Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #76
Chubulor
Edge User

I haven't seen any politics in this thread. Are you referring to my mention of BP? If so, that's a pretty huge stretch, as there's no indication of what my opinion on the matter is, just using the facts of that affair as an example.

As for the concern that the thread could get ugly, I trust the moderators to delete any personal attacks, threats, libelous statements, etc, just as they have done in the past. Considering that my comment that lightly alluded to the possibility of forum plants, was quickly followed by two other posters chiming in that they had the same idea, this is hardly an artificial diversion of the thread.

Add to that that the two commenters getting the most lip from Entourage supporters actually turned out to be correct: jcase that Entourage was violating GPL, and myself that there was a nonzero number of Entourage employees posting here who were not identified as such.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #77
walt526
Edge User

I am not, nor never have been, an employee of enTourage, a member of the Communist party, or a Cylon for that matter. The earlier post was clearly a typo (based on the text that followed) and has since been corrected.

Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #78
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt526 View Post
Speculating about forum users being secret enTourage employees is related to GPL issue?

Again, not seeing the nexus...
OK walt, do you want me to start a thread titled "Entourage employee(s) posing as regular forum users" and continue the discussion there? I'm sure that will look swell to people coming here from a google search. Your employer would be pleased.

And seriously, cut it with the "speculation". We already know there's one of you.

(edit) If you're going to complain about my marginally off-topic posts, you also better go after morellij3179 for discussing whether Android has a recovery system up there. That has nothing to do with the Market or the GPL license.

Last edited by Chubulor; 08-15-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #79
jcase
Edge User

I might be a member of the Communist party, but thats another subject. On to development, away from aliens please.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #80
Chubulor
Edge User

OK, so now walt is claiming not to be an Entourage employee on the Introductions thread, and that the original post that led me to believe this is just a typo. That's an odd typo, and it's a bit strange that he hasn't yet corrected me on that subject in this thread when I've mentioned it over and over again, but I'll accept that explanation for the purpose of moving on. If you are not an Entourage employee, I apologize for getting overly heated about it, though I do not apologize for coming to the conclusion that you were posting unethically based on the information I had at the time.

And it's not aliens, it's Rice Krispies.

Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #81
MichaelV
Edge User

coming back to the topic alex reader enters recovery mode by holding page back and forward while powering on.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #82
jcase
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelV View Post
coming back to the topic alex reader enters recovery mode by holding page back and forward while powering on.
I think we have a recovery partition, I am going to try and dump it, and make a custom one

Old 08-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #83
Snepscheut
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase View Post
I think we have a recovery partition, I am going to try and dump it, and make a custom one
Justin, Robot,

Could you give a bit more information about what you are doing.
Are you working together, or will there be 3 versions for the edge?

And could you please tell when (days, weeks, months ) we can expect to see some of your work?

Thanks,

Jos

Old 08-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #84
NiaTrue
Edge User

I apologize upfront for the long post and for perhaps taking us off-topic again, but I felt the nature of some earlier posts warranted a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
If all users can do is ask nicely for vendors to live up to their obligations under the GPL, then the GPL is little more than non-absorbent toilet paper. It sounds like people have been asking nicely for a while now, and there's only been a serious response when hardball started being played. Business people understand there's a time for hardball as well. And your comparing developers who demand compliance with the GPL to toddlers whining for candy is what's way the heck off the mark.

FTR, I didn’t compare developers wanting the release of the GPL code to toddlers whining for candy. I compared the childish tones and language of the requests on this forum with toddlers throwing temper tantrums. Most of us are only seeing one side of the argument: people using rude and sometimes offensive language when talking about not getting the source code. Not being privy to the other side of the conversation, the childish language and threats look, well, childish and threatening--even to non-developers who want the source code released, a group that would include me. Perhaps enTourage should consider revealing the other side of the conversation, but who wants to start a serious conversation with people who threaten you publicly? Only one person has asked nicely (robot), not including jcase and assuming he asked nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase View Post
Sheri, Demanding a company comply with the GPL license is not blackmail. Demanding money for GPL based products without releasing code is theft/fraud. Not understanding that is the mark of an amateur, and an ignorant (uneducated in general; lacking knowledge or sophistication) person....Justin

Justin, being an exceptionally well-educated person, I understand that noncompliance with the GPL is both illegal and not very nice. I also know a temper tantrum when I see one. "Demanding" anything in this context is childish. Serious professionals get what they want without having to "demand" it on a forum operated by the people to whom they're making demands! They negotiate for it (with a lawyer if necessary) or they walk away and create something better. I understand that you shouldn't have to demand it, but not being able to grasp that someone can support your goal but disagree with your means of attaining it is the “mark of an amateur, and an ignorant (uneducated in general; lacking knowledge or sophistication) person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinkamui View Post
Someone please quote where Justin asked for ANY money.

Justin mentioned earlier, perhaps not in this thread, that he hoped enTourage would release the source code soon because developing apps is his business. I assumed that he doesn't provide his services entirely for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
There's no problem with employees posting, but there is a problem with them not being explicitly labeled as such.

Being in the business of writing social media policies (FTR, I am not an enTourage employee and I have no idea whether walt256 is), I couldn't agree more with this post. If enTourage doesn’t already have a social media policy, now would be a good time to write one or include a clause about employees always disclosing their affiliation with the company--even when they post outside of their official company role and on their private time—and being clear that they’re voicing their own opinions.

Justin, many companies, because of the proprietary nature of their product, understandably ban employees from participating in social media. So even for employees who want to participate, many companies consider it a fire-able offense.

Last edited by NiaTrue; 08-15-2010 at 05:03 PM.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #85
robot
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snepscheut View Post
Justin, Robot,

Could you give a bit more information about what you are doing.
Are you working together, or will there be 3 versions for the edge?

And could you please tell when (days, weeks, months ) we can expect to see some of your work?

Thanks,

Jos
'cos this is GPL, I think that we'll join forces to make one base firmware, but may be different additional apps after that. We're chatting over gtalk now to figure out what we can or need to do. Also I'm examinating source code and there's some parts missing. So need to figure out what exactly is missing, than also need to find someone who a really good in kernell, and only after that can predict how many time it will take to release something.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #86
walt526
Edge User

I have said on multiple times now and a few different threads (plus correcting the error immediately upon it being pointed out to me) that I am not an enTourage employee, contractor, etc. I don't know how I can be any clearer.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #87
Snepscheut
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
'cos this is GPL, I think that we'll join forces to make one base firmware, but may be different additional apps after that. We're chatting over gtalk now to figure out what we can or need to do. Also I'm examinating source code and there's some parts missing. So need to figure out what exactly is missing, than also need to find someone who a really good in kernell, and only after that can predict how many time it will take to release something.
Thank you guys!

Hope to keep hearing from you, once in a while.
You're not t-mobile, htc or entourage I think.

Jos

Old 08-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #88
Zem
Edge User

Folks please keep your posts on topic and avoid personal remarks.

jcase or robot please create a new thread to discuss your combined firmware's timeline and other questions.

Thanks!

-Z

Old 08-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #89
jcase
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zem View Post
Folks please keep your posts on topic and avoid personal remarks.

jcase or robot please create a new thread to discuss your combined firmware's timeline and other questions.

Thanks!

-Z
Zem,

I still need some missing code that wasn't posted before we see a publicly available firmware from me.

Sheri,
If you don't like how i conduct myself, then don't bother replying to my threads, or commenting on my work. I saw your education on your profiles, you do seem to be well educated in your professional fields, but this is my field of expertise, and not yours. I wouldn't criticize how you conducted business the in publishing / architect fields, please don't criticize how I conduct mine in this field. Do you not profit from your field of work? I sure try to, we all have to make a living somehow. If it wasn't for outside developers, eDGe wouldn't exist as it is today. Vast majority of the software used on it was written by people like just like kumai, robot and I, for free.

Justin

Last edited by jcase; 08-15-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #90
Chubulor
Edge User

NiaTrue, if Entourage refused to release GPL-based source, whether they did it in syrupy sweet language or swore a blue streak is irrelevant.

And, once again, this is on-topic, as it relates to the original post. Just because a line of discussion is contentious does not make it off-topic.

(edit) the first reply to the original poster just got deleted...hmmmmm.... and many other posts by that person are vanishing all over the forum...

Last edited by Chubulor; 08-15-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: rancid speculation