Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 09-16-2007, 06:51 AM   #76
zdevil
Enthusiast
zdevil began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200, Hanlin V3
At first it's a bit disappointment (and surprise) to learn that Hanlin is offering the Vizplex version secretly while purging the "old stock". And it's really a strange way to buy the Vizplex version by requesting it explicitly otherwise the buyers would never know of its existence ... It's tricky because if you order it directly via their online ordering form, you'll only get the price quote for the non-Vizplez model "by default".
It seems that the main improvement of the vizplex version is simply faster refresh rate and page-turning speed, and not resolution-wise or function-wise (both versions are 4-level grayscale). But still I can't help but wondering what else the USD20 price difference would justify here ... I suppose Vizplex matters more to models that support screen input like V9. Correct me if i am wrong here.

Actually I am still very happy with my USD329 non-Vizplex V3. I assume it is not Vizplex because that is not mentioned anywhere in the box and i bought it directly online without being aware of the two offers. After using it for a couple of weeks, my V3 quickly becomes one of my most frequently used mobile devices. The most amazing thing is I enjoy reading with it more than paper now! I don't know if it's still my initial excitement or not, but I do find myself reading faster and more concentrate when reading stuff on this screen than staring at piles of shiny A4 printouts, which also adds to my allergy of reading on computer screens.

Last edited by zdevil; 09-16-2007 at 06:55 AM.
zdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All I know is that if I saw the photo posted here of the back of the box that says Vizplex very clearly and I ordered a V3 and got one that wasn't Vizplex, I would be pissed and want to know why I didn't get a Vizplex version and if they then said it costs more, I'd demand I got one at the price I paid and that they take mine back (at there cost) in replacement for one that is Vizplex.

And yes, that is a very sneaking bad business practice. I'm sorry, but that is just sleazy (IMHO). You post showing the screen is Vizplex and then sneakily try to sell the non-Vizplex without saying so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #78
fjell_strom
Enthusiast
fjell_strom has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: HanLin V3 with Vizplex? Hmmmmmm...
Sorry, I feel compelled to jump in here.

JSWolf, I believe you're mistakenly confusing two unrelated scenarios.

LVD, the supplier in the Ukraine, will begin selling V3s soon with Vizplex screens. They are the one whose photos you saw with the Vizplex stickers. No sales from LVD have taken place so far at all. That is one scenario.

The other scenario has to do with Jinke in China, where zdevil and I have gone about buying our V3s. This company's website and online order form makes no mention of Vizplex at all. But they DO happen to sell V3s with Vizplex - it's just that Jinke is not mentioning it, presumably because as soon as they do, no one will want the old non-Vizplex versions anymore (although they sell for 20 dollars less). zdevil was not promised something which didn't come - zdevil is simply disappointed because Jinke is not forthcoming with the knowledge that they have V3s with Vizplex on hand.

The sneakiest part of it all is that I highly suspect that once the non-Vizplex versions have been "purged", or sold off, that the Vizplex versions will drop in price that 20 dollars which seperates the two models for now. (I have to add that this is nothing but speculation)

Until then, the factor which most prevents people from chosing Jinke's Vizplex V3 over the non-Vizplex model is not the 20 dollar price difference, but the fact that Jinke is completely silent about the existence of the Vizplex models except when directly asked about them.

fjell

Last edited by fjell_strom; 09-17-2007 at 11:00 AM.
fjell_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:21 AM   #79
zdevil
Enthusiast
zdevil began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200, Hanlin V3
A bold (perhaps provocative) suggestion:
So, would that be possible to unite the V3 owners here to request a Vizplex replacement, especially because someone already got it without paying the additional USD20?
zdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:30 AM   #80
T-bag
T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Hanlin V3
What I am going do? When the V9 series coming out, I will ask them for a discount (30 bucks) I am pretty sure to buy a V9 device for my old man. V9 has 9.7 inch. is that right.

And I am new here, say hello to every one.
T-bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2007, 08:24 AM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjell_strom View Post
Until then, the factor which most prevents people from chosing Jinke's Vizplex V3 over the non-Vizplex model is not the 20 dollar price difference, but the fact that Jinke is completely silent about the existence of the Vizplex models except when directly asked about them.

fjell
If I purchased the V3 and then after receiving it, found out I could have gotten one with a Vizplex screen, I would have been not happy. Now if I then turned around and said I wanted the Vizplex, would I be able to send what I had back in or would I be stuck with it? If I go to Junke's website and look at what products are available, it would be nice to know the Vizplex model is available and that I can get one. But to hide it is bad business practice.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #82
fjell_strom
Enthusiast
fjell_strom has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: HanLin V3 with Vizplex? Hmmmmmm...
@zdevil - I can totally appreciate the reason for your disappointment in this situation. But if you go about trying to round up other folk who want to make an appeal to Jinke to somehow get Vizplex models for your nons, I can only ask that you don't specifically mention me as "the one who got a Vizplex for a discount".

The reason is, I don't want to make a circus of the graciousness on the part of the Jinke rep with whom I dealt. They were enormously benevolent in offering me the Vizplex model for the same price as the non just to save me, someone they don't even know, from losing a lot of money in wire-transfer fees. On the one hand, that speaks for someone's integrity at Jinke. I don't know who's.

However, I wouldn't want to stop you voicing your disappointment to Jinke about the lack of info on Vizplex models on their webpage. I wish you the best and will share what I can with everyone about the Vizplex model once it arrives.

fjell

Last edited by fjell_strom; 09-17-2007 at 11:41 AM.
fjell_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #83
|2eason
Connoisseur
|2eason is on a distinguished road

Device: Tatung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjell_strom View Post
The sneakiest part of it all is that I highly suspect that once the non-Vizplex versions have been "purged", or sold off, that the Vizplex versions will drop in price that 20 dollars which seperates the two models for now. (I have to add that this is nothing but speculation)
I'm just guessing here, but there could very well be another reason why Jinke aren't advertising their Vizplex versions. They have said it the past that they are not ready to take on the Western markets and would prefer to rely on OEM and ODM resellers in Europe and America for sales in that market. Bearing that in mind, it could be that Jinke have reserved it's own Vizplex V3 for it's own markets and is allowing LVD and others a certain 'exclusivity' for Vizplex in the Western markets. That may have the effect of driving western consumers away from Jinke's store-front, but that is not without it's merit as far as Jinke is concerned.

To me, that makes a lot of business sense.
|2eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:00 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

To me, hiding a prduct you have that the consumer may want more then the product you don't hide is SLEAZY!
Old 09-18-2007, 01:45 AM   #85
|2eason
Connoisseur
|2eason is on a distinguished road

Device: Tatung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To me, hiding a prduct you have that the consumer may want more then the product you don't hide is SLEAZY!
Irex and Sony have/are doing the same with the Iliad v2 and the prs505. They both sold off old stock while holding back on the replacement. Only difference is that Jinke is being flexible about it. You call that sleazy? I'd say they are doing us a favour. They could have just said "we won't sell you the vizplex!".
|2eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:58 AM   #86
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Why spending 349$ in such a device while the cybook gen3 and the prs-505
which both are better (and the reader is cheaper) are about to be launched ?

If the V3 was available for 200-250$ that would be a great deal, but
349 bucks is just too much imho.
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:21 AM   #87
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
What makes the other readers better than the V3?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #88
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
I have Lbook V3 with Vizplex screen now.

The screen looks really very good. Me V8 with old eink screen, but with updated eink screen driver, looks whiter, then sony's prs-500 screen.
And V3-Vizplex hits them both.

And of course, I should mention file format support (russian software version):

txt, fb2 (xml), pdf, wolf, doc, html, chm, zip, jpg, mp3

txt, fb2 supported in .zip form. (.rar planned soon).
rtf support is planned for near future too.

Last edited by TaKir; 09-18-2007 at 12:40 PM.
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by |2eason View Post
Irex and Sony have/are doing the same with the Iliad v2 and the prs505. They both sold off old stock while holding back on the replacement. Only difference is that Jinke is being flexible about it. You call that sleazy? I'd say they are doing us a favour. They could have just said "we won't sell you the vizplex!".
How is what Sony and iRex doing wrong? iRex announced their V2 already and Sony is selling off old stock via the credit card offer for about $60. I don't think the VizPlex screen is worth $240 (roughly) over the old screen. For all we know, Sony might not be ready with the 505 yet and have not announced it. We really do not know. But what we do know is there is no 505 for sale now. It's not hidden while all they show is the 500. And it is a new model at that so you don't just buy a 500 and get the old one (no Vizplex) when you could have bought a new one (with Vizplex).
Old 09-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #90
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
A detail to note is that the credit card company will be picking up some, if not the majority, of the cost of any "reward" item acquired through those programs -- they buy the "reward items" from the seller (in this case, Sony) and offer them through the rewards program according to the terms they (the CC Co.) choose. It's not quite the same thing as if SonyStyle were offering PRS500s for $60.

Just a detail.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote