Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #61
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I tend to keep my collection in calibre [and I only keep those I like] and I tag those I have yet to read with the tbr tag and have made a virtual library for them.
I keep about 100-150 books on my kindle at a time. Once I hit the 50-60 mark, I hook up the kindle to my laptop, delete all the read books off it through calibre and load up my next batch of tbr's. Doing this 2-4 times a year isn't bad and it gives me lots of choices without overwhelming me.

But I don't keep books, anymore, that I know I won't re-read. More for keeping my calibre library smaller for ease of management. I keep track of what I read at booklikes and I use that as a virtual list if/when I need it.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #62
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
It depends on the book, really. I still use my old Kindle and have a limited amount of space on it. So anything that's not an old favourite or part of a series that I'll probably want to skim through again once a newer installment comes out tends to go when I do the periodic purge. Same as for the comics on my BlackBerry PlayBook, even though I've got more space on that (but comics files are much larger, and too many of them in the library seems to make the none-too-stable ported reading apps crash).

OTOH, I have an 8 GB card in my Sony, so I guess technically it would be a long time before I filled it up. But in practice I tend to delete and reload a couple of times a year.

As for organizing my ebooks on the Mac, I just use the built-in Finder tags (and I suppose I could be using the comments and versioning as well). All I really keep track of is author/title/translator/original title/series #/year, which I can do in the folder names, and whether or not I've read something, which I can mark with coloured tags, so my needs are pretty simple and this is something that works well enough for me.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2016, 05:19 PM   #63
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I do all my book purchasing through my computer only, where they go right into my Calibre Library with Uncle Alf's touch and there they stay forever. I transfer only what I want to read to my reader (Kobo Glo HD atm), but I'll keep between 500-600 books on the reader at a time and just swap in others when that gets low. Even if I go out of town unexpectedly for a few weeks or even months, I have plenty to choose from without having to stop and bother to stock up the reader first. After I finish a book I delete it from the reader and mark it as read in Calibre, but it stays on my PC and backed up to several other hard drives and in the cloud.

I paid good money for those books, why would I just throw them away after I've read them since space is no longer an issue. There are certain books I like to reread, but even for those I won't reread, I won't just delete them.

Now utter garbage books with horrid formatting and not even likable in any sense and giving me only irritation while reading it will get deleted, but those usually don't even make it to being read past a few pages.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:12 AM   #64
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I hope that you keep a local backup as well as keeping them on your reader. Drives can and do fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Few months back, I lost about 5000+ books after my laptop HDD failed. Fortunately, I had backed up my library on the cloud. After that, I copied all to my reader too, and now I do not delete any book (unless a real bad one!) even after reading them. Although it becomes a tedious job to select your next 'to be read' book on a jumbled reader, but it is better than becoming 'bookless' at times.
Don't worry, I am obsessive about backups. Everything I have (music, documents, ebooks) are backed up at least twice (in the case of important documents, thrice).
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:29 AM   #65
theunderscore
theunderscore has read War And Peace ... all of ittheunderscore has read War And Peace ... all of ittheunderscore has read War And Peace ... all of ittheunderscore has read War And Peace ... all of ittheunderscore has read War And Peace ... all of ittheunderscore has read War And Peace ... all of ittheunderscore has read War And Peace ... all of ittheunderscore has read War And Peace ... all of ittheunderscore has read War And Peace ... all of ittheunderscore has read War And Peace ... all of ittheunderscore has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Kindle
If I loved the book, then it's likely I'll read it again in a year or so, so I'll keep it around. If not, then delete!
theunderscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2016, 07:36 AM   #66
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I got all my books on all my devices where I can possibly read on. Only my tablet is updated reguarly (only because that one contains my entire Calibre library, including Calibre, which is stored in OneDrive). My T68 (android) is update often, as that is easy, wireless using Calibre Companion. The H2O requires an USB cable and I can hardly open that compartment (the drawback of a watertight device ) so it only gets updated when I really want that book on it.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:50 AM   #67
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Kindle Fire, Kindle Pwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I keep them in case my older daughter (now a teenager) or my husband wants to read them.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #68
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Put it in the "Already Read" collection on my Kindle. Mark it read (0read0) in Calibre, which I have set to show in a different color, so it is easy to see what I have read. Rate it in Calibre. Delete it from Kindle. Delete it (not the listing, just the book) from Calibre.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:00 PM   #69
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
Burn them.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #70
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
When I first got my Kindle 3, I created a category called "Finished Books", where I move all the ebooks that I've finished. Sometimes I like to either reread them or pick out sections of the books I've read, so like them close to hand. I have backups and could use them, but I find this way easier for me.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:02 AM   #71
mbkimberley
Enthusiast
mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: none
Delete

I always delete them. I have rarely regretted it, on the theme of a reread and I don't think it is the same as throwing away a physical book.
mbkimberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:40 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Torrance View Post
Burn them.
What do you mean by "burn them", Jack? Can you elaborate?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #73
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkimberley View Post
I always delete them. I have rarely regretted it, on the theme of a reread and I don't think it is the same as throwing away a physical book.
I moved twice because my house was full of books... I could never throw away (or even sell) a book...
Old 01-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #74
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I moved twice because my house was full of books... I could never throw away (or even sell) a book...
Did you move to bigger houses or just leave the books behind?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:23 AM   #75
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Did you move to bigger houses or just leave the books behind?
First house was an appartment.
Second house was a row house (or a 1-family house as wel call it, and we're just the two of us)
Third house is a free standing house (which was an old smithy), with lots of room and one space that will be made into a library/reading room, including hammock