Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #61
sguerrini97
Enthusiast
sguerrini97 began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
The original author suggested me to use gifsicle to resize the GIFs: https://www.lcdf.org/gifsicle/
I tried it and the GIFs are working fine. However I still don't like the result, the best we can do is probably redraw them from scratch at a proper resolution.

@wodan16 yep it did a great jump lol, no problem
sguerrini97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #62
Hanspeter
Connoisseur
Hanspeter doesn't litterHanspeter doesn't litter

Device: Kindel PW1, Voyager
So here is Version 0.6 but the tile set is changed to "thick" or "thick_k3" as you can see here better with stone is on top of the other stones.

HaPe
Attached Files
File Type: zip xmahjongg_0.6_thick.zip (1.35 MB, 149 views)
Hanspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2016, 02:46 AM   #63
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Layout "schoon" doesn't work.
Typo in "menu.json" file.
Code:
"action": "bin/start_schoon.sh",
should be changed to
Code:
"action": "bin/start.sh",
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:14 AM   #64
Hanspeter
Connoisseur
Hanspeter doesn't litterHanspeter doesn't litter

Device: Kindel PW1, Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Layout "schoon" doesn't work.
Typo in "menu.json" file.
Code:
"action": "bin/start_schoon.sh",
should be changed to
Code:
"action": "bin/start.sh",
Thank, fixed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xmahjongg_0.7.zip (1.35 MB, 139 views)
File Type: zip xmahjongg_0.7_thick.zip (1.35 MB, 138 views)
Hanspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #65
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sguerrini97 View Post
If you are still looking in how to setup a cross toolchain, it's very simple on debian (should work on Ubuntu too):
Spoiler:
https://wiki.debian.org/CrossToolchains#Installation
Just use "armel" instead of "armhf" to have a working CC for Kindle.
Look at my Makefile here, you may need to change the one in the project (e.g. use arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc instead of gcc): https://github.com/sguerrini97/gtk_s...aster/Makefile
Header files are the same across platforms afaik, but you need the libraries either from the Kindle or from the debian armel packages.

I think what knc1 suggested is a better approach, just wanted to show an easier way.

Edit:
Here is what knc1 suggested https://wiki.debian.org/QemuUserEmulation
Get the xmahjong source then

Code:
./configure --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=arm-linux-gnueabi
make
Binary file is "src/xmahjongg"
When I run it I get the same result as the first screenshot OP posted
Would you mind explaining quickly the comparison of/positives and negatives of:
1. installing the cross compiler toolchain,
2. using qemu and compiling it on the (emulated) device.

You say you think knc1's idea of using qemu is better, why I don't understand why.
I want to build some code for kindle, but I'm not sure which method to follow.

I really appreciate it, thank you!
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #66
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
- - - -
You say you think knc1's idea of using qemu is better, why I don't understand why.
I want to build some code for kindle, but I'm not sure which method to follow.

I really appreciate it, thank you!
Partly it is subjective, partly technical.

There is code and then there is code.
Many software projects include test routines.
Running under an emulated environment lets you do the "make test" or "make check" that is supplied with the code.

You can't do that in a cross-compile environment.

Combining the techniques of qemu-static and a chroot - -
Then you can native build, including the install steps, (using "DESTDIR" argument) without fear of over-writing your host's version of the files.

If your dead set on using a cross-compile build environment - -
Use Buildroot(.org) - if they don't already have in the build tree what you want - you can easily add it.
The Buildroot build environment is high-quality, used by commercial embedded development (and developers).

Of course, you can do both -
Have Buildroot turn out a tar-ball of your stuff and everything else that it is dependent on.
Then populate a qemu-static, chroot with that tar-ball and test the hell out of (without risking your Kindle (yet) ).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #67
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Partly it is subjective, partly technical.
Thanks, it's a learning experience.
I feel this stuff is so vast for people who are new!
I might even play with both methods, to get a feel for them, thanks for the information.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #68
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Embedded programming is a post degree subject.
You should be able to pick it up on your own in just a few decades.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #69
zxczxc
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguerrini97 View Post
If you are still looking in how to setup a cross toolchain, it's very simple on debian (should work on Ubuntu too): https://wiki.debian.org/CrossToolchains#Installation
Just use "armel" instead of "armhf" to have a working CC for Kindle.
Look at my Makefile here, you may need to change the one in the project (e.g. use arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc instead of gcc): https://github.com/sguerrini97/gtk_s...aster/Makefile
Header files are the same across platforms afaik, but you need the libraries either from the Kindle or from the debian armel packages.
I feel very stuck, I installed the crosstool chain, that part works, I have compiled a 'hello world' program, that compiles and runs on my kindle fine.
(After I understand how this way works, I want to try the qemu set up later on)

But when I try to compile code that requires X11 and needs '-lXtst -lX11', I get errors.
Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: cannot find -lXtst
Ok, so I copied the /lib/ and /usr/lib folders from the kindle,
I put them all in a folder called 'kindlelibs' in my ~/Documents, and include that folder to be searched in the makefile.
Code:
-L/home/user/Documents/kindlelibs
But NOW I get the error
Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: cannot find /lib/libpthread.so.0
That file exists in the same place -lXtst (lixXtst.so) is, and that was found, so why not libpthread.0.so?

I don't know why it is looking in /lib for that library, because I told it to look in my kindlelibs folder in my documents. I thought when looking for libraries/header files, the compiler/linker will search all directories you provide, no?

It's not sure if this is a simple problem to fix, sorry for the trouble.
Thanks
Old 09-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #70
knc1
Going Viral

Try first for more information, use the gcc option(s) to print out the search path being used for each item searched for.
Once we know how it is going wrong, it will be easier to fix.

The man(ual) command is your friend and recognized by web-search applications if you don't happen to have the documentation installed on your system.
man gcc
that should do the job for you.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #71
zxczxc
Addict

Ok I added -print-search-dirs (that seems what I should be doing) - this is the output when I make:

Code:
make kindle
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -print-search-dirs -DBUILD_KINDLE myturn.c -o myturn -pthread -Wl,-rpath,../lib -L/usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/lib -L../lib -L/usr/X11/lib -L/home/user/Documents/kindlelibs -L/home/user/Documents/kindlelibs/lib -lXtst -lX11
install: /usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/
programs: =/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-linux-gnueabi/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabi/bin/
libraries: =/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabi/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabi/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabi/lib/:/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/:/lib/:/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/:/usr/lib/
So it seems the problem is the kindlelibs dir (bolded in red) that I thought I added, doesn't show up in the libraries that gcc is searching.

Did I add it wrong? (It did something because it seems to provide the libXtst.so, without it I got this error)
Old 09-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #72
knc1
Going Viral

Hmm...
Hard to tell from that, all I can suggest (since I can't read your makefile from here):

Finding and fixing the cause of the visible errors might expose the problem.
First glaring problem:
Code:
:/usr/lib/
Will search the host libraries, which will not be ARM code, if it was, you wouldn't be cross-compiling.

See if you can find where that is getting added to the path.
Other errors might be near-by.

At worse - you have a make file not written with cross-compiling in mind.
(Did I mention? Cross-compiling can be a real bitch. That is why people use build systems for that purpose.)
Old 09-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #73
zxczxc
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Hmm...
Hard to tell from that, all I can suggest (since I can't read your makefile from here):

Finding and fixing the cause of the visible errors might expose the problem.
First glaring problem:
Code:
:/usr/lib/
Will search the host libraries, which will not be ARM code, if it was, you wouldn't be cross-compiling.

See if you can find where that is getting added to the path.
Other errors might be near-by.

At worse - you have a make file not written with cross-compiling in mind.
(Did I mention? Cross-compiling can be a real bitch. That is why people use build systems for that purpose.)
Ok so here is the makefile:
Code:
CROSS_COMPILE = arm-linux-gnueabi-
CFLAGS = -pthread
LDFLAGS = -Wl,-rpath, -L/usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/lib  -L/home/user/Documents/kindlelibs -L/home/user/Documents/kindlelibs/lib -lXtst -lX11
SRC = myturn.c
OUT = myturn

# -print-search-dirs

kindle: $(SRC)
	$(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc -DBUILD_KINDLE $(SRC) -o $(OUT) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS)

clean:
	rm $(OUT)
I have done some projects for Playstation Vita, Nintendo 3DS, cross compiling for them seemed easy compared to this! Although I admit it is a bit more documented/spoonfed!

Code:
make kindle
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -print-search-dirs -DBUILD_KINDLE myturn.c -o myturn -pthread -Wl,-rpath, -L/usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/lib  -L/home/user/Documents/kindlelibs -L/home/user/Documents/kindlelibs/lib -lXtst -lX11
programs: =/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-linux-gnueabi/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabi/bin/
libraries: =/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabi/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabi/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/:/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabi/lib/:/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/:/lib/:/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.9/:/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/:/usr/lib/
Right at the end there, I see /usr/lib/ which you said is not good... but I am never providing that path...
What about my PATH environment variable, that must be a consideration too...?
Code:
echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
I don't see /usr/lib - so I assume not.

Thanks for all this help
Old 09-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #74
lucida
Enthusiast
lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
Ok so here is the makefile:
Code:
CROSS_COMPILE = arm-linux-gnueabi-
CFLAGS = -pthread
LDFLAGS = -Wl,-rpath, -L/usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/lib  -L/home/user/Documents/kindlelibs -L/home/user/Documents/kindlelibs/lib -lXtst -lX11
SRC = myturn.c
OUT = myturn

# -print-search-dirs

kindle: $(SRC)
	$(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc -DBUILD_KINDLE $(SRC) -o $(OUT) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS)

clean:
	rm $(OUT)
I have done some projects for Playstation Vita, Nintendo 3DS, cross compiling for them seemed easy compared to this! Although I admit it is a bit more documented/spoonfed!

Code:
make kindle
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -print-search-dirs -DBUILD_KINDLE myturn.c -o myturn -pthread -Wl,-rpath, -L/usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/lib  -L/home/user/Documents/kindlelibs -L/home/user/Documents/kindlelibs/lib -lXtst -lX11
Right at the end there, I see /usr/lib/ which you said is not good... but I am never providing that path...
What about my PATH environment variable, that must be a consideration too...?
Code:
echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
I don't see /usr/lib - so I assume not.

Thanks for all this help
I use amazon's own toolchain and here is a quick instruction:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=34
lucida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #75
zxczxc
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucida View Post
I use amazon's own toolchain and here is a quick instruction:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=34
Ok so I will download this and inside there will be a toolchain to compile - sounds good!
https://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kind...4910023.tar.gz

The instructions seem simple. When I copy the kindle libs from kindle to the host, I copy /lib/ or /usr/lib - or both (or is there more I missed?)

Thanks for all the help.

-- I assumed Amazon's toolchain was in the source code... I don't see it.
Embarrassing, it must be somewhere on Amazon's site, I'll keep looking.

- found it, it was there after all - (build_linaro-gcc_4.8.3.tar.gz)
I'm building it now

Last edited by zxczxc; 09-22-2016 at 05:04 AM.