Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-20-2021, 03:29 PM   #61
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Wait, 16 GB of RAM? What possible use case is there for a tablet with 16 GB of RAM?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:34 PM   #62
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Wait, 16 GB of RAM? What possible use case is there for a tablet with 16 GB of RAM?
16GB RAM would come in handy for video editing and RAW photo editing. I’m NOT talking about someone editing their social media videos and photos, I’m talking about professional level production. At $2399 they are targeting professionals who can justify the costs. I’m not sure if iPadOS is up to the challenge though, but the hardware certainly is. This isn’t your run of the mill iPad. It is targeted for professional videographers, photographers, graphic artists, engineers, etc.

Last edited by OtinG; 04-20-2021 at 03:39 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2021, 03:46 PM   #63
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
That is all. The best upgrade is the iPad Pro 12.9” which seems like a workhorse. Fully loaded it might be extremely expensive though, and I’m doubtful that iPadOS has enough features and power to take full advantage of it. Now they need to create an iPadOS Pro.

No new iPad mini and no new Apple Pencil. So those predictions were incorrect.
The prices are the same AFAICT, but there’s now a 2TB option, so if that’s ‘fully loaded’, then yes, another $400.

This is the iPad Pro I’ve been waiting for, but I’ll probably wait some more before getting one (say until iPadOS 15 is announced). Do I really need 1TB+16GB M1?

Looks like I’ll pass on new AppleTV. It would be nice if the new remote worked with previous models. I was hoping for a SoundbarPodTV (so I could get rid of our ancient audio equipment) and will keep hoping for that.

I have never used Podcast app (iCatcher has a few features I use that it lacks, and a great Watch app) and the last thing I need are more Suggestions. Already I probably delete 70% of my downloads without listening to them, and my backlog is still 3 days of audio.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:48 PM   #64
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Yes, if you have kids these are probably a must have item. Luckily I have a good memory still and rarely lose things. Wait, what were we talking about?
You are going to AirTag your kids?
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #65
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It would have come in handy when my son was small...he was an escape artist extraordinaire.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2021, 03:57 PM   #66
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
LOL, no but from what I’ve seen with my nieces, nephews, grand-nieces, and grand-nephews, they seem to misplace a lot of stuff. And yep, I’m old. I also have a new great-grand-niece. No kids though.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #67
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
LOL, no but from what I’ve seen with my nieces, nephews, grand-nieces, and grand-nephews, they seem to misplace a lot of stuff. And yep, I’m old. I also have a new great-grand-niece. No kids though.
I only have a couple of grand nephews to go with the nieces and nephews. It's going to be a while before either are old enough to produce great-greats.

I generally don't lose things, though I did have to look around a bit for my Apple Watch after one of the cats saw it on the charging stand and though it was a fun toy. My sister, on the other hand, is always losing things.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #68
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I only have a couple of grand nephews to go with the nieces and nephews. It's going to be a while before either are old enough to produce great-greats.

I generally don't lose things, though I did have to look around a bit for my Apple Watch after one of the cats saw it on the charging stand and though it was a fun toy. My sister, on the other hand, is always losing things.
My cats hid several small items like BT earpieces when they were young. One had her packrat storage location under a bed, so I knew where to find what she took. The other one would hide stuff all over the house.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:43 PM   #69
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Apple made some button changes on the new ATV 4K remote, see attached image.

They added a Power button, a Mute button, and what I assume is a Back button since it uses the < symbol. The Mute button was a nice addition.

They moved the Siri button to the right side.

They got rid of the Menu button.

If that image they provided is to scale, they also increased the overall size of the remote quite a bit. A larger remote should be easier to hold and use than the tiny one I got with my current ATV 4K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7B421CC3-EEA9-4175-8BBB-3B753363C911.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	186709  

Last edited by OtinG; 04-20-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:50 PM   #70
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I doubt that's to scale unless the new Apple TV is teeny tiny. Or the new remote's gone too far to the "huge" side

EDIT: Since the second gen, the Apple TV has been ~4" square according to wikipedia, so disregard this, I'm an idiot.

EDIT2: https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-4k/specs/ says the remote is 5.4" by 1.4" by 0.36"

Last edited by binaryhermit; 04-20-2021 at 04:54 PM.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:53 PM   #71
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I’m a bit disappointed in the new iMac not getting a more advanced version of the M1 processor. Rumors ahead of time thought maybe M1x or M2, but no, just the current M1. But if I can get past the SSD early wear out failure, I might still get one, but not having the rumored upgraded processor is disappointing.

I bought an 11” IPad Pro about 8 months ago and I’m not enough of a power user to upgrade, my current one will last for years.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:55 PM   #72
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I doubt that's to scale unless the new Apple TV is teeny tiny. Or the new remote's gone too far to the "huge" side
The specs are on this page.

ATV 4K = 3.9” x 3.9”

Remote = 1.4” x 5.4”

The older remote that I have is about 4.8” long, so they increased its length appx. 0.6”.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #73
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Color calibration will be available to current ATV 4K and ATV HD

According to a MacRumors article, “Apple TV's New iPhone-Based Color Balance Feature Coming to 2015 and Newer Models”, those of us with the current ATV 4K or ATV HD and an iPhone with Face ID will be able to use the new color calibration feature once tvOS 14.5 and iOS 14.5 are released. So even less incentive to upgrade!

Quote:
Starting with tvOS 14.5 and iOS 14.5, users will be able to hold an iPhone with Face ID near their TV and, after tapping a notification, the iPhone's front-facing camera and ambient light sensor will begin color measurements and automatically tailor the Apple TV's video output to deliver more accurate colors and improved contrast. Apple says this process will result in improved picture quality without adjusting the TV's settings.

While this feature was advertised alongside a new Apple TV 4K, Apple's press release confirms that the color balance process will also be available for the previous-generation Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD running tvOS 14.5, which will be released next week.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:26 PM   #74
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

You will be able to purchase the new ATV 4K remote for $59 when it becomes available. It is compatible with the ATV 4K 2nd gen, ATV 4K 1st gen, and the ATV HD.

BTW, it doesn’t have the U1 Chip, so don’t lose it! That is correct, you cannot track it with your iPhone unless you buy an Airtag. Same goes for the new iPad Pros, no U1 Chip, no tracking without an Airtag.

Last edited by OtinG; 04-20-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:39 AM   #75
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

BTW, it doesn’t have the U1 Chip, so don’t lose it! That is correct, you cannot track it with your iPhone unless you buy an Airtag. Same goes for the new iPad Pros, no U1 Chip, no tracking without an Airtag.
Although if the iPad Pro isn't powered down, you could use "Find My".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote