Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like a "Send to Kobo" service like Kindle?
Yes 56 52.83%
No 34 32.08%
Maybe 14 13.21%
I would even pay for it! 2 1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2024, 09:23 PM   #76
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
SilentPartner, you seem to be posting a lot for someone who claimed to be leaving and changed your user title to "Gone". Maybe you should take a break for a while if using the forum makes you upset? There are plenty of pedantic people here, but that's kind of expected on a forum for people who like to read.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:28 PM   #77
Gone
Out of order
Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra Colour
deleted

Last edited by Gone; 05-29-2024 at 08:03 PM.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2024, 09:31 PM   #78
Gone
Out of order
Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
SilentPartner, you seem to be posting a lot for someone who claimed to be leaving and changed your user title to "Gone". Maybe you should take a break for a while if using the forum makes you upset? There are plenty of pedantic people here, but that's kind of expected on a forum for people who like to read.
I hear you. And you're right.

Old 05-28-2024, 09:35 PM   #79
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPartner View Post
You got it all wrong.

If people didn't understand the question or if I was not clear enough is irrelevant. The thing I pointed out is that people like JSWolf, Quoth and others were commenting that the idea of having a thing like Send to Kindle for Kobo should not exist because they didn't want it. That position really puzzled me. After that, people were arguing about the question... and how I was so wrong for just asking. Like I said, my rant has little to do with this post in particular, but with a toxic attitude in general from old members here who think they can bully anyone.
Well, JSWolf and Quoth, like everyone here, have a right to their opinion and also a right to express it. They explained why they don't want Kobo to implement a Send to Kobo feature. Why do you call that bullying? It's pretty clear (both from your poll and the discussion here) that the majority don't exactly share their viewpoint; most posters either support the feature or are indifferent.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:50 PM   #80
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
You got it all wrong.

If people didn't understand the question or if I was not clear enough is irrelevant. The thing I pointed out is that people like JSWolf, Quoth and others were commenting that the idea of having a thing like Send to Kindle for Kobo should not exist because they didn't want it. That position really puzzled me. After that, people were arguing about the question... and how I was so wrong for just asking. Like I said, my rant has little to do with this post in particular, but with a toxic attitude in general from old members here who think they can bully anyone.
Quoth for instance stated that he would prefer other possibilities to a Send to Kindle clone. JSWolf complained that a Send to Kobo would not allow him to send metadata and rather politely for him, stated it would bloat the firmware size and for a feature that he didn't think we needed.

I personally see little use FOR ME for that feature. Would I prefer Kobo to spend their developers' time on items that I would find of more use? Should I not state that opinion for fear of hurting someone's feelings?

As for what I saw about asking? No one criticized you for asking the question. What they did criticize was that when they answered the question your poll asked, how I read what you said was that wasn't what you really meant and we should have answered the title of the thread so it was the other posters who were wrong. Look at your response to my post quoted below:
Quote:
More that this poll asked 'Would you like a "Send to Kobo" service like Kindle?'. My response was no.
Quote:
Come on... You're just playing with words, here. Even if the question didn't use "you", the answers would have been the same.
Oddly several other posters seemed to disagree with you.

And when I asked you what formats Kobo should allow for Send to Kobo since Amazon does NOT permit sending formats used by their ereaders to be sent to Send to Kindle with the assumption that you already knew that Send to Kindle does not allow mobi, azw3/KF8, KFX or other Amazon formats to be sent to their service? Your suggestion was kepub as the format to be sent to the service.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-28-2024 at 10:00 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2024, 12:03 AM   #81
Gone
Out of order

deleted

Old 05-29-2024, 12:15 AM   #82
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You just don’t get it. Or probably don’t want to, because then we would have a conversation. You’re just not listening.
The exact same thing applies to you, you know.
Old 05-29-2024, 12:15 AM   #83
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You do realize a conversation does imply the exchange of ideas, news and gossip? That both sides have to be willing to listen? That you seem to be unwilling to accept that other people may not agree with you that a Send to Kobo service would be the greatest thing since sliced bread makes it very hard to have a conversation with you.

Quote:
Never argue with fools because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 12:42 AM   #84
Gone
Out of order

Middle school playground tactics now... Wow.
Old 05-29-2024, 12:57 AM   #85
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This from someone who has spouted childish insults all over the place, like a three-year-old who is stomping their feet because not everyone agrees with them? Really.

I don't know. You seem to be singularly unable to accept that other people may have different opinions than you. So everyone who doesn't agree with you gets labelled "toxic", "bully" and "killjoy". That's certainly very mature.
Old 05-29-2024, 02:31 AM   #86
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I'm not going to tell you what you should do, but I would suggest that you may need to grow a little thicker skin. I don't think you've been mistreated here. I honestly can't understand why you're upset. As far as I can see you asked questions (via a survey) and people have responded with their opinions. Isn't that the whole point of a discussion?

I'm in favor of a Send-to-Kindle (Send-to-PocketBook) feature for Kobos (and I'm happy you brought this subject up) but there have been some decent points made against it — which mostly amount to the waste of various resources (programming time, memory usage) that could be better used elsewhere. I, personally, don't agree with that, but I respect other people's opinions on the subject. Especially since these opinions are being expressed by folks who have been using Kobos for a very long time and who may know better about the hardware limitations and programming personel limitations at Kobo.

And, BTW, congratulations for starting a thread that has held people's interest. That's an accomplishment in itself.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 06:56 AM   #87
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I think Johnnyb meant that most of those people for whom the lack of cloud syncing is a dealbreaker, won't buy a Kobo at all. Not that 50% of existing Kobo users want that feature.
I don't really know. Yes, I know some people who use "Send to Kindle", but not a lot even having Kindle. From my side, not interested for me, as I edit all my books with calibre and, if needed, I sync them using Kobo Utilities, and not interested in general, as I would prefer they enabled again rating for sideloaded books than using space in the device memory (not so big) for this.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 07:41 AM   #88
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moderator Notice
Let's have an end to disparaging comments about other posters, please. Future posts along those lines will be deleted.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 11:34 AM   #89
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I turned that off when I used a Kindle. I don't want Amazon having a copy. Also the cloud is just someone else's server and may not be a backup.

Highlight & Annotation export is far better and more useful on Kobo than Kindle. I've 1000s of files on my computer from exports and they are backed up.

Oh, I agree. I'd rather manage my own data and not depend too heavily on any one solution. I've still got files going back to my Windows 95 machine, LOL! And there are many, many times when I'm thankful that I saved my old fonts from machine to machine!

But I'm more of a nerd than most. The average person simply wants it to "happen" without lifting a finger. And Amazon delivers that.

I don't have a problem myself with Kobo not providing this service, but I have a sneaking suspicion a good many folks who are excited about annotating with the stylus on Kobo are gonna get disillusioned with their Kobo experience when they realize there's no export, no cloud backup, and it's all tied to a single device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 12:32 PM   #90
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I don't have a problem myself with Kobo not providing this service, but I have a sneaking suspicion a good many folks who are excited about annotating with the stylus on Kobo are gonna get disillusioned with their Kobo experience when they realize there's no export, no cloud backup, and it's all tied to a single device.
1. The finger and text touch keyboard annotation on epub exports by various methods. Don't annotate epubs by pen. Export is via USB plain text.

2. If you have sensible PDFs and suitable PDF software on Mac, iOS, Windows, Linux or Android you can "write" on a PDF with pen and copy it off via USB. You can even export that layer later in Windows, Android or Linux with a suitable PDF viewer.

3. The notebooks have multiple export formats. PNG or PDF is useful for basic ones and docx or plain text is useful for Advanced ones (Copy via USB or Dropbox). The actual Nebo notebooks can be copied via USB also, and import to full versions of Nebo, but not vice versa.

I can actually mount a Kobo on an Android 4.1 phone via micro USB to USB-A OTG adaptor and read/write via file manager. A USB-C to USB-A OTG adaptor works on Android 13 tablet, but only if Kobo is on a hub that also has a USB memory stick. I can then read/write epub or pdfs, copy off text annotations (you can add a menu to export as text (per ebook) from MyBooks), copy off Nebo files, or exports from Nebo.
All far better than Kindle.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote