Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #61
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Wasn't a "most favored nation" clause part of the reason Apple wanted agency pricing to start with? So that they always had the lowest price regardless of sales elsewhere. I seem to remember something similar for Amazon but can't point to anything specific.
My understanding is that the publishers wanted agency pricing and had wanted it for a number of years. Apple said sure, as long as we get a most favored nations clause. IMPO, a company would be less than wise to agree to agency pricing without some guarantee that they wouldn't be sold for less elsewhere.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #62
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
It saddens me that large publishers obsession with preserving the declining but profitable print book business by attempting to slow ebook adoption is being pursued at the expense of not only readers but of their authors.
You'd think that their goal is to teach a whole generation the habit of piracy....

Just like the music industry was insisting on $2.99 per compressed, DRM-ed track a while back.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #63
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Just like the music industry was insisting on $2.99 per compressed, DRM-ed track a while back.
When was this? I don't ever recall per track pricing being anywhere near that high.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #64
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
When was this? I don't ever recall per track pricing being anywhere near that high.
It wasn't. The iTunes store opened at $1 per track.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #65
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It wasn't. The iTunes store opened at $1 per track.
And that was considered high, compared to existing online download stores.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2015, 09:29 PM   #66
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
My understanding is that the publishers wanted agency pricing and had wanted it for a number of years. Apple said sure, as long as we get a most favored nations clause. IMPO, a company would be less than wise to agree to agency pricing without some guarantee that they wouldn't be sold for less elsewhere.
This is the first time I have come across this characterisation of what occurred. Publishers approaching Apple? I always thought Apple had wanted in to the market but only on condition it would not have to compete with Amazon on price. Would you please provide the source or sources from which you reached this "understanding"?
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #67
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
You'd think that their goal is to teach a whole generation the habit of piracy....

If low prices discouraged people from avoiding payment, dollar-type stores would have little shoplifting. But all the evidence I see -- admittedly impressionistic -- is that low prices are totally compatible with people commonly taking what they didn't pay for. Here's one data point:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Emp...RVW2888269.htm

Now, the psychology of piracy is a bit different than the psychology of shoplifting, especially on the uploading side. People who upload pirated eBooks, I strongly suspect, are doing it from a misplaced idea of helpfulness. IMHO they'd still want to help if the books sold for a quarter.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:05 AM   #68
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
If low prices discouraged people from avoiding payment, dollar-type stores would have little shoplifting. But all the evidence I see -- admittedly impressionistic -- is that low prices are totally compatible with people commonly taking what they didn't pay for. Here's one data point:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Emp...RVW2888269.htm

Now, the psychology of piracy is a bit different than the psychology of shoplifting, especially on the uploading side. People who upload pirated eBooks, I strongly suspect, are doing it from a misplaced idea of helpfulness. IMHO they'd still want to help if the books sold for a quarter.
Steve. Below is a link to my own post on this topic in another thread. I do not believe piracy is price insensitive. A Google search using the words "piracy price sensitivity" yields many results. I quickly noted two scholarly articles which appear to support my belief, though they unfortunately require payment. Could you find so little to support your point of view that you had to resort to a link to an internet forum inviting employees/former employees of a particular dollar store to post on their experiences? Although I almost always disagree with you, I have nevertheless come to expect better of you than this.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=151
Old 05-21-2015, 03:55 PM   #69
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This is the first time I have come across this characterisation of what occurred. Publishers approaching Apple? I always thought Apple had wanted in to the market but only on condition it would not have to compete with Amazon on price. Would you please provide the source or sources from which you reached this "understanding"?
"
Publishers told Apple they were unhappy with Amazon's standard price of $9.99. Although they received the full wholesale value of each book sold by Amazon, publishers didn't want $9.99 to catch on as the new default price for e-books, especially since this was so much lower than hardcovers. One strategy they used to keep revenues up was to delay the release of e-book versions of new books, but Apple told publishers it opposed this tactic in its then-forthcoming e-books store. HarperCollins wanted to flat-out charge as much as $18 or $20 for e-books, but Apple Senior VP Eddy Cue also made it clear that this was unrealistic. Apple was more amenable, however, when HarperCollins suggested using an "agency model" instead of the wholesale model used by Amazon.
"

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...-judges-words/

There are numerous other articles as well that mention that the publishers wanted to set their own prices (i.e. the definition of agency pricing) for some time, especially if one goes back to stories that were written before or during the trial. All one has to do is do a bit of research.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #70
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
"
Publishers told Apple they were unhappy with Amazon's standard price of $9.99. Although they received the full wholesale value of each book sold by Amazon, publishers didn't want $9.99 to catch on as the new default price for e-books, especially since this was so much lower than hardcovers. One strategy they used to keep revenues up was to delay the release of e-book versions of new books, but Apple told publishers it opposed this tactic in its then-forthcoming e-books store. HarperCollins wanted to flat-out charge as much as $18 or $20 for e-books, but Apple Senior VP Eddy Cue also made it clear that this was unrealistic. Apple was more amenable, however, when HarperCollins suggested using an "agency model" instead of the wholesale model used by Amazon.
"

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...-judges-words/

There are numerous other articles as well that mention that the publishers wanted to set their own prices (i.e. the definition of agency pricing) for some time, especially if one goes back to stories that were written before or during the trial. All one has to do is do a bit of research.
Prior to Apple coming on the scene Agency Pricing does not even seem to have raised its ugly head. Publishers were colluding monthly in private rooms of New York Restaurants. They were unhappy with Amazon's pricing, and actually tried eliminating discounts to booksellers including Amazon and Windowing as a means of trying to force Amazon to increase price. It was Apple who approached the Publishers to set-up initial meetings in relation to ITunes. It seems Agency Pricing was first proposed by Apple. Page 37 of the Judgment under the heading "F. Apple Switches Gears and Presents An Agency Model with 30% Commission" makes this abundantly clear based on actual evidence.

To quote your own statement "All one has to do is a bit of research". Please go and do it! I recommend the judgment you apparently so despise as an excellent starting point.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:16 PM   #71
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
A Google search using the words "piracy price sensitivity" yields many results. I quickly noted two scholarly articles which appear to support my belief, though they unfortunately require payment.
I didn't spot, with any certainty, the links in question. Since I have library access to most journals, I'd be glad to check them out.

Obviously there is some level of piracy price sensitivity, given certain stipulations. I doubt it amounts to much in real life, since the ratio of free to any given price is still infinite. One non-blocked paper claims that piracy isn't really free, since there is some probability of going to jail. I didn't find that convincing, given the vanishing small rate of downloading piracy prosecutions -- for eBook downloading, I believe the rate is zero. This suggests to me that the price sensitivity of downloading is probably less than for traditional retail theft, where there really is a cost of punishment to balance against the value of the item purloined.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #72
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I didn't spot, with any certainty, the links in question. Since I have library access to most journals, I'd be glad to check them out.

Obviously there is some level of piracy price sensitivity, given certain stipulations. I doubt it amounts to much in real life, since the ratio of free to any given price is still infinite. One non-blocked paper claims that piracy isn't really free, since there is some probability of going to jail. I didn't find that convincing, given the vanishing small rate of downloading piracy prosecutions -- for eBook downloading, I believe the rate is zero. This suggests to me that the price sensitivity of downloading is probably less than for traditional retail theft, where there really is a cost of punishment to balance against the value of the item purloined.
Thanks Steve. There are many results. A few which I noted are:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...744joce1402_01

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...67923610002137

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...ract_id=825165
Old 05-22-2015, 05:41 AM   #73
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Prior to Apple coming on the scene Agency Pricing does not even seem to have raised its ugly head. Publishers were colluding monthly in private rooms of New York Restaurants. They were unhappy with Amazon's pricing, and actually tried eliminating discounts to booksellers including Amazon and Windowing as a means of trying to force Amazon to increase price. It was Apple who approached the Publishers to set-up initial meetings in relation to ITunes. It seems Agency Pricing was first proposed by Apple. Page 37 of the Judgment under the heading "F. Apple Switches Gears and Presents An Agency Model with 30% Commission" makes this abundantly clear based on actual evidence.

To quote your own statement "All one has to do is a bit of research". Please go and do it! I recommend the judgment you apparently so despise as an excellent starting point.
You know that's why I tend to ignore the normal "prove it" posts demanding that I show evidence that disagrees with someone's closely held faith. Usually such posters don't want evidence one way or the other, they are just looking for a starting point to start blasting. You asked for evidence that the publisher rather than Apple suggested agency pricing. I gave it to you.

I'm aware of Judge Cote's judgement and have read it. Just because she claims something doesn't make it fact. That's one of the points of the appeal.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:37 AM   #74
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
You know that's why I tend to ignore the normal "prove it" posts demanding that I show evidence that disagrees with someone's closely held faith. Usually such posters don't want evidence one way or the other, they are just looking for a starting point to start blasting. You asked for evidence that the publisher rather than Apple suggested agency pricing. I gave it to you.

I'm aware of Judge Cote's judgement and have read it. Just because she claims something doesn't make it fact. That's one of the points of the appeal.
Seriously? Your "proof" is an Arts Technica post which actually wasn't too bad but was perhaps a little carelessly worded. My response was taken directly from the judgment which was based on the actual evidence heard. I have not so far been able to find a copy of the actual grounds of Appeal but I would be amazed if Apple is even contesting this question of fact.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #75
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

I'm not too fussed over who first proposed Agency during the publisher-Apple chats. But i notice you seem to be finally accepting that Apple did engage in coordinating talks to have the publishers demand, en masse, an Agency model which included prices arbitrarily fixed at certain Apple-approved price points.

I am proud of you.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote