Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #61
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
All this editing/proofreading/preparation cost they recite like a mantra, done not once, but twice or more times because the same book/manuscript is sold to multiple publishing companies?
That's an interesting question. Lots of books have different titles in the US and UK (in fact you have to watch out that you don't buy 2 copies!), but I don't know whether the insides are ever different in terms of editing etc.

In another thread, someone said that it was more common to sell to one publisher who then sold on the rights to other regions, which would avoid duplicated effort, but this isn't always the case.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #62
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
That's an interesting question. Lots of books have different titles in the US and UK (in fact you have to watch out that you don't buy 2 copies!), but I don't know whether the insides are ever different in terms of editing etc.

In another thread, someone said that it was more common to sell to one publisher who then sold on the rights to other regions, which would avoid duplicated effort, but this isn't always the case.
The spelling is different at least.
alvico is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #63
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
GR definitely needs to be included in this and other polls.

In another thread someone reminded me that the Fictionwise advanced search included location as a criterion. So I used this for a little research.

I selected all "secure" books from April last year (when GR really started to bite), and compared availability between GB and US both overall, and for the categories that I often browse.

All books : 37% available for GB (4787/12671)
Fantasy : 59% available for GB (267/449)
Mystery : 17% available for GB (104/605)
SciFi : 11% available for GB (31/280)
Suspense : 27% available for GB (146/527)

Ouch! On average 63% of secure ebook sales are unavailable outside of the US, and worst case 89%? And remember that very few of that 63% are epublished elsewhere (at the moment, anyway).

No surprise then that my own FW purchase value over the same period dropped by over 90%, from >$500 to a few 10s of $$.

Somewhere somebody must be starting to itch, if not yet to hurt. It's not me though. I have a huge reading and re-reading list, and can always find someplace else that is happy to take my money.

Snowman

Last edited by Snowman; 02-11-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #64
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post

In another thread someone reminded me that the Fictionwise advanced search included location as a criterion. So I used this for a little research.

I selected all "secure" books from April last year (when GR really started to bite), and compared availability between GB and US both overall, and for the categories that I often browse.

Ouch! On average 63% of secure ebook sales are unavailable outside of the US, and worst case 89%? And remember that very few of that 63% are epublished elsewhere (at the moment, anyway).

No surprise then that my own FW purchase value over the same period dropped by over 90%, from >$500 to a few 10s of $$.

Somewhere somebody must be starting to itch, if not yet to hurt. It's not me though. I have a huge reading and re-reading list, and can always find someplace else that is happy to take my money.

Snowman
And yet they claim something like only 10% of books are affected! Thanks for this.

Last edited by alvico; 02-11-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #65
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
Yes, I have by accident bought a book that I already owned several times while visiting used bookstores in London and Sydney. The titles do change.

I doubt many have different editing, but here is one detailed example from one of the Harry Potter books:
http://www.hp-lexicon.org/about/book...ences-hbp.html

Many, many changes. Besides spelling, we differ in some ways with the past tense of verbs and pluralization. And, of course, what the words mean:

"A few words are "translated" when using the original would be confusing. For example, the British "pants" is translated to the American "briefs", since the British word refers to underwear, while that same word in American refers to outerwear. And Mrs. Weasley makes her kids "jumpers" in the British version, but since Americans see that as referring to a girl's dress, we find that she makes her children "sweaters" instead."

Last edited by asjogren; 02-11-2010 at 04:01 PM.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #66
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Alvico
And yet they claim something like only 10% of books are affected! Thanks for this. ....

Really?? I haven't seen that claim before - can you recall where you saw it?

My experience of Fictionwise and other US etailers is like Snowman's - just about everything I would like to buy there these days is unavailable for me in the UK.
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #67
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
well, i went back and voted, but imo a poll missing several important options gives an askew view of the subject.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #68
alvico
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
Alvico
And yet they claim something like only 10% of books are affected! Thanks for this. ....

Really?? I haven't seen that claim before - can you recall where you saw it?

My experience of Fictionwise and other US etailers is like Snowman's - just about everything I would like to buy there these days is unavailable for me in the UK.
My experience here in Australia is exactly the same.

"Fewer than ten percent of our titles are restricted in any way." : http://www.ereader.com/help/Geograph...ictionsFAQ.htm
Old 02-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #69
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post

Snowman
Thanks for that. Further confirmation that publishers involved in applying GR are closely related to Dodo's.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #70
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvico View Post
My experience here in Australia is exactly the same.

"Fewer than ten percent of our titles are restricted in any way." : http://www.ereader.com/help/Geograph...ictionsFAQ.htm
I would happily second that statement
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #71
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840

Hmm. A good explanation of GR but they're clearly talking about their own catalogue. I think the consensus on MobileRead is that the problem is far more widespread, particularly on the more mainstream sites and especially with bestsellers and recent titles. Thanks for the link Alvico.
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #72
alvico
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post

Hmm. A good explanation of GR but they're clearly talking about their own catalogue. I think the consensus on MobileRead is that the problem is far more widespread, particularly on the more mainstream sites and especially with bestsellers and recent titles. Thanks for the link Alvico.
Maybe, but every single book I've been looking to buy from ereader.com is restricted. (Haven't bought from them in months.) I think if Snowman's research was conducted there, it would produce similar results to his other survey. Fewer than 10%? I don't think so.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 AM   #73
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvico View Post
Maybe, but every single book I've been looking to buy from ereader.com is restricted. (Haven't bought from them in months.) I think if Snowman's research was conducted there, it would produce similar results to his other survey. Fewer than 10%? I don't think so.
Long ago I actually sent them an email about these 10%, telling them they had it backwards... It's roughly 10% which are non restricted.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:29 AM   #74
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I would say DRM is the biggest issue and then price. If you have to deal with DRM it should be either cross platform (works on all devices) or multi (cloud) platform allowing a single eBook purchase to be downloaded into the various platform necessary to be put on all of an individual's reading devices. After that I would like to see reasonable pricing ang timely releases of eBooks.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #75
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Publishers did not invent geo restrictions within the past year; geo restrictions have been part of publishing for decades.
They have indeed, and for all of those decades nothing has prevented individuals from buying books from stores located in other countries, as up until the past year nothing prevented individuals from buying e-books from stores located in other countries - the point of sale was defined by the location of the seller, not the format of the book. Trying to hand-wave that away is disingenuous at best.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote