Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: December 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky 10 10.53%
Walden by Henry David Thoreau 8 8.42%
Call of the Wild by Jack London 5 5.26%
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens 11 11.58%
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins 17 17.89%
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas 10 10.53%
A Room With A View by E. M. Forster 12 12.63%
War of the Worlds by H G Wells 16 16.84%
Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain 5 5.26%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #76
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that this is the holiday season, it's way way way too large to finish in December.
Obviously you don't spend enough time reading.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Obviously you don't spend enough time reading.
I do. But I prefer to read something that's not an old tomb of a book that most likely won't interest me. Also, in case I don't have the time for a rather large book, I want to read something I will have the time for. And The Woman in White at 597 ePub pages may be too large.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-26-2010 at 05:49 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #78
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I do. But I prefer to read something that's not an old tomb of a book that most likely won't interest me.
I'm fine with that. But, you have to realize there are more people in the book club than one.

Also... the point of the book club is to read a book that you don't think would interest you, because you may be surprised. I know I have been several times already.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #79
Altoanto
tsoin tsoin
Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300
JSWolf I'm a very new member and you're a very old one, so I don't mean to be disrespectful
However, the point of the book club is 1. To vote, then read the book chosen if you want to, not to try and steer everyone in your direction. If you want to read another one, they are all in the PD. 2. Discuss about the book, which this month was on barely more than a page globally and barely more than a line for you. Not that there's anything wrong with this, but I think you and everyone will be OK if The woman in white or The count of Monte Cristo is chosen
I voted for Great Expectations by the way.
Altoanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #80
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Given that this is the holiday season, it's way way way too large to finish in December.

Speak for yourself, please. I have oodles of time in December.

Some of the posts in this thread are going beyond manipulation. I hope the next poll is hidden.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #81
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Oh I see it is going right along the usual lines....sheesh!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #82
Lloyd Simcoe
immortal observer
Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
I can offer enough to make it worth while.
Sweet. OK, I've cast my vote.
Lloyd Simcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #83
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
I do. But I prefer to read something that's not an old tomb of a book that most likely won't interest me. Also, in case I don't have the time for a rather large book, I want to read something I will have the time for. And The Woman in White at 597 ePub pages may be too large.
Luckily, nobody is forced to read anything. If you don't happen to like what the majority votes for, just don't read it and instead pick up a book of your choice. Actually, nobody is even forced to participate in the Book Club at all.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #84
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
Luckily, nobody is forced to read anything. If you don't happen to like what the majority votes for, just don't read it and instead pick up a book of your choice. Actually, nobody is even forced to participate in the Book Club at all.
Very true, but it's still fun to participate in the voting and having an incentive to read a favorite is always cool.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:29 AM   #85
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Great Expectations had a good start but now it seems to lag behind
Kenny cast your vote and be done with it
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #86
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Very true, but it's still fun to participate in the voting and having an incentive to read a favorite is always cool.
My thinking goes more along the lines of pilotbob.

Since I started to participate in the Book Club, almost all the books that were elected were books I otherwise would have never read due to genre (neither science fiction nor fantasy are part of my usual fare), and of some of the other books I had never heard before.
What happened was that I had more often then not a really good reading experience and was introduced to books and authors that I would have missed otherwise.

Books I know and like I can read on my own, outside of the Book Club.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #87
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
I am rooting for The Count of Monte Cristo simply to see if anyone has the nads to actually read it in a month. It's only around 1500 pages. Perfect time of year for the tome of tomes. That's more than combining a stack of some dictionaries together as a coffee table.
OK, someone needs to break out the happy pills because I distinctly remember stating that as a JOKE... Talk about taking yourself too seriously...yeesh...
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #88
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Well, it's The Woman in White. You gonna read it Jon?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well, it's The Woman in White. You gonna read it Jon?
I do have it in ePub all ready to go. So I may give it a try. Not sure I actually have the time to finish it given what else I have partially read as well as all the other things going on.

But as for the next vote, I do think that having the poll hidden is a good idea as long as everyone doesn't go posting what was voted for until after the poll is over.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #90
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
But as for the next vote, I do think that having the poll hidden is a good idea as long as everyone doesn't go posting what was voted for until after the poll is over.
...or soliciting votes via PM
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote