Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-29-2020, 02:11 PM   #8596
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Ah, well...sometimes, protagonists are like boy/girl-friends, right? You just fall out of love with 'em.

It's not you, or me, it's both of us. The sad truth is that Jim Butcher might not even know he no longer has the magic to bring his world to life. The diminishing returns on his books will one day wake him up fully.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #8597
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Ah, well...sometimes, protagonists are like boy/girl-friends, right? You just fall out of love with 'em.

It's not you, or me, it's both of us. The sad truth is that Jim Butcher might not even know he no longer has the magic to bring his world to life. The diminishing returns on his books will one day wake him up fully.
LOL, I agree. I am 99.9999999999999% sure that JB could not care less about my (gasp!) defection. I'm happy for all three of us, then--you, me and him. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2020, 08:17 PM   #8598
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I also gave up on Harry a while ago. I still want to read a sequel to Cinder Spires though.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:36 PM   #8599
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Been told if you have nothing good to say about something don't say anything, So will say this, I enjoyed the humour and that you can read a book in about 2 days.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #8600
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I haven't finished it yet, but so far, I am enjoying it.

Can't say that I understand the purpose of repeatably posting on a thread dedicated to a particular author/series, that you are bored with the series. After the initial post that you have lost interest, surely you can find something else to post about, especially if you haven't tried to read the books that just came out.

When I finish, I'll post on the Peace Talks spoiler thread.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #8601
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I haven't finished it yet, but so far, I am enjoying it.

Can't say that I understand the purpose of repeatably posting on a thread dedicated to a particular author/series, that you are bored with the series. After the initial post that you have lost interest, surely you can find something else to post about, especially if you haven't tried to read the books that just came out.

When I finish, I'll post on the Peace Talks spoiler thread.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:53 AM   #8602
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If you are waiting for Battle Ground from a U.S. library and have a Kindle, you may want to check if it is available in Kindle format.

I checked out Battle Ground this morning (from the Brooklyn Public Library) and it wasn't available in the Kindle format.
And as of last night, it was available in the Kindle format. Sorry for the confusion.

And, as usual, I'm enjoying the heck out of Battle Ground.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:24 AM   #8603
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And as of last night, it was available in the Kindle format. Sorry for the confusion.

And, as usual, I'm enjoying the heck out of Battle Ground.
I finished it up last night and posted some thoughts in the Peace Talks spoiler thread. I enjoyed it.

BTW - there is a short story included at the end of the book, set the Christmas after Battleground.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #8604
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

So, this thread is only for wildly enthusiastic fans, that are breathlessly awaiting the next "X days to YYYYY" post? Troo believers? And those of us that find that perhaps, Butcher isn't delivering the way he used to, are no longer welcome?

Fine.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #8605
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
So, this thread is only for wildly enthusiastic fans, that are breathlessly awaiting the next "X days to YYYYY" post? Troo believers? And those of us that find that perhaps, Butcher isn't delivering the way he used to, are no longer welcome?

Fine.

Hitch
If you don't read the books, how can you know if he delivers the way he use to or not?

I do get that with a long period between books, one can lose interest in the story line. That's fine. I understand that in a long series, one can lose interest or think the author has lost steam. I did that with the WOT books and there are a lot of authors who I think run out of steam after 4 or 5 books in a series. I can understand writing about how the author lost you when he went in a certain direction or started a certain theme. Over the last couple of books, I've been a bit worried that Butcher was falling in the "it's so wonderful being a father" motif that David Weber got caught in when he had kids.

I just don't get the need to keep coming back to post that Butcher lost you. Eventually, it starts to sound like the the guy who doesn't like parties anymore and doesn't want anyone else to enjoy them.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #8606
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nobody is telling the fans not to enjoy their book. The only people trying to police if not to pontificate are the fanboys, but that's OK!
Old 10-01-2020, 04:52 PM   #8607
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Nobody is telling the fans not to enjoy their book. The only people trying to police if not to pontificate are the fanboys, but that's OK!
No, not policing, I'm no moderator to tell people what to do. I'm just pointing out that claiming a book you never read didn't met expectations is rather closed minded and wondering what you are trying to accomplish by continuing to post in this thread that you are done with Dresden?

Of course, calling someone a fanboy is simply a dismissive rhetorical technique which usually means you are simply trying to convince everyone that yours is the one true opinion and anyone who disagrees should be dismissed with a wave of the hand.

Is this thread mostly for fans of Jim Butcher? Sure, that's rather obviously the purpose of the thread. I suspect it's obvious to anyone who reads it on a regular basis that alansplace is the poster who keeps the thread going and he's a big fan. Being a fan of something is a good thing, IMPO.

But how would you react if someone jumped on a board for some author, band or show that you are a fan of and kept posting negative things about it? I like some of Jim Butcher's books, but not all, so I don't consider myself a fanboy. Rather I respect that one shouldn't go out of the way to throw a wet blanket on what other people enjoy. It doesn't accomplish anything and annoys others. Once again, just my personal opinion. You can take the feedback or ignore it as you like.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:00 AM   #8608
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
No, not policing, I'm no moderator to tell people what to do. I'm just pointing out that claiming a book you never read didn't met expectations is rather closed minded and wondering what you are trying to accomplish by continuing to post in this thread that you are done with Dresden?

Of course, calling someone a fanboy is simply a dismissive rhetorical technique which usually means you are simply trying to convince everyone that yours is the one true opinion and anyone who disagrees should be dismissed with a wave of the hand.

Is this thread mostly for fans of Jim Butcher? Sure, that's rather obviously the purpose of the thread. I suspect it's obvious to anyone who reads it on a regular basis that alansplace is the poster who keeps the thread going and he's a big fan. Being a fan of something is a good thing, IMPO.

But how would you react if someone jumped on a board for some author, band or show that you are a fan of and kept posting negative things about it? I like some of Jim Butcher's books, but not all, so I don't consider myself a fanboy. Rather I respect that one shouldn't go out of the way to throw a wet blanket on what other people enjoy. It doesn't accomplish anything and annoys others. Once again, just my personal opinion. You can take the feedback or ignore it as you like.
fanboy
/ˈfanbɔɪ/
Learn to pronounce
INFORMAL
noun
a male fan, especially one who is obsessive about comics, music, movies, or science fiction.
verb
(of a male fan) behave in an obsessive or overexcited way.
"he fanboyed out meeting his idol on the red carpet"

No sign of any rhetoric device in the definition, and that's how I meant it.

But how would you react if someone jumped on a board for some author, band or show that you are a fan of and kept posting negative things about it?

We didn't keep posting 'negative' things about it, we just did once or twice. I'd have no problem with this scenario, since I have had a thick skin from the Imdb days and even here.

Last edited by Luffy; 10-02-2020 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:38 PM   #8609
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
One of my libraries had BG for me today but I had to defer it a few weeks - I've had several other books come off hold this week that I have to get through first...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:33 AM   #8610
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I don't want to give spoilers but wow. I still haven't absorbed what happened yet. I have to say it didn't come as a shock though as I feel the story was building up to this over the last few books.

Last edited by Dopedangel; 10-06-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy