Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #871
stikonas
stikonas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
My bad, I lost track that you are working on with a K3 -
If it only spent an hour transferring the image, then it did not transfer the full image.

Currently, we only have a one person help desk operation here (me).
There is a lot to keep track of (lots of Kindle models) and I do make mistakes.
No worries, your help is much appreciated. I've now checked, image is definitely flashed correctly (it was faster cause k3flasher does not flash if it reads identical data). There must be some kind of hardware problem.

I created /mnt/us/WIFIOFF file and now progress bar moves a bit further. Instead of getting stuck at 25%, it goes to maybe 50%.
stikonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:40 AM   #872
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Try:
WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #873
stikonas

Quote:
Try:
WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE
In case somebody has similar problem, the thing that helped was removing (in practice just moving to some other location) file /opt/ar6k/host/support/loadAR6000.sh

Once the file is moved away, Kindle Java framework does not start WiFi and my Kindle booted . Most likely there is some hardware failure of WiFi chip.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #874
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikonas View Post
In case somebody has similar problem, the thing that helped was removing (in practice just moving to some other location) file /opt/ar6k/host/support/loadAR6000.sh

Once the file is moved away, Kindle Java framework does not start WiFi and my Kindle booted . Most likely there is some hardware failure of WiFi chip.
Are you certain that it is the Java framework that is executing that shell script?
Sounds unlikely (and way too late in the device start-up sequence).
Old 01-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #875
stikonas

Quote:
Are you certain that it is the Java framework that is executing that shell script?
Sounds unlikely (and way too late in the device start-up sequence).
Well, I had /mnt/us/WIFIOFF file to stop sysvinit from starting wifi services. But maybe it didn't properly work (although it helped me to move from getting stuck at 25% to 50%).

I played a lot with init system. Was adding debug output with eips to see where it was getting stuck. And it was getting stuck in /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/startup.sh file when cvm was being launched.

By the way, sysvinit system is done booting basic GNU/Linux system when progress bar is at 50%. Then Java framework takes over and finishes drawing progress bar from 50% to 100%. In my case it was still stuck at 50%.
Advert
Old 01-01-2016, 12:06 PM   #876
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikonas View Post
Well, I had /mnt/us/WIFIOFF file to stop sysvinit from starting wifi services. But maybe it didn't properly work (although it helped me to move from getting stuck at 25% to 50%).

I played a lot with init system. Was adding debug output with eips to see where it was getting stuck. And it was getting stuck in /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/startup.sh file when cvm was being launched.

By the way, sysvinit system is done booting basic GNU/Linux system when progress bar is at 50%. Then Java framework takes over and finishes drawing progress bar from 50% to 100%. In my case it was still stuck at 50%.
I think that translates to: "yes"
Old 01-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #877
karabas
karabas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, Pocket Book 626, Nook STwGL
K3 Wifi

Hello,

Now I'm ready to write here my experience on Kindle 3 Keyboard WiFi deBRICKment...

I had two K3 devices, one of them I had sold three years ago to my friend (but now the problem is in that one). Both of them are patched with "Kite".

One of K3 is frozen on startup screen, none of buttons are working. The yellow LED light swiches on only for 15 seconds while connecting to USB adaptor.

I tried to debrick it with Kubrik, but Kubrik can't see the device while in "Waiting for device" mode. Of course I tried to charge ot for 20 hours from wall.

And the main discovery is this:

I took out the batteries and changed them in my Kindles - the beattery I "Charged" 20hours was EMPTY!

But when I put the charged (working) battery in "bricked" Kindle - nothing happened. Moreover, the charge doesn't work also, 15sec the LED shines then it turnes off.

I will leave it on working battery for a while, then I'll remove it and will control the charge left on working kindle.
Then, if the charge level is good, I'll try to work with Kubrik again.

Could you tell me please If I do it wrong,
karabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #878
knc1
Going Viral

How are you telling if the battery is charged and good?
How are you telling if the battery is empty and bad?
= = = =
The battery charger, and led colors, are under the control of the firmware.
If they change, then the Kindle is running (at least at the point they change).

Last edited by knc1; 01-05-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #879
karabas

Quote:
How are you telling if the battery is charged and good?
How are you telling if the battery is empty and bad?
= = = =
The battery charger, and led colors, are under the control of the firmware.
If they change, then the Kindle is running (at least at the point they change).
I didin't understand, what do you mean
Old 01-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #880
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabas View Post
Hello,
- - - - -
the beattery I "Charged" 20hours was EMPTY!
How did you know it was empty?
Quote:
But when I put the charged (working) battery in "bricked" Kindle - nothing happened.
How did you know it was fully charged?
Quote:
Moreover, the charge doesn't work also, 15sec the LED shines then it turnes off.
How do you know the battery CAN hold more than a 15 second charge?
Quote:
I will leave it on working battery for a while, then I'll remove it and will control the charge left on working kindle.
Then, if the charge level is good, I'll try to work with Kubrik again.
How will you know the charge level is good?
Quote:
Could you tell me please If I do it wrong,
I think you are making errors in your testing for "good" and "bad" but I can not tell until you write how your making the tests.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:43 AM   #881
karabas

Quote:
How did you know it was empty?
Just from battery logging in Kite interface in working Kindle

Quote:
How did you know it was fully charged?
The lamp turned green and the onteface showed 100%

Quote:
How do you know the battery CAN hold more than a 15 second charge?
It works on working KIndle, and none of 2 batteries work on bricked Kindle.

Quote:
I think you are making errors in your testing for "good" and "bad" but I can not tell until you write how your making the tests.
Maybe, I'm just a user
Old 01-06-2016, 10:03 AM   #882
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
It works on working KIndle, and none of 2 batteries work on bricked Kindle.
- - - -
The Kindle that does not work is not bricked.
It has failed, it is dead.
You probably now have a spare screen.

We do not know why, but this does happen to the K3 model.
They will just stop working and no one has learned why.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #883
karabas

Quote:
The Kindle that does not work is not bricked.
It has failed, it is dead.
You probably now have a spare screen.

We do not know why, but this does happen to the K3 model.
They will just stop working and no one has learned why.
Thanks for replying. I have screen as kindle starts but status is about 70%.

I'll try once more, now I'm not at home. No hope )
Old 01-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #884
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks for replying. I have screen as kindle starts but status is about 70%.
- - - -
That is not the same as: "does not work" or "bricked".
I can only answer based on what you post.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:51 AM   #885
Arckanoid
Arckanoid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Hey guys! Happy new year!

I'm having a strange problem. I'm trying to repair a K4NT who seems to be looping (reappearing books, and reset factory does not work).

At first i tried Kubrick from USB and from DVD, however after fastboot reset the kindle does not go into diagnostics mode. After reading some threads about this being a really weird problem, i thought there could be a problem with flash memory, emmc, or something beyond my knowledge.

However i decided to try the old debrick method with MFGtools and all that, and the K4 goes normally into diags mode (however, and this is the other problem, i cannot get it to appear as new device, to install the libusb and get the fastboot going).

So, any ideas. Maybe i can do something in Kubrick, so to force the K4 to go into diags mode?
Arckanoid is offline   Reply With Quote