Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #841
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Have you tried the sticky thread titled: "Kubrick: Live CD to debrick Kindle 3, 4, and Touch"

I do believe all three mirrors still work just fine.
Even if not, the appropriate place to ask about Kubrick is in the Kubrick thread... to which I am now moving this post.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #842
DarthSmeg
DarthSmeg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
My Kindle Touch will not start Diags mode.

I have followed the instructions in both this thread and the Original "Simple" debricking thread.

I can do the following:
- Start in USB Downloader mode
- Set the Kindle to Fastboot mode
- Flash the diags partition

But when the device reboots, the diags interface does not appear. The screen goes blank as the device reboots, but the only image that comes up is the Kindle screen with the boy under the tree.

On windows I can use the MfgTool and I see the Kindle turn up. Choosing the Diags boot here does the same thing: Reboots the kindle, same screen.

I've tried downloading the kt_5.0.1-mmcblk0p2_diags+ssh.img.gz file from http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images.php, and used fastboot to flash the diags partition manually:
./fastboot flash diags kt_5.0.1-mmcblk0p2_diags+ssh.img

fastboot confirms the operation, but a reboot still results in the same screen.

Am I flashing the wrong thing somehow? Using the wrong image?
DarthSmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #843
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Perhaps, what are the first four characters of your device's serial number.
(Shown in device settings or on your Amazon device account page.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #844
DarthSmeg

According to fastboot:
B011140822331J7P

I am thinking there may be a mismatch between the kernel version and the diags image version I am trying to upload.

Can I check which kernel I am running? Can i use fastboot to flash the kernel partition with a matching kernel?
Old 11-11-2015, 01:56 PM   #845
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSmeg View Post
I am thinking there may be a mismatch between the kernel version and the diags image version I am trying to upload.
I don't see in your posts where you installed a kernel.

You have to use the 5.0.1 diags kernel.
Read the readme.txt file at the link you posted.

Nor do I see where you have tried using Kubrick (which is the thread your posting in).
Advert
Old 11-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #846
DarthSmeg

In post #842 I explained how I tried to run Kubric.

It goes well until the step where the wizard flashes something and tries to reboot the Kindle into diagnostics mode. According to the wizard (and the other threads here) I am supposed to get a menu on the Kindle, and enter some menu-selections there, but that never happens. The kindle seems to restart, but the screen just shows the boy under the tree.

I've since then read through the "simple" thread and tried to understand the various steps. And I've managed to get fastboot and imx_usb working on Ubuntu. I understand how to flash various partitions, but I'm not sure which images go where.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #847
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
In post #842 I explained how I tried to run Kubric.
- - -
Quote:
I have followed the instructions in both this thread...
That isn't exactly obvious that you where reporting that Kubrick did not work for you.

Again:
Flash the matching diags kernel.
Reboot.
Wait - if the device has to recover the flash file systems and the flash has any bad blocks, you may have to wait a few days.
Just keep it on a wall charger while waiting for it to recover.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #848
DarthSmeg

Sorry if I was unclear, and thank you for taking the time to respond.

When you say "matching diags kernel", could you be more specific? I've seen the same advice in other threads, but it not obvious to me.

Going with the images on this link: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/
Would the correct procedure be to flash
kt_5.0.0-kernel_diags.gz to the diags_kernel partition
and
kt_5.0.1-mmcblk0p2_diags+ssh.img.gz to the diags partition?

I see that you wrote I should use the 5.0.1 diags kernel, but it's not on the list. Is there somewhere else I can download it from?
Old 11-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #849
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Sorry if I was unclear, and thank you for taking the time to respond.

When you say "matching diags kernel", could you be more specific? I've seen the same advice in other threads, but it not obvious to me.

Going with the images on this link: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/
Would the correct procedure be to flash
kt_5.0.0-kernel_diags.gz to the diags_kernel partition
and
kt_5.0.1-mmcblk0p2_diags+ssh.img.gz to the diags partition?

I see that you wrote I should use the 5.0.1 diags kernel, but it's not on the list. Is there somewhere else I can download it from?
I must have had my 5.0.1 and 5.0.0 reversed.

Flash **THE CONTENTS** of those two compressed files.
Translation:
De-compress them before using them.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #850
DarthSmeg

Ok, so I think I am doing this right:

I gunzip those 2 files, set the kindle to fastboot mode and then use flashboot to flash the partitions as I stated.

I'm also looking at the n00b guide (http://www.mediafire.com/view/?xrn3v3ln6cn2n75) which also involves flashing the main kernel in the same way. As the linke for the main kernel and main partition in that guide do not work (gitbrew.org seems to be unavailable, or the domain registration has expired) I have used the main kernel from hhttp://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images.php

All these commands finish as expected, and I verify that the bootmode is set to diags.

However, now nothing happens when I run fastboot reboot

The Kindle does not reboot, and lsusb still shows 1949:d0d0 (which is the fastboot-mode).

Trying to run further fastboot commands just result in a hanging terminal window, the process can't be stopped with Ctrl+c. Physically unplugging the Kindle results in the process terminating, however.

Edit: Rebooted by holding the power-button for a loooong time, and connected it to a mains-charger. An lo and behold! The Diags menu appeared! Great! One step closer
Old 11-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #851
DarthSmeg

And my Kindle is back!

Thanks for your help, knc1! I don't know what really did the trick in the end, and why Kubric didn't work. Perhaps it needed more time? Or a different combinations of images on the various partitions?
Old 11-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #852
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@DarthSmeg: if Kubrick booted properly on your PC and you did everything according to the instructions, then I don't really see a reason why the "standard Kubrick" procedure wouldn't have worked for you.

Kubrick operations always start from the most basic (user-accessible) mode that the device even has, and reset the device to a known-good state.

If you can, and want to, can you please retry a Kubrick restore, and report back the results?

@knc1:
Spoiler:

... Yeah, "long time no see", and you're pretty right. Still:

;-)

Last edited by ixtab; 11-20-2015 at 11:15 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #853
knc1
Going Viral

I was just trying to make a reasonable sounding guess.
= = = =
The only thing of any real significance that has happen while you where away was Amazon's introduction of the 5.6.x series firmware for all touch screen devices (other than the original K5).

Last edited by knc1; 11-21-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #854
slimerbaggins27
slimerbaggins27 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I've downloaded kubrick for my kindle keyboard but whatever I do I can't shift the empty battery screen. Kubrick claims it finds my device but the flashing stage takes 3 seconds and says it's "complete". Obviously this is far too quick for it to of actually worked. I ran the program again without my kindle even connected and once again kubrick said it had found my device and flashed it. I can't even put my kindle keyboard into usb download mode. Anyone got any more tricks to try?
slimerbaggins27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #855
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimerbaggins27 View Post
I've downloaded kubrick for my kindle keyboard but whatever I do I can't shift the empty battery screen. Kubrick claims it finds my device but the flashing stage takes 3 seconds and says it's "complete". Obviously this is far too quick for it to of actually worked. I ran the program again without my kindle even connected and once again kubrick said it had found my device and flashed it. I can't even put my kindle keyboard into usb download mode. Anyone got any more tricks to try?
A new battery.