Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #61
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
It's the Librie Text Assistant. When I start the program and open a PG text file and drag the window wider, the text doesn't reflow because of all the hard returns. Clicking the PROCESS button at the bottom causes the text to reflow, but it retains the paragraphs just fine.

I got it from the Librie group at Yahoogroups. Go to the Files section, then go to the Content Generation folder and download LibrieTextAssistant_Win_01.zip.

Since I don't have my Sony Reader yet, what I do is to open a file in Librie Text Assist and click the Process button, and then click the SAVE AS button and save it to a different folder. Doing it like this saves it as a text file for further work in other applications, but from what I saw when I brought some sample files into Borders to test them, this is all I'll need to do to my thousands of PG files to make them very readable on my Reader when I finally save up the money to buy it.

I can see the difference in the Connect software, which I've already downloaded and installed to experiment with.

Librie Text Assistant beats all the macros and word-processing programs combined, it is so easy -- one click to open the file (with however many other clicks necessary to navigate to the file you want to open) one click to Process, one click to save as. If I weren't so hung up on keeping the original PG files intact (I may surrender and decide I won't want them that way ever again and simply click SAVE) for a total of 3 clicks (plus however many are necessary to open the file itself.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #62
GBC
Enthusiast
GBC doesn't litterGBC doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500, PRS 505, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch
Thank you for the information. I'll give it a try.
GBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2007, 04:54 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey
Librie Text Assistant beats all the macros and word-processing programs combined, it is so easy -- one click to open the file (with however many other clicks necessary to navigate to the file you want to open) one click to Process, one click to save as. If I weren't so hung up on keeping the original PG files intact (I may surrender and decide I won't want them that way ever again and simply click SAVE) for a total of 3 clicks (plus however many are necessary to open the file itself.
That sounds like a useful tool, but it actually is just as easy if you use something like Stingo's Word macro . Just open the file, press whatever key combination you've assigned as a shortcut for the macro (I use "Ctrl+Alt+E" - E for "EBook") and then re-save the file.

The reason I like the macro approach is that it is, of course, completely "programmable" - I can make it do exactly what I want, rather than what someone else thinks that I want.

There's no one "right answer", of course. We all have to find the approach that suits us personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #64
GBC
Enthusiast
GBC doesn't litterGBC doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500, PRS 505, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch
It tried the librie text assistant and it works great! Thanks for telling us about it.
GBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:05 AM   #65
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
The Libre Text Assistant does not work. Well I will qualify that it works GREAT at getting rid of the hard returns but it also gets rid of all the paragraphs turning the entire book into a single mass paragraph ???

I also tried open office. Auto Correct does nothing at all but simply opening and saving in open office fixes many but not all of them. I have no idea why it fixes some but not all. they are simple text files to the best of my ability to determine.

Suggestions ?
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 AM   #66
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
The librie text assistant works wonderfully on the PG books, which have double hard-returns for the paragraphs. It gets rid of the single hard-returns and leaves the double hard-returns.

Of course, if the original text has only a single hard-return for separation of paragraphs, the text will end up as nerys says, one long mess.

So you could go through such a text file in Librie Text Assistant and add a second hard return to separate the paragraphs, then process the file to remove all the single hard returns but leave the double hard returns.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #67
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I use Stingo's macro to preprocess PG text files before I load them into BookDesigner. RTF is my favored format for interchange and retention. I find this method to be quicker and more consistent that having BD fix the files.

I am not bothered to keep the original PG file intact. If I need another copy I can always download it from PG again.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:04 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
I use Stingo's macro to preprocess PG text files before I load them into BookDesigner. RTF is my favored format for interchange and retention. I find this method to be quicker and more consistent that having BD fix the files.
Agreed - with text files I do the same. More and more of the PG stuff these days is available in HTML; with that I go directly to BD.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:27 PM   #69
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
So is there anyway to fix these ? Doing it manually is just not worth it as its a full size novel it would take hours :-( Is there a way to "replace" several spaces with a hard return and several spaces ?

it does indent the paragraphs so I could run it through the libre program then open it in notepad and do a find and replace. but how do I insert a hard return and some spaces ?
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The easiest way to fix up the PG books with spaces between the paragraphs is to use Word to search/replace. Works very easily.

I did however use html2lrf for the last book I formatted. I fixed up the ToC and put in page breaks and then let html2lrf do it's magic and it worked very well. I used Frontpage to edit the HTML as needed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote