 24 volume Onihei hankacho 鬼平犯科帳 series。
I don't read very much in Chinese anymore but I used to enjoy Sanxia wuyi 三侠五义 and its sequels. They are adventure stories like the Three musketeers with ninja like characters and lots of kung fu action.
Kumabjorn mentioned: "That sounds interesting. Could you provide some examples? The reason being that 漢字 is Chinese incorporated into Japanese. Seems to me they would just imoprt back old Chinese expressions, or are they using characters to express words like kimoi キモい and ikumen イクメン?"
These are words written in kanji created by the Japanese and reimported into Chinese. Words like bento 弁当 (meaning lunch box) or 大幅 pronounced oohaba in Japanese but now used in Chinese and pronounced dafu (meaning large scale). A bit like the way "au paire" has been reimported into French from the English.
Talking of linguistic coincidences of words sounding and meaning the same in Finnish and Japanese. How about this. The common word in modern Turkish for foreigner is Yabanci (i without the dot) with yaban meaning wild or savage. In Japanese Yaban 野蛮 is a Chinese borrowing and means the same thing. How about that.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #84
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Another of such strange coincidences is "stranger/alien":

jap. gaijidin
Yiddish: goj
Romani: (m) gadjio

Isn't the fact that it's specifically the word for "not one of us" strange? Have a gin-tonic while you think about it...
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #85
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Another of such strange coincidences is "stranger/alien":

jap. gaijidin
Yiddish: goj
Romani: (m) gadjio

Isn't the fact that it's specifically the word for "not one of us" strange? Have a gin-tonic while you think about it...
I don't want to be a kvetch but the Japanese word for foreigner is gaijin (to rhyme with guy jean) and the Yiddish word for non Jewish male is normally spelt goy in English. So the only letter in common is g. In that case why not argue that the English word guy is another coincidence?
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #86
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
On the topic of being a kvetch, the Japanese word gaijin (外人) is actually an abbreviation of the more formal and correct gaikokujin (外国人) and is by some considered a derogatory term. Of course the real derogatory terms for Westerners are keto (毛唐) and nanbanjin (南蛮人) or Southern Barbarian because they approached Japan from Taiwan and Indonesia, even though they originated from Portugal.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #87
andy1m
Enthusiast
andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: K4NT, PaperWhite
I read Indonesian (bahasa Indonesia), English and Mandarin books. But most my books are in English.
andy1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #88
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I read in english, spanish, italian and portuguese. :-)

sadly, french is kinda alien.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #89
slussen
slussen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Although there's a thread warning because of the date, I'll proceed here anyway.
I like to read Swedish, French and Spanish, mainly nineteenth and early twentieth century literature, but I'd also like to find time for German and Italian classics as I have some command of these, especially the former.
I wish Kindle would provide an Icelandic dictionary too (built-in, as it were) because I'd love to refresh my reading of the sagas. Two of the papers I had in my external Scandinavian languages degree at London were in Icelandic.
Good to see that they have provided Chinese and Japanese for the Paperwhite. And I suppose you can add them to the Touch.
slussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #90
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
They are available in the K4NT at least, and also the Kindle apps for Android.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote