Device: enTourage eDGe, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I'm tempted to ask about the world you inhabit, where Fantasy is not about
"things atypical and different"; but as to the dragon stories discussed so far
I wouldn't describe any of them as "the typical dragon...KILL! thing". Aside
from a T-shirt, and my own preference for a little purging of the more mushy
romantic characters we seem to see all too often, the dragons mentioned
tend to avoid excessive human consumption.

Luck;
Ken
well, I mean fantasy that doesn't go about the pitfalls of the typical fantasy stuff... like: elves=good, dragons=evil..less cookie-cutter fantasy and more so unique in it's own fashion
Rhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #77
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Go for the dragons. Leave out romance.
+1, and +1 for Naomi Novik, too.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #78
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhale View Post
well, I mean fantasy that doesn't go about the pitfalls of the typical fantasy stuff... like: elves=good, dragons=evil..less cookie-cutter fantasy and more so unique in it's own fashion
Well you might like "The Halfblood Chronicles" because the elves aren't so
good nor the dragons bad (although there are some exceptions noted)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #79
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I don't go out of my way to avoid dragons and I don't seek out books with dragons either.

The most enjoyable books I've read with dragons was probably the first few books of Novik's Temeraire series. The worst book was 'Touched by Venom'. I think I tried to read it on a dare, and which I ended up happily losing.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:35 AM   #80
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
If there's a dragon on the cover or the word 'dragon' in the title, then that book's not getting purchased by me. I haven't thrown a book at the wall if a dragon pops up in the storyline but if a dragon is a primary character then I'm not interested.

I don't hate dragons per se, it's just that I fail to see what is so fascinating about them. To me, it just seems to be an adult transference to dragons of the girlish love-of-horses (I managed to miss that one, too ).
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 04:11 AM   #81
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Well but horses don't fly, they don't spit fire, they're not one of the most mythological intelligent creatures...

I don't know, I don't search for books with Dragons but when I come across one I don't mind at all. But as I previously said it has to be correctly done.

*EDIT* Well you have Pegasus that's cool too I suppose, you have Hippogriff/Hippogryph, they're cool too, I wouldn't mind to read something where any of these creatures were in.

Last edited by AkumaTakeshi; 07-08-2011 at 04:14 AM.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #82
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I can't believe that I have just read through 6 pages of posts and nobody has spoken up for Robin Hobb's dragons!

For me, dragons rule over werewolves and vampires.

Dragons can be really useful; they can fly you from A to B in next to no time without any extra charges for baggage, etc; they can roast a chicken or joint of beef in a couple of breaths; they can keep you warm on cold nights or in raging blizzards; they can even keep cats off your vegetable patch.

What good are werewolves and vampires?
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #83
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Call a Vet - Have the Dragons put down !!!
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #84
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philandjan View Post
What good are werewolves and vampires?
I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to tame a Werewolf or a Vampire, but hey you can always try, what's the worse that could happen eh?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #85
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by philandjan View Post
I can't believe that I have just read through 6 pages of posts and nobody has spoken up for Robin Hobb's dragons!
Heh. While we're supporting underrepresented dragons, I haven't seen anyone mention Jane Yolen's pit dragons yet. Loved loved loved Heart's Blood as a kid. Still loved it the last time I read it.

Last edited by Nancy Fulda; 07-08-2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: typo
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #86
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker

I guess you'll all gonna make me buy some Dragon books >.<

Specially Naomi Novik ones, so many people recommended them.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #87
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaTakeshi View Post
I guess you'll all gonna make me buy some Dragon books >.<

Specially Naomi Novik ones, so many people recommended them.
DO IT!!! YOU'LL LOVE NOVIK'S WORK!!!!

Well, actually, I do not know that, I have not yet read Novik... guess I will to at some point.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #88
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
DO IT!!! YOU'LL LOVE NOVIK'S WORK!!!!

Well, actually, I do not know that, I have not yet read Novik... guess I will to at some point.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #89
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
If there's a dragon on the cover or the word 'dragon' in the title, then that book's not getting purchased by me. I haven't thrown a book at the wall if a dragon pops up in the storyline but if a dragon is a primary character then I'm not interested.

I don't hate dragons per se, it's just that I fail to see what is so fascinating about them. To me, it just seems to be an adult transference to dragons of the girlish love-of-horses (I managed to miss that one, too ).
Hmmmm, sounds like a closet dragon lover to me. Don't worry, we won't tell your secret.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #90
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Hmmmm, sounds like a closet dragon lover to me. Don't worry, we won't tell your secret.
that was my limit, couldn't hold a laugh IRL, my colleagues even gave me a strange look and all

Xanthe come out of the closet, come on

That remind me of a South Park episode, too bad can't remember it's name... well wait a bit...

... ah here it is:

Trapped in the Closet

Too bad couldn't find a more complete version