> 8000 3 5.45%
Yes, i'm getting more page turns now 20 36.36%
No, i am NOT getting more page turns 6 10.91%
No, i am getting LESS page turns 11 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #61
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Extraordinary work, 3d0g - many thanks!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #62
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Now, if y'all don't mind, I'm gonna go actually read on my kobo for a bit.
3d0g WOW what an effort! I can't believe you spent a week madly pressing the big blue button on your Kobo and didn't even get to read anything. I would never be able to do that. I think the information you have provided on this thread is very valuable and quite interesting.

My battery drain (with extensive reading rather than button pushing) has mirrored your experience so far. An initial rapid drop of one to two bars after only limited use then a more gradual decline. Unfortunately I had a messy weekend and so my reading was interupted several times resulting in extra power ups. This is not the way I usually read but I suspect it is more typical for the average reader.
I am now getting up towards 6000 page turns - uncharted territory for me as I have never been able to read so many books on a charge before - and the battery indicator shows just under half way. I think it will drop again as soon as I turn on the Kobo as it's been there for quite a while.
I expect to run out either today or tomorrow. Sadly I have to do some work today and go to a meeting tonight so I won't be able to do much reading for the next couple of days.
When it does run out I promise I will vote!

Once again a BIG THANKYOU to 3d0g
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #63
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
...and what's absolutely amazing is that 3d0g seems to be saying that he got *exactly* 8000 page turns out of a charge. I can imagine a few people at Kobo feeling pretty smug right now... :-))

Good testing... well done...
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #64
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

I'm assuming that 3d0g's right thumb is now about 3 times bigger than his left.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #65
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Well my Kobo battery is finally flat!
I got about 7000 page turns - as I was reading and not counting I can't be sure of the exact number. This is a huge improvement for me since the upgrade.
I read 5 different books and started a 6th - about 2000 pages in PDF that required 3 page turns per page (I was reading in landscape) and about 500 pages in EPUB that needed 2 turns per page. I read over 3 and a bit days with a long reading session each day but on one day I had multiple reading sessions with probably at least 10 start ups after either sleep mode or a full shut down.
I got my first low battery warning at around 6500 page turns which required a shut down and restart to continue reading. I then got 2 more low battery warnings about 12 page turns later. With 3 restarts in a few minutes I was just about to give up but I wanted those couple of hundred pages that 3d0g got!! It paid off and I managed to read another 500 page turns. Enough to finish one book and start another!
Then it froze and refused to respond to anything other than being plugged in to recharge.

I LOVE MY UPGRADED KOBO
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #66
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

I decided to charge mine up the other night, then log the books that I can read before it runs out. Then figure the Kobo page turns.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #67
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I've been writing down everything I've done with my reader for now 7 days (just because I'm curious). I think I might get a better read on how long my battery lasts if I just continue to do what I normally do with it and keep track of everything. So, as of this morning I still have 1/3 battery life left (which it's been at 1/3 since day 3).
This is what I've done so far:

13 sleep/shut down cycles
16 sleep/on cycles
15 on/loaded whatever book I'm reading
10 menu selections (usually checking the battery)
1773 actual pages turned

I don't know what to make of this so far, is this good for a battery? I know that I probably let mine go into sleep mode and turn it on before it shuts off more often than most people since I read at my desk at work when I have a minute (literally).
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #68
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hey guys,

Awesome that you are getting lots of page turns. 3d0g that's pretty much consistent with our own tests, great work.

One thing I'd mention is we implemented the power down at a certain battery level (the warning message) so that we could gracefully power the device down and do any associated clean up work and safely shut down the eReader. v1.0 did not have this and we saw that it was a gap we needed to fill.

In other words, please heed the battery warning and resist the urge to power it back up. At least the 2nd time
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:33 AM   #69
pleochroic
pleochroic began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, OLPC XO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
I can't imagine not getting 2 weeks or more in my normal use (maybe 50 pages a day, on average). Yours really goes from a full charge to unresponsive dead in 3 days? I wonder if I got the "golden" kobo????
yup. stinger is correct in his guess; i am a heavy reader (600+ pages a day), and i read in many small increments -- which is why the new auto-shutdown is also extremely inconvenient for me, and why it quite likely eats up my power faster than yours under normal circumstances.

however it does look like i might have a lemon-coloured kobo; the two other people who're doing tests are also heavy readers and are getting better performance than i do. so i guess i'll have to exchange my unit. but i'll do your test first; i'm real curious now.

i love all you geeky testers.
pleochroic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #70
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, my battery just died after 10 days of tracking every page I've turned and every button I've pressed. Here's what I got:

20 Sleep/Off cycles

36 Sleep/On cycles

26 Turned it on and loaded my book

19 Menu selections (skipping chapters or checking the battery)

2763 actual pages turned

I didn't make it to 8000 or 2 weeks but 10 days without having to charge it was pretty good. I can't even get a full 2 days without having to charge my blackberry and laptop.
In the end, I'm happy with my results. But they still need to do something about the auto shutdown and sleep timer, especially for people like me that read sporadically throughout the day.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:20 PM   #71
fab0109
fab0109 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Dead battery

empty battery

Firmware 1.4

stuck on cover page

power button not doing something

need to put USB cable

after less than 21 chapters (was full charged)

and AFTER i put sd card in (if matter and to avoid dust in)

before putting SD card no issue during last 8 days (around 300 chapters)

VERY DISAPPOINTED
fab0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #72
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by fab0109 View Post

after less than 21 chapters (was full charged)

and AFTER i put sd card in (if matter and to avoid dust in)

before putting SD card no issue during last 8 days (around 300 chapters)

VERY DISAPPOINTED
Chapters aren't a terribly accurate measure, and if you didn't get the "Please charge" message, your kobo was probably not dead but locked up.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #73
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fab0109 View Post
empty battery

Firmware 1.4

stuck on cover page, power button not doing something, need to put USB cable, after less than 21 chapters (was full charged), and AFTER i put sd card in (if matter and to avoid dust in), before putting SD card no issue during last 8 days (around 300 chapters)

VERY DISAPPOINTED
I'm not seeing that significant a drop in page turns when using a SD card in but several other reports that using an SD card significantly reduces the number of pages before a recharge is necessary.

This may depend on the SD card you are using. Going by information from some manufacturers, there is quite a variation in the amount of power drawn by various SD card. The idle current drain numbers I found range rather widely (50 => 300 microamps) as did the active current drain. I don't think the Kobo writes to the card but the read current consumption seems to vary with the speed of the card -- faster cards tend to draw more power even for read cycles. A slow 1GB or smaller SD card seems to be the best choice for low power consumption.

Might be interesting to see what brands/size/speed rating of SD cards are being used along with any reductions in page turns when using the SD card.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #74
panzer
panzer began at the beginning.

I bought my Kobo last Saturday (five days ago). It has v.1.4. First thing I did was to charge the battery until the led becomes blue (about 3 hours). Today I checked the battery status and it was already third of its capacity....
Is it normal?

Last edited by panzer; 08-04-2010 at 06:28 PM.
panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #75
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer View Post
I bought my Kobo last Saturday (five days ago). It has v.1.4. First thing I did was to charge the battery until the led becomes blue (about 3 hours). Today I checked the battery status and it was already third of its capacity....
Is it normal?
See 3D0G and my posts below (or above, depending on the way you're looking at this thread).
On my 3rd day my battery was at 1/3 and it stayed that way for days.