Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 07:35 AM   #61
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
You might want to be a bit more careful with your choice of words. Poor Slite could be lurking about.
Pfft... that one is TOO obvious....
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #62
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
I keep checking in on this thread that is now four pages long hoping to read new details about an upcoming Asus device launch, but noooo....

Can someone who tracks Asus PLEASE start a new thread when there is some actual news, I just can't keep coming back here to read an additional full page of off-topic content with no mention of Asus launching a new device.

But y'all have fun here.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 07:38 AM   #63
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Trying to fight foreign words or loanwords is like fighting a guerilla war against mosquitos in order to get one's lebensraum, i.e., a bit naïve, one needs a bit of savoir-vivre and talk about it sotto voce...

Spanish, Spanish, German, Latin, French, French, Italian...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #64
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGagne View Post
I wish people would stop thinking the world ends at the borders of their own country and language.
Nobody was talking about the world, it was about the forum. This forum is in English, so it's good manners to use English. I am not transcribing Russian words for book reader in this forum (Chitalka), nor do we see people from Asia doing it. Just makes everything easy.

On the side note I hate this word for e-book reader, assiciates with Lice.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #65
pjssilva
pjssilva doesn't litterpjssilva doesn't litter

Device: Sony T1
Could we dream of a PixelQi screen? It would be great and supposedly they should be able to produce in volume by the end of the year.
pjssilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #66
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
This forum is in English, so it's good manners to use English.
Bah. English is mostly a grab-bag of old german, french, latin, dutch, scandinavian, hindi and whatnot anyhow. Might as well stop using the word 'book' while we're at it, nothing but a dubious German import. Lisuesueueuse is a perfectly cromulent word, although probably tough on people with lisps.

If anglophones can sit on the verandah of their bungalow wearing pyjamas, sipping chai while using a telephone to arrange a rendez-vous after the siesta that will follow their lunchtime mulligatawny, I don't see why they can't have a read of some e-livres on their lisueuseusesessethingys while they're at it.

Last edited by b0ned0me; 09-09-2009 at 10:07 AM.
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #67
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjssilva View Post
Could we dream of a PixelQi screen? It would be great and supposedly they should be able to produce in volume by the end of the year.
i think we can almost expect it. PixelQI is (nearly ?) ready for mass-production already and it would seem to fit the bill for a device like this, definitely. i'll be very interested to see the first uses of it (i think we'll definitely see some notebooks / netbooks using it very soon, why not a liseuse as well ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ned0me View Post
Bah. English is mostly a grab-bag of old german, french, latin, dutch, scandinavian, hindi and whatnot anyhow. Might as well stop using the word 'book' while we're at it, nothing but a dubious German import. Lisuesueueuse is a perfectly cromulent word, although probably tough on people with lisps.

If anglophones can sit on the verandah of their bungalow wearing pyjamas, sipping chai while arranging a rendez-vous after the siesta that will follow their lunchtime mulligatawny, I don't see why they can't have a read of some e-livres on their lisueuseusesessethingys while they're at it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #68
pjssilva
pjssilva doesn't litterpjssilva doesn't litter

Device: Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Given the eventual (and sometimes rapid) obsolescence of computing hardware and software, I think it would always be important to keep paper copies of books around and safely stored. Or else books could be lost forever with all the knowledge and historical value they possess.
The solution to that is not paper. It is to stick with open formats and realize that we don't need to change file formats only because technology got better. Changing formats should be done only when absolutely needed and, if possible, keeping some kind of backward compatibility.

Music has wav (and flac). For books, looks like epub is the future dominant and open format. We should encourage its use. For print ready books we can use PDF.

Another plague is DRM. I don't use DRMed files because I want to be able to open my music, books or whatever media in 20 years, after the company savers go down.

Obs: Talking about file formats. When I as 17 (I am now 36), I wrote some, few, poems using word (old DOS days). After 5 years I could not open the file anymore (for what ever reason, the new word version did not open it and I had a paper copy so I just retyped them in pure txt files). After that I learned my lesson. Now everything I write is in latex (which is basically a text file with markups). I can still open (and compile) the reports I wrote during college 16 years ago.
pjssilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
What's funny is that Google's Word Monkey translates it "Reading Light"
So the thread title is really...

Asus to launch cheap reading light this year.

Reader in French is lecteur. eBook in French is eBook. eBook reader in French is eBook reader.

Seems liseuse is the wrong word to use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #70
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ned0me View Post

If anglophones can sit on the verandah of their bungalow wearing pyjamas, sipping chai while using a telephone to arrange a rendez-vous after the siesta that will follow their lunchtime mulligatawny, I don't see why they can't have a read of some e-livres on their lisueuseusesessethingys while they're at it.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #71
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So the thread title is really...

Asus to launch cheap reading light this year.

But in terms of weight (rather than content, as per travelling light f'r example), you will be reading light
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #72
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thousands (if not millions) of books have been lost forever throughout history because of fires, wars and any other cause that led to their destruction.

I can't see how technology could be the cause of books being lost, on contrary it is saving them with projects like Gutenberg or Google. It'
s true that technology is a fast evolving beast and it's very possible that none of the current formats will survive but there will always be converters and people and organization to use them. Changing technologies won't lead to losing books, it will save them.

As for the discussion about the book store. Story books are one thing but there's also the dictionaries, encyclopaedia, technical books, reference books etc. There's always gonna be people needing help and advice in choosing the right one which is why I hope technology doesn't kill book store.

But I don't see why stores couldn't sell eBooks, eReaders, accessories but with their knowledge and advice as added value. This is no different than anything else. Nowadays one can buy anything on internet but some people prefer going to a store and talk to someone who will recommend the best make and model for them.

If I want to buy the lastest Stephen King in eBook I can do it online, if I want an eBook dictionary or encyclopaedia and don't know which one would be best for me I'd like to go to a store and talk to someone to help me.

BTW: I second pking36330 proposal of starting a new topic about Acer readers when anyone has new information, we did a pretty good job at hijacking this one.
EricGagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #73
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Liseuse or death!!!!!
I prefer death.

OT: that thing is simply too large for an average free-time reader.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #74
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
eBook in French is eBook
According to Quebec's Office de la Langue Française, eBook (They actually use e-Book, not eBook) in French is "Livre électronique". They have no translation (yet) for the reader.
EricGagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #75
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
Asus plans to join the ebook reader fray with a smarter and cheaper device called the Eee Reader. Asus will launch the device before the end of this year, The Sunday Times writes citing a spokesperson for Asus in the UK. The company may even launch multiple devices. The Asus ebook reader will open like a book and feature a touchscreen. Pages could be flipped from one screen to the next, or one screen could be used as an on-screen keypad. The device would have full colour screens, may also feature speakers, a webcam and and a microphone for services such as Skype. Asus is reportedly aiming for a price of GBP 100.

Wow!! That ereader looks great. A double pane color ebook reader. Now if it was a touch screen that would be totally sweet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I wonder why people enjoy being nasty and inflicting pain for no other reason but I can do it, I can make someone feel bad, so I will do it.
Even animals are above it.
Exactly that was my first reaction when I read your first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
zelda_pinwheel
I firmly believe that it is a show of bad maners .....
It's only rude if people carry a conversation in front of you, but if it's one word that is understood, I just think you woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

However on the topic of manners it's the poorest form to go on and correct others....much like I'm doing now.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liseuse