Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #61
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hmmm... on page 103 of the 600 manual (about handwriting notes), i see this :

Quote:
(If the marked page was not created on the PRS-600, only the thumbnail will be displayed.
and also this :
Quote:
If multiple [handwritten notes] fall on the same position, they appear side by side.
This product (PRS-600) cannot display a markup that was created on a model whose screen size is different.
smells like a larger-screen device also with handwriting notes coming ! 900, perhaps ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #62
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Really?! Aw, shoot! I SO wanted a new Windows machine....

Good thing for Sony they made that footnote
yes, i'm very disappointed, myself.
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #63
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
From the 600 manual:

Hint
 The Reader can be charged by connecting to a computer
using the supplied USB cable.

I seem to recall others mentioning on the earlier readers that having the reader connected to the computer would drain the battery. I guess this is a change (and a good one!)
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #64
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwdoo View Post
From the 600 manual:

Hint
 The Reader can be charged by connecting to a computer
using the supplied USB cable.

I seem to recall others mentioning on the earlier readers that having the reader connected to the computer would drain the battery. I guess this is a change (and a good one!)
Eh, no. Actually, this is the way I charge my Reader. It is only connecting to, for example, a laptop that is running on battery, that will drain the battery.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #65
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Eh, no. Actually, this is the way I charge my Reader. It is only connecting to, for example, a laptop that is running on battery, that will drain the battery.
...or, being connected to a computer when it goes into sleep mode. i believe that also will drain the battery.
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #66
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I can't find info how to export your bookmarks, comments, notes drawings from PRS-600 to the PC
The only hint is on page 51 - perhaps the notes will appear as content on the device and you will be able to transfer it to the Sony Library Software.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #67
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I expect it all will be explained in the manual for eBook Library software.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #68
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
my 500 is black, but I saw the 505 in silver very svelt looking..are the dim. for the 600 the same dim. as 505 I ask because i'm thinking i'm going to pre-order a cover for my new 600 brown leather maybe.
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #69
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminarovich View Post
my 500 is black, but I saw the 505 in silver very svelt looking..are the dim. for the 600 the same dim. as 505 I ask because i'm thinking i'm going to pre-order a cover for my new 600 brown leather maybe.
The 505 is 6.9 x 4.8 x .3 inches
The 600 is 6.9 x 4.8 x .4 inches
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #70
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
I live in Canada, and I don't see the new Sony Readers mentioned, or for pre-order on the Canadian site. I am anxious to buy one (probably the 300), and hoping it will be released in Canada at the same time as in the U.S., and for the same price. Does anyone have any information about this? Thank you.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #71
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
I live in Canada, and I don't see the new Sony Readers mentioned, or for pre-order on the Canadian site. I am anxious to buy one (probably the 300), and hoping it will be released in Canada at the same time as in the U.S., and for the same price. Does anyone have any information about this? Thank you.
Won't be the same price here. The 300 will be priced CDN$279 and the 600 CDN$399. Here is a quote from their press release I found on sony.ca.

Quote:
The Reader Pocket and Touch Editions, available for $279 and $399 respectively, as well as accessories such as adaptors, cases and covers with reading lights, will be available at the end of August at http://www.sonystyle.ca/ and Sony Style retail locations across Canada. Book lovers interested in trying out a Reader in person will also be able to find them for sale at Best Buy and Future Shop.
Even if you take into account the exchange rate we are still taken to the cleaner big time.

Last edited by frozennorth; 08-12-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Added quote from sony website
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #72
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
Won't be the same price here. The 300 will be priced CDN$279 and the 600 CDN$399. Here is a quote from their press release I found on sony.ca.

Even if you take into account the exchange rate we are still taken to the cleaner big time.
I'll do the math. At the current exchange rate 1 CAD = 0.918387 USD:

PRS-300 @ 279.00 CAD = 256.23 USD
PRS-600 @ 399.00 CAD = 366.44 USD

I agree.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 08-12-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Fixed math
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #73
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
My Red 600 will be on the way at the end of the month. That's really all I can say on these boards right now since I have never owned an e-reader... haha. I feel like a broken record, but I'm so giddy for the new toy.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #74
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
I really like the 600. If it had support for a Spanish dictionary, I'd order one today, and my 505 would replace my wife's 500. Hopefully we'll be able to figure out how use other dictionaries with the new firmware.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:25 AM   #75
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
color

I've been researching the ereaders lately and am giving serious consideration to purchasing the Sony PRS-600. You all have been discussing purchasing the silver versus the black model. I happen to like the color red but am somewhat concerned that color would be a distraction while reading. Has anyone owned an ereader device in a color not black or silver and what that bright color a distraction?
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote