Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #61
GA Russell
Riders' last win July 19
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xroads View Post
Quite honestly, outside of the grocery store and gas station, I make all of my purchases, not just books, on the internet now. The convenience is just too irresistible.
And the savings! Not only do you save on gas, but you're not paying sales tax, usually. This past year a great deal of what I purchased on the net came with free shipping.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #62
shutterbugtn
shutterbugtn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
This has been a fascinating read. Here are some thoughts that I had.

I find it ironic how BN and Borders are going through what the mom and pop shops experienced.

I fully support the move to ebooks. I have moved 13 times and honestly I am so sick of moving books. I love that I can start getting rid of my paper books and switching over. My home will be cleaner and less cluttered.

I will miss reading a book while taking a bath though. Maybe they will make a waterproof, rugged ereader.
shutterbugtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #63
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbugtn View Post

I will miss reading a book while taking a bath though. Maybe they will make a waterproof, rugged ereader.
the word for that is 'Ziploc'
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #64
roc
Enthusiast
roc is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Streak 5, Archos 80, Sony 950, Linux/X86 droid, OLPC XO, cbgs
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
And the savings! Not only do you save on gas, but you're not paying sales tax, usually. This past year a great deal of what I purchased on the net came with free shipping.
Uh, we in NC (I'm in Durham, neighbor) are "supposed" to report such out-of-state untaxed purchases on our NC income tax forms. I SWAG it ... some years.

Don't toot this horn too loudly, as it gives more ammo to the states for bellyaching to Congress about how much of OUR money they are not collecting, and how an Internet commerce tax is "needed" - like one robber complaining to a more successful one about the lean pickings, and asking for help.

Guess I would not be so bitter if I saw them spending OUR money more carefully, and if we could vote out the money/power-grubbing crooks, but anyone new coming in seems to wind up the same way - "power corrupts...".
roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:55 AM   #65
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Florida has already implemented a sales tax on a large number of items (tangible or digital) bought/sold online.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #66
roc
Enthusiast
roc is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Streak 5, Archos 80, Sony 950, Linux/X86 droid, OLPC XO, cbgs
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
Florida has already implemented a sales tax on a large number of items (tangible or digital) bought/sold online.
Does that include the retailers in OTHER states collecting the tax, and forwarding to Florida? I suspect not (as with NC - voluntary compliance most likely), and that is the big debate going on about getting the Feds to enforce that on behalf of the states under the Constitutional Interstate Commerce provision.
roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #67
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
All states with sales tax impose taxes on goods bought online, although I few still don't tax intangibles. However, the issue is not with imposing sales tax; the issue is with making out-of-state companies *collect* the sales tax. That is unconstitutional unless the entity has a physical presence in the state.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote