Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #61
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
basschick, I would seriously recommend you see the movie. The "alternate history" doesn't really change the characters....the resemblance and nuances and entire personalities are so on the mark, I thought for a while they really were the originals.......just way younger.
I think the biggest deal with the remade characters is, now they start right off with a history, along with "baggage." Oh, sure, we learned a lot about the characters as the original series progressed, then in countless books, all the movies, etc... in fact, a lot of that old character background made it into the new film.... but with the original series, it was like they were made up of whole cloth the first day of filming, and background was added later. Now, we get it all up front!

Normally, this just bums me out, stuffing every major event of a character's life into an exposition scene or two... it can be very badly done. But they did a reasonably good job with this one, avoiding exposition for dialogue that naturally brought the history out.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #62
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I just saw it and I didn't throw up. I was hoping not see Geriatric Wars again so I groaned a bit when Nimoy showed up yet again. But I suppose if there's absolutely no link to the original series, why would anyone show up? I was reasonably entertained.

Then, as I was driving home with my daughter, a thought occurred to me and I started laughing out loud. As to the scene where Kirk, Sulu, and that other guy.......

SPOILER ALERT! Potentially experience-spoiling information contained in the following lines in white:

....were free-falling onto the drilling rig thing, I was recalling the original series where a guy in a red shirt was always the "throw down" cadet that was sure to be toast in the opening scene of many episodes. So I wondered if the third guy in this scene was wearing a red shirt. I can't remember well enough. Does anyone else know? If so, that would be really funny!

LOL!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #63
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Then, as I was driving home with my daughter, a thought occurred to me and I started laughing out loud. As to the scene where Kirk, Sulu, and that other guy.......

LOL!
Yes .
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #64
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes .
Perfect. I just wish I had noticed it as I was watching it.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:03 AM   #65
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
Yeah saw the redshirt thing immediately. While I was watching I was spewing the occasional comment onto #startrek.com@ircnet At the time I believe the comment was: Oh look a redshirt. And then when he dies. Ow they just got rid of the redshirt.

It's an interesting piece of semi-original sci-fi but as star trek no... It's not and will NEVER be star trek.
ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #66
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Spoiler:
Well, I just saw Star Trek: The Degrassi Generation and I have very mixed opinions overall. While there were scenes and portrayals I liked I had a lot of problems with the film. It basically started exactly with what I was afraid the movie would be. Just heaps of action and violence. Then within the next 10 minutes they manage to get product placements in for Nokia, Budweiser and even throw in some 20th century music.

Some portrayals I could see or feel the character in, Spock, Chekov and Uhura for example. Kirk didn't seem to be Kirk for me, nor was Sulu. The actor playing Sulu is typecast for me, I was waiting for him to order some sliders. And when did Sulu go from European style fencing to Kendo (I guess)? With a collapsible asian inspired sword no less. And him and the only other character to have a collapsible melee weapon happen to find each other.

I could have bought the changes in the look of technologies as an aspect of the time line reboot if they didn't make the Kelvin's bridge look more futuristic and out of place of the original canon history. With everything going on I wasn't paying that much attention and could be mistaken but that was the impression I recall. (I tried finding good pics online but couldn't, so forgive me if I'm wrong here)

The Enterprise engineering decks and engine room. Did they spend all their money on the CGI action and had to use some abandoned L.A. water treatment plant to cut costs here? The warp 'core' (uh, cores?) was a bunch of oversized coffee cans that you might find in the Costco from Idiocracy. Or maybe creamed corn. I particularly didn't like this because it seemed out of place in Star Trek. Something that hit me while I was thinking about it is Star Trek has always shared a certain level of comfort and design regardless if you are on the bridge of in the engine compartment. I think this emphasized the vision of a future where you might have different jobs, and some people might advance more then others but you didn't have to have slaves shoveling coal into the furnace. In this Enterprise it it seems that they have a very clear seperation between the elite bridge crew and the proles manning the boilers.

As to the Uncle Chop Chop bad guy Romulan, I'm sorry but tribal tattoos stopped being edgy ten years ago or so when every college girl started getting them as 'tramp stamps' and the guys got them as wraps.

Spock's ship belonged in one of the new Star Wars films, as well as every action sequence it was in.

Did anyone else notice that the Orion Kirk was with seemed to be losing some of her green particularly over her eyebrow area?

I just know they'll explain this in a book or something as being from some subconscious connection between future and current Spock but I still have to ask, what was with the ice planet sequence? So current Spock tosses a crew member overboard instead of throwing him in the brig? And happens to land on the exact planet that future Spock has been imprisoned on to watch Vulcan's fate? Not only that but they happen to be placed within a few minutes walking distance of one another by chance?

More convenience was how Kirk had to manipulate Spock into becoming emotional and thereby disqualifying himself from current command according to Starfleet protocol, while at the same time ignoring Kirk's emotional vested interested in the situation. I could buy it if Kirk had pointed it out, but for Spock to immediately bring up the same reason, instead of just walking out or well, anything else seemed unbelievable.

And wow, time travel as a main plot point of a Star Trek storyline? LOL... Now in all honesty I thought as far as reboots go the alternate time line reboot they chose was probably one of the better ones. A lot better then Hollywood's typical "we'll throw out 40 years of established canon and not explain why" attitude.

I know this sounds like I hated the movie, and if it was a Star Trek movie I would have. It was -too- action oriented and with all the problems I listed above I just cannot like it as one. However, thinking of the film as being in a galaxy far, far away from Star Trek I could enjoy it. And really it does seem like a side story film for Star Wars.

So there is my review and random notes of ST:ADHD, hope you enjoyed it...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #67
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post

So there is my review and random notes of ST:ADHD, hope you enjoyed it...

-MJ
But how did you really feel about it? ST:ADHD... you really are a little devil.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #68
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I just saw it and I didn't throw up. I was hoping not see Geriatric Wars again so I groaned a bit when Nimoy showed up yet again. But I suppose if there's absolutely no link to the original series, why would anyone show up? I was reasonably entertained.

SPOILER ALERT! Potentially experience-spoiling information contained in the following lines in white:

....were free-falling onto the drilling rig thing, I was recalling the original series where a guy in a red shirt was always the "throw down" cadet that was sure to be toast in the opening scene of many episodes. So I wondered if the third guy in this scene was wearing a red shirt. I can't remember well enough. Does anyone else know? If so, that would be really funny!

LOL!
I am sure my husband, who things he's an authority on all things Original Series Star Trek, missed that. I can't wait to tell him when he gets home from work. He'll probably want to go see it again, just to check that out!!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #69
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
[

-MJ
Jeez. And to think I just enjoyed the stupid movie!!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #70
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Jeez. And to think I just enjoyed the stupid movie!!!
I couldn't have said it better myself!!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote