Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #8161
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
So, as always, I acknowledge that my opinion on Hyperion as a self-contained novel may not be shared by the majority.
Can I be part of your minority?

I read it when there was no sequel also, and I was more than cool with it. I loved that there was eventually more, but would have been just as happy if he had "let it ride."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #8162
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Just curious...have you read David Zindell's Neverness? Oddly (to me), it is not considered a part of the sequel trilogy A Requiem For Homo Sapiens, and to me it has a large amount of free-fall at the end too. Again though, I do like that book, and I've never got around to completing the Requiem trilogy. Actually, Hyperion and Neverness would have to be in my top 5 SF books.

Yes. but to be honest it was ages ago and I don't really remember that it made an impression on me. ...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #8163
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Can I be part of your minority?

I read it when there was no sequel also, and I was more than cool with it. I loved that there was eventually more, but would have been just as happy if he had "let it ride."
Of course you can. You, me and bookfiend can all hold Kenny down and give him purple nurples until he says "Hyperion was a really good self-contained novel!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yes. but to be honest it was ages ago and I don't really remember that it made an impression on me. ...
I hate you, Kenny.

[Just for the benefit of others, my "I hate you Kenny" is actually overcompensation for the exact opposite. I very much like and respect him and his opinions, but please don't tell him that. Kenny, don't read this bit. ]

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #8164
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well, I found it [Emissaries of the Dead by Adam-Troy Castro.] to be an excellent SF/Mystery novel with an interesting protagonist and universe. I'll be adding the next novels to my wish list. Recommended.

I'm not sure what I'll read next. I'm out this evening, so I have some time to decide.
OK, I've decided. The Sea is Full of Stars by Jack L. Chalker. I bought it back in August 2008 during one of Fictionwise's 100% micropay rebate sales. ($299.51 in one go. Wow. No wonder I have such a large a backlog!) No longer on sale at Fictionwise.

Set in his Well of the Worlds universe, but somewhat disconnected from his other books set there, or so I'm told. So far it's interesting. One character seems to be a member of a wandering religious order, who at one point thinks about another character:

"... like most people, Ming was spiritually deaf. [...] [trying to convert] the deaf ones was not only fruitless, it was, to her people, blasphemous. If God had wanted them He would have called."
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #8165
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Toutes ces choses qu'on ne s'est pas dites, by Marc Levy.

but it'll be long before I finish the book, 'cause my sister was using my Kindle to finish Wuthering Heights (and then she was absolutely in love with the device and decided to buy one for herself). She is waiting for hers to arrive, and in the meantime, she's currently using mine to read some other works.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #8166
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant
Well, I found it [Emissaries of the Dead by Adam-Troy Castro.] to be an excellent SF/Mystery novel with an interesting protagonist and universe. I'll be adding the next novels to my wish list. Recommended.
I truly enjoyed this one and its sequel, The Third Claw of God. Very unique closed-room, scifi whodunnits. There was an Andrea Cort short story in a recent issue of Analog, and there appears to be third novel (War of the Marionettes), but it seems to be only available in Germany. It was released in 2010, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-08-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #8167
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There was an Andrea Cort short story in a recent issue of analog
Yes, it was reading that story that prompted me to finally read the novel. Unfortunately, The Third Claw of God doesn't seem to be available (as an ebook) in the UK, but I have managed to ad it to my Amazon wish list so I don't forget it.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #8168
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I loved the Moravecs, they were by far the best part of Ilium/Olympos.

Right now reading Céline's Journey to the end of the night. Wonderfully funny and cruel. Also started Blood Meridian. I love being on holiday!!!
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #8169
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt
Also started Blood Meridian.
I'm just wrapping up Blood Meridian.

Enjoyable isn't the proper word to describe it... I don't think it was intended for "enjoyment." What it is... is a dark brooding example of an artist whose mastery of his chosen craft is complete. This novel produced more hauntingly beautiful passages than George Zamfir and his pan flute.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #8170
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I'm confused. Are you referring to the book or the TV series? I am looking on Amazon and I can't tell what is what.

I'm always looking for "WOW" book. Thanks.
Both! I was wowing that the book achieved Firefly status, because I don't think there was ever a t.v. show made that inspired as much passion in its fans as Firefly. The book series is quite "wow", too! Give both a try, if you can!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #8171
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Both! I was wowing that the book achieved Firefly status, because I don't think there was ever a t.v. show made that inspired as much passion in its fans as Firefly. The book series is quite "wow", too! Give both a try, if you can!
Yep, very recently someone told me he thought the cancelling of Firefly was a crime against humanity
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #8172
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
Yep, very recently someone told me he thought the cancelling of Firefly was a crime against humanity
It was.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #8173
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I just ended Conan Doyle's mistery "A study in scarlet" and started Charlie Stross' scifi "Accelerando".

all on my phone.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #8174
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
It was!! Firefly was an awesome show, that was given very little chance to succeed. I'm happy to see "Mal" on Castle now, at least.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #8175
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
I just ended Conan Doyle's mistery "A study in scarlet"

I read that a few weeks ago. It surprised me as I wasn't expecting a Sherlock Holmes story to deal with Mormonism and the US West. Good story though.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote