Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #76
colemti
colemti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I recently got my 1st reader, Kindle 2. I purchased a book for fictionwise, downloaded it in Kindle format, copied it into documents on my Kindle, and it did not transfer to my device. I'm sure this is a newby problem, but how do I get my book on my device?
colemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #77
colemti
colemti began at the beginning.

Never mind. I got it. I feel very stupid, too!
colemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #78
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemti View Post
Never mind. I got it. I feel very stupid, too!
LOL, dont' feel stupid, its just a matter of playing with a new joystick for a bit before getting the hang of it.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #79
ashash
ashash began at the beginning.

Device: k-2 have one
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraSeattleGrrl View Post

Thank you for such a complete guide. I'm the kind of person who wants to know how everything works right out of the box.
DITTO! LOL!
ashash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #80
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I'm still amazed by the amount of questions that are asked that can be answered by simply looking in the manual real quick....
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #81
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
me too
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #82
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
LOL, dont' feel stupid, its just a matter of playing with a new joystick for a bit before getting the hang of it.
Playng around a bit always helped me
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #83
mduf
mduf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
Hi new to the post. I would like to install Savory in my kindle but I can not find the System forlder on my USB kindle drive. I have made sure the show hidden folders is correctly set, but all it shows is Audible Documents and Music
mduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #84
amyj
Banned
amyj began at the beginning.

Device: k2
this would have been nice to have a week ago when i got my kindle!

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 07-15-2010 at 05:12 AM. Reason: webbug removed
amyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #85
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Well now you know, and knowing is half the battle
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #86
tazem
tazem began at the beginning.

Device: Dell_Axim/Astak_PP
I am going to be helping a friend's mother with her Kindle next week and know nothing about them. She has only been able to get books from Amazon, does not know how to move books from the computer, or really much of anything about computers.

I have an Aztak EZReader and a Sony Touch, both of which are very easy to use with Calibre. How is the Kindle? Will I be able to convert to the proper format? Anything special I should know?

I have seen a lot of references here to Python scripts, I am sure this is not something she will be able to do. Is all that really necessary? I would like to be able to just convert books for her and load them onto her reader.

tazem
tazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #87
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazem View Post
I am going to be helping a friend's mother with her Kindle next week and know nothing about them. She has only been able to get books from Amazon, does not know how to move books from the computer, or really much of anything about computers.

I have an Aztak EZReader and a Sony Touch, both of which are very easy to use with Calibre. How is the Kindle? Will I be able to convert to the proper format? Anything special I should know?

I have seen a lot of references here to Python scripts, I am sure this is not something she will be able to do. Is all that really necessary? I would like to be able to just convert books for her and load them onto her reader.

tazem
The Kindle plays well with Calibre. If you are familiar with using Calibre with your Sony, you would just need to change the output device to Kindle for her. The Kindle can read .mobi, .prc, and .azw formats - all available in Calibre. You can use Calibre on Amazon books to change the meta data (title, author, etc.) if it displays incorrectly on the Kindle. Calibre cannot edit or change the format of books purchased from Amazon unless the DRM is removed.

Both Feedbooks and MobileRead have mobile apps (see the sticky threads below) that can be loaded onto the Kindle - she can "shop" for free books that way - and download them directly to her Kindle.

You only need Python scripts if you are contemplating hacks or removing DRM from purchased books.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #88
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
You say the above like it is a problem. I'm sure trying to teach some people to do any more than the above is just going to confuse and frustrate them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #89
tazem
tazem began at the beginning.

Device: Dell_Axim/Astak_PP
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You say the above like it is a problem. I'm sure trying to teach some people to do any more than the above is just going to confuse and frustrate them.

BOb
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say. What I meant was that I know nothing about the how the Kindle works and she knows nothing about computers. Yes, this could be a problem.

Right now she is under the impression that the ONLY way she can get books on the reader is to buy them from Amazon. Surely this can't be true.

tazem
tazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #90
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Right now she is under the impression that the ONLY way she can get books on the reader is to buy them from Amazon. Surely this can't be true.
If you are talking about contemporary books with DRM for the average joe... then yes... it is true. Granted, there are many sources of DRM free books that you can also get for the kindle. Many places you can get them make it easy to put them on your Kindle without using a PC... for example, Feedbooks.

then there are some the make it pretty easy. For example, webscriptions will send your purchase to your Kindle via whispernet using the email feature.

My point was... if this person is happy with getting their books from Amazon and they don't know much about computers it is probably going to be "too much" for them to try any other method. Then if you want to get into DRM removal their head will probably explode.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote