Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2006, 03:41 AM   #61
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
I went ahead and got the NexxTech light from Circuit City, linked on the first page... it incidentally seems to have been taken off their website already as well.

My initial impressions: In a completely dark room, I don't think the light is bright enough to read comfortably. Maybe my eyes suck too much, but it's not that comfortable...I guess I'm just used to lots of ambient light (from a table lamp or overhead lights). Furthermore, I'm not sure if it's the design or just because it is really cheap, but the earhook annoys the crud out of me. I can't really move my head much without the hook disconnecting (but which can be put together again easily). My main reason in getting this one over any of the others is because I already have rechargeable AAA batteries and I'm too lazy/cheap to deal with yet another type of batteries (the nice round ones).
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:11 AM   #62
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
One can also use the headlamps sold for outdoor activities.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2006, 09:14 AM   #63
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this interesting temporary alternative....

You can use the backlight on a Treo or other PDA with a mostly white page displayed as your Sony Reader light!
And limit the super long battery life of the Sony Reader with the 4~5 hours of a PDA?
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #64
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
One can also use the headlamps sold for outdoor activities.
I've finally settled on this solution. I've tried every book light device I could find and have not been happy.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:56 PM   #65
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Perhaps, the problem is not so much which book light to use, but how to use it? Many book lights will allow you to adjust the angle at which the light falls onto the page, and when the angle is not direct 90 degrees, the reading may be much more comfortable.

I use the CYCLOPS 3-LED Book light (see the picture below), which I bought a long while ago. It's a bit expensive, but it may be worth it. When the light falls at the about 60 degree angle from the right the reading is just about as comfortable, as with an overhead lamp.

porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2006, 09:51 PM   #66
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
I picked up one of these:
http://www2.shopping.com/xPO-Energiz...www.google.com

at Target for $6. Seems to work pretty well after I added some additional "frosting" to the diffuser with #150 sandpaper. Very light and has a very skinny base/clip.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 11-04-2006 at 11:18 PM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:42 AM   #67
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I have tested my 3 LED booklight with my Sony Reader and I think it works quite well. The clip is nice and tight and you can push it all the way down on one part of the cover.

The light is without spots. The only thing is that the downpart is a little darker then the top but still good readable. Reflection is no issue because it's a matter of good adjustment. I think I will stick with this for now.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #68
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Excellent, I'm glad you found something that works for you!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:16 AM   #69
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

I have tried the 3 LED light for almost a week now and I think it's close to be perfect.

Reflection of the LED's on the screen? Not equal lighted screen? Here's a tip:

Clip it on the right side. This will give you equal light on the screen. And you can tilt the Reader without reflection on the screen.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00064.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	2118   Click image for larger version

Name:	00065.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	2119  
Old 11-08-2006, 09:06 AM   #70
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

What is it actually clipped to? The cover? The unit?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:28 AM   #71
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv
What is it actually clipped to? The cover? The unit?

To the cover directly behind the Reader.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:38 AM   #72
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Cool. That's the Great Point Light you show in other photos?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #73
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Yep that's the one. The light is in real even better because the camera shows reflection on the right side of the housing that in reality is way less.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #74
KRavEN
KRavEN began at the beginning.

Something like the old GBA Triton Labs Afterburner kit would be perfect. The GBA product was an LED driven lightguide that installed inside the GBA case and looked stock.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about google for "GBA Triton Labs Afterburner"
KRavEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #75
KRavEN
KRavEN began at the beginning.

Like this:

http://www.hahotech.com/english/en_flu.htm

Looks like they make different sizes, maybe be possible to get one custom for the sony..
KRavEN is offline   Reply With Quote