Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-27-2022, 07:04 PM   #76
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Since they are all OverDrive maybe we need an app to scrape/search them all?
Here is the calibre plugin thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=187919

If most of your libraries are in the same U.S. state, you might try searching for the book here and then putting in the state name:

https://search.overdrive.com/
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 07:54 PM   #77
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
At this rate I could become a book wh... I mean promiscuous.
Since they are all OverDrive maybe we need an app to scrape/search them all?
Right now, I have 4 (legitimate) OverDrive accounts.
It's a bit tedious to synchronize them all.
Overdrive already has a way to search over multiple libraries. Go to overdrive.com and create an account with an email address instead of logging in with a library card. On your profile page go to Saved Libraries and add all your libraries. Then go to Account Settings and set the Search Options to "Use saved libraries filter by default".

When you search, click on a book in the results and you'll get a details page that shows which of your libraries has it. You can click the button next to each library's name to view it on their site and borrow it or put it on hold. I have 6 libraries in my filter and it works great, especially if you're looking for all the books in a series where some libraries might have used up all the borrows on the older titles.

I would also suggest that avid readers who find themselves in Los Angeles might want to stop in to the city (not county) library and get a card. They have a very good Overdrive collection with over 412K ebooks. Cards are $50/yr if you don't live in California, free if you do. Non-residents have to apply and renew in person.
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2022, 09:37 PM   #78
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
We've only scratched the surface on libraries offering non-resident library cards. With over 9,000 public libraries in the US, who wants to visit each website and see which ones do?
I've been concentrating on libraries that have 50,000+ titles. I disregard those with less.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:37 AM   #79
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Non-Resident Library Cards -- updated 27 Jul 2022

Note: OverDrive collections only - other vendors may be available
  1. Metropolitan Lib (OK) --- $70/year --- 164,992 epub --- 155,737 kindle --- 70,319 mp3
  2. Stark Library (OH) ------- $30/year --- 161,569 epub --- 152,146 kindle --- 50,529 mp3
  3. Multnomah Cty (OR) ---- $180/yr ----- 143,409 epub --- 126,803 kindle --- 59,381 mp3
  4. Orange County (FL) ----- $125/yr ----- 116,241 epub --- 100,248 kindle --- 33,301 mp3

5. Toledo Lucas (OH) ------- $75/year --- 77,241 epub --- 73,179 kindle --- 35,692 mp3
  6. Westchester (NY) -------- $75/year --- 52,522 epub --- 51,125 kindle --- 15,091 mp3
  7. Houston Public (TX) ----- $40/year --- 49,357 epub --- 47,147 kindle --- 23,168 mp3
  8. Queens Public (NY) ------ $50/year --- 48,994 epub --- 47,649 kindle --- 10,012 mp3
  9. St Louis Public (MO) ----- $40/year --- 46,222 epub --- 42,776 kindle ----- 8,646 mp3
  10. Chapel Hill Pub (NC) ----- $65/year --- 45,532 epub --- 41,763 kindle --- 17,859 mp3
  11. Salt Lake City (UT) ------- $80/year --- 42,285 epub --- 37,439 kindle --- 21,227 mp3
  12. Miami-Dade Lib (FL) ----- $65/year --- 41,899 epub --- 38,683 kindle --- 18,366 mp3
  13. Monroe County (NY) ----- $25/year --- 39,090 epub --- 37,485 kindle --- 11,997 mp3
  14. Fairfax County (VA) ------ $27/year --- 32,585 epub --- 33,359 kindle --- 20,679 mp3
  15. New Orleans (LA) -------- $50/year --- 30,061 epub --- 29,711 kindle --- 25,290 mp3
  16. C Mecklenburg (NC) ----- $45/year --- 28,806 epub --- 28,410 kindle ----- 6,946 mp3
  17. Enoch Pratt Lib (MD) ---- $50/year --- 23,228 epub --- 21,302 kindle --- 11,017 mp3
  18. Detroit Public (MI) ------ $100/yr ----- 10,954 epub --- 10,789 kindle ----- 4,903 mp3

Library Systems -- these libraries are part of larger library systems (see above for stats)
Restricted Non-Resident Library Cards
Former Non-Resident Library Cards.
I feel like this needs to be pinned somewhere or in its own thread.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:40 AM   #80
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Just seeing this thread.

That stinks. My out of state Brooklyn account was renewed in June.

Last edited by copyrite; 07-28-2022 at 06:52 AM.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2022, 07:02 AM   #81
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Working on it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:30 AM   #82
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
There is the MobileRead Wiki article which has been updated recently.
(Is that you, tubemonkey?)
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:31 AM   #83
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There is the MobileRead Wiki article which has been updated recently.
(Is that you, tubemonkey?)
Not me.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:45 AM   #84
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

ATTENTION

I started a new thread in the Deals Forum for non-resident library cards. It's been stickied so it'll always be readily available.

Please limit discussion in this thread to the original topic. Discussions about other libraries will now take place in the new thread. I linked it below.

* Non-Resident Library Cards
Old 07-28-2022, 10:27 AM   #85
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Can't seem to get into Stark, even with Nord VPN.

THIS:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource.
Apache/2.4.54 (Ubuntu) Server at starklibrary.org Port 443
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:50 PM   #86
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Quote:
Thanks! This worked fine for me.
I tried to get access to the USAF digital library years ago but at the time you had to go through a base. I live nowhere near a base.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:49 PM   #87
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Orange County (Florida) : Annual fee $125, Number of Books: 116,000. No Recommends. They also have FReading.
Orange County is pricey - I tried to get a card there for free but they don't allow residents who don't live in the county. With other libraries offering "out of the state fees", I'd assume residents in that state could still use those libraries, but maybe not. I know that's not the case in Florida when I checked. I'm only stuck with my countries local library for a free card.

The Stark option looks interesting.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 07-29-2022 at 11:18 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 04:47 AM   #88
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
Overdrive already has a way to search over multiple libraries. Go to overdrive.com and create an account with an email address instead of logging in with a library card. On your profile page go to Saved Libraries and add all your libraries. Then go to Account Settings and set the Search Options to "Use saved libraries filter by default".

When you search, click on a book in the results and you'll get a details page that shows which of your libraries has it. You can click the button next to each library's name to view it on their site and borrow it or put it on hold. I have 6 libraries in my filter and it works great, especially if you're looking for all the books in a series where some libraries might have used up all the borrows on the older titles.
If you're lazy, I'd also suggest Library Extension, which checks your chosen libraries for availability when you're on a Goodreads/Fantastic Fiction/Kobo/other sites book page.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:37 AM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If you're lazy, I'd also suggest Library Extension, which checks your chosen libraries for availability when you're on a Goodreads/Fantastic Fiction/Kobo/other sites book page.
I would not suggest Library Extension. It gets really annoying really fast.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:04 AM   #90
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would not suggest Library Extension. It gets really annoying really fast.
There is no point in being a naysayer unless you give reasons. Unsupported opinions are worthless.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote