Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #61
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Because now Apple will be selling books. They have not done that before.
or bought an i-tune anywhere else.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #62
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
This article from E-commerce News suggests a compelling reason Apple wont ban the app - they don't want an FTC investigation...

Amazons Kindle May Crash at the iPad
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #63
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
This article from E-commerce News suggests a compelling reason Apple wont ban the app - they don't want an FTC investigation...

Thanks for the link and info!

Much appreciated.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #64
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yeah - very interesting.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #65
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post

On the other hand, why isn't the FTC investigating Amazon because the Kindle doesn't handle e-pub and it is impossible to use many other formats on the device?

Funny many people are screaming about the iPad being able to render every kind of e-book, meanwhile the Nook, Kindle, Sony devices are partially or fully closed to many alternative formats provided by other vendors.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #66
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
On the other hand, why isn't the FTC investigating Amazon because the Kindle doesn't handle e-pub and it is impossible to use many other formats on the device?

Funny many people are screaming about the iPad being able to render every kind of e-book, meanwhile the Nook, Kindle, Sony devices are partially or fully closed to many alternative formats provided by other vendors.
Apples and oranges may make a great fruit salad, but they are terrible for comparisons.

A file format is just another feature. What Apple is doing is blocking competitors on their platform while allowing other third parties. This could be a violation existing regulations. We shall see.

If Microsoft were to ban the Safari browser from all Windows machines, how long do you think it would take for a lawsuit to be filed? 1 day? What if it banned FireFox?
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #67
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post

Right now all of this talk, mine and that of others, is just speculative guessing. Perhaps entertaining, but certainly not definitive.

I agree 100% with you there.

Apple seems particularly good at playing a poker faced game where their business decisions are concerned. While interest in most tech launches fades pretty rapidly, the talk about Apple products seems to go on and on, due in no small degree to the part that the knockers obligingly play in keeping the pot stirred and the buzz going. It wouldn’t surprise me if their marketing team even posted a bit of hate mail themselves occasionally just to keep the publicity bubbling along. Nobody seems to get the debates going to quite the degree that Apple manages - even the penguins at the South Pole are probably arguing about the iPad right now.

My guesses on the Amazon/Kindle aren’t based on any particular love for Apple, or claims of personal knowledge of their past history. They’re based on winding the microscope back a bit and looking at a wider picture.

We’ve only known about the iPad for a few weeks now, but the planning at Apple must have been going on for months if not years now. I’m sure that they would have considered a number of angles for maximising their own control and commercial advantage - as all businesses do. I certainly did. But I would expect that the core strategic decisions would have been made a while back rather than being left to the last minute. It’s only the public that are still guessing.

Realistically, what advantage would there to Apple in blocking Amazon Kindle apps now (or in the next week or two) rather than simply telling them beforehand that they wouldn’t be allowing it? I’m sure that Apple have been having some pretty tough negotiations with a number of people behind the scenes, but I can’t see any mileage for them in not having things mostly sorted by now. It probably suits them to have the media throwing out a steady stream of speculation about collapsing deals and wobbly negotiations, because it keeps the publicity going. But it would be a significant public relations problem for them if they stomped on the Amazon/Kindle app at this late stage.

Apple may be controlling, arrogant, or however you might see it, but I don’t reckon they’re silly enough to hand their detractors a plum opportunity like that right now. The anti-Apple brigade would hail it as vindication of their Darkside view of Apple, and also claim that it showed they were not just losing the plot but losing their commercial grip as well.

The timing just seems all wrong for a stomp. My guess is that Apple’s aim right now is the equivalent of the Political Photo Op - a snap of all the protagonists shaking hands and smiling at the camera. Give it a few months and they can all go back to kicking each other in the balls, but I’d be punting on an appearance of unity being the short term goal.

Once the launch is done with then a bit of ongoing biff in some areas could be tolerated - even massaged to keep interest up - but somehow I don’t think it will centre on the Kindle app.

I could be completely wrong of course - it has been known!

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #68
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC333 View Post
Realistically, what advantage would there to Apple in blocking Amazon Kindle apps now (or in the next week or two) rather than simply telling them beforehand that they wouldn’t be allowing it?
Unfortunately, reality seems to have little bearing on the app submission process. They've driven a lot of talented devs away with their shenanigans. (The latest one is de-listing wifi scanner apps...)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #69
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Unfortunately, reality seems to have little bearing on the app submission process. They've driven a lot of talented devs away with their shenanigans. (The latest one is de-listing wifi scanner apps...)

Nobody here is denying that Apple have the power to decline apps. They've doubtless upset some people by removing desirable stuff and yet pleased others by cleaning out some of the dross.

The issue on this thread is the Amazon/Kindle app.

Do you or don't you think that Apple will ban it? Yes or no?

Maybe we should run a poll or sweepstake, just for fun. Perhaps the choices could be something like:
1. Banned before the iPad goes on sale on April 3rd.

2. Removed during the first week.

3. Removed during the first 6 months.

4. Temporarily suspended pending further negotiations, some time during 2010.

5. The deal's done - it will stay.

Don't be shy. Put your necks on the line people! Never mind what might happen, what do you think WILL happen. Is the risk of being wrong so terrible?

I'll definitely go for 5, but if pushed to make a second choice I might be tempted by a small 'saver' on 4.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 03-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #70
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Well, my point is I'm simply not prepared to place a bet because Apple have followed no process I consider rational in setting up and policing the app submission process. (And Apple don't "pre-ban" apps, you have to make it then submit...)
Old 03-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #71
ChrisC333
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Well, my point is I'm simply not prepared to place a bet because Apple have followed no process I consider rational in setting up and policing the app submission process.
Wimp! Come on - yes or no? You've spent enough time sniping at them. Put it on the line.

Quote:
(And Apple don't "pre-ban" apps, you have to make it then submit...)
You're kidding me, right? Surely you don't really think that a player with the clout of Amazon can't or wouldn't pick up the phone and thrash out the basic bottom line.

Cheer up dude, they're not all out to get you....

.... just some of them....
Old 03-25-2010, 01:02 AM   #72
DawnFalcon
Banned

No, I'm absolutely serious about the submission thing. I know Electronic Arts have had problems in that respect, and they're pretty big. I also think that the only people they're really hurting with their behaviour surrounding submissions are themselves.

(Sure, I advise against heavy development for the iPhone, but there are other platforms for devs, so...)

And no bet, simply because as I said their actions have been based on no pattern I can discern.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:40 AM   #73
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Mark my words, Apple will not try to block Kindle app. Why would they risk all the negative publicity they would receive right at the launch of a brand new class of device? They wouldn't. The negative public opinion would be far more damaging than any loss in ebook sales.

Instead, Apple is banking on all the people that do not have a Kindle to use it's book store. I guarantee Apple will sell more iPads in the first year than Amazon has sold Kindles for it's entire existence. Kindle is not quite as ubiquitous as you may think. And all the older generation that hasn't bought into an iphone, much less an e-reader, will jump on Apple's bookstore in a heartbeat.

Apple's bookstore is already linked to your itunes account. Amazon's will probably be the same as the iPhone where you have to go to a webpage, login, and then download a book. Not very hard, but lots of people would rather buy content from their device maker than a third party.

Finally, there is Steve Job's statement. Apple is the largest mobile DEVICES seller in the world. Devices. Macbook, iphone, ipod. iTunes and App Store are nice I'm sure, but the money is in the hardware. Apple would rather sell 10 million iPads than 50 million books. Do the math.

Last edited by palex481; 03-25-2010 at 03:46 AM.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:42 AM   #74
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC333 View Post
I agree 100% with you there.

... the talk about Apple products seems to go on and on, due in no small degree to the part that the knockers obligingly play in keeping the pot stirred and the buzz going. ....

I could be completely wrong of course - it has been known!

Cheers,

Chris
Yep, it's the Devil that keeps Jesus in business.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #75
ChrisC333
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep, it's the Devil that keeps Jesus in business.
Nicely put.

It might also explain why Linux still lags behind - nobody hates Linus Torvalds enough yet. If he would only abandon all that open source stuff, get a more more Control Freaky image, and work up a decent Hate Squad he might really start to challenge the two big contenders for the JC role.