Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #61
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Yes, I saw Dr. Strangelove for the first time a decade ago and almost died laughing. It made me wonder how the cold war could have survived another 25 years under such an assault.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #62
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Oddly enough, I don't think I've seen it all the way through, though I can't recall how that happened. I'll have to remedy that ASAP.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #63
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh, please do. you're doing yourself a cultural disservice, never having seen that film. just stock up on spare spleens first ; trust me, you will need them.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #64
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I love the end scenes where they are in the war room. If you look closely you will see all sorts of things on the tables, like pies. The original script called for a food fight at the end of the film but that was replaced with the current ending. (No spoilers here.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #65
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
Very southern!

Does anyone know the max number of movies allowed in a Netflix queue? I'm afraid mine might explode in a day or so.

Dreamer
Mine has about two hundred in it at this point. It hasn't exploded yet.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #66
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh, please do. you're doing yourself a cultural disservice, never having seen that film. just stock up on spare spleens first ; trust me, you will need them.
Much as I enjoy the movie, it is not culturally universal. Back in the late '70, I went with my roommate who was from South America along with a bunch of other college students. All the Americans came out laughing our heads off, and the South American was terrorized! How could we laugh at the world being destroyed? When I pointed out he was currently in a top 50 nuke target (Austin had Bergstrom Air Force Base at the time, a major tactical nuke weapon storage area.) and most of us had grown up under such a terror, he turned white as a sheet. Nobody had to worry about such things in South America....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #67
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Some of my favourite movies.

Pride and Prejudice........with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier.
The Big Sleep.
Casablanca.
The Maltese Falcon.
Double Indemnity..........withe Fred MacMurra, Barbara Stanwyck and Edward G. Robinson.
Inn Of The Sixth Happiness.
Fried Green Tomatoes.
Erin Brockovich. She will be appearing in person in Dublin on Sat. 20th Sept. Looking forward to seeing her and listening to what she has to say. Should be very lively and interesting.

Slan
Mag.

Last edited by Maggie May; 09-09-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #68
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
Some of my favourite movies.

Pride and Prejudice........with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier.
The Big Sleep.
Casablanca.
The Maltese Falcon.
Double Indemnity..........withe Fred MacMurra, Barbara Stanwyck and Edward G. Robinson.
Inn Of The Sixth Happiness.
Fried Green Tomatoes.
Erin Brockovich. She will be appearing in person in Dublin on Sat. 20th Sept. Looking forward to seeing her and listening to what she has to say. Should be very lively and interesting.

Slan
Mag.
I've seen your preferred version of P&P and liked it, but I like the Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle version. It provides a longer immersion into Jane Austen's world.

Persuasion (Amanda Root, Ciaran Hinds version)
North & South (BBC adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's novel)

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #69
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Much as I enjoy the movie, it is not culturally universal. Back in the late '70, I went with my roommate who was from South America along with a bunch of other college students. All the Americans came out laughing our heads off, and the South American was terrorized! How could we laugh at the world being destroyed? When I pointed out he was currently in a top 50 nuke target (Austin had Bergstrom Air Force Base at the time, a major tactical nuke weapon storage area.) and most of us had grown up under such a terror, he turned white as a sheet. Nobody had to worry about such things in South America....
Good point, but I grew up in the US, thinking I'd probably never see 30 years old because of The Bomb. (I'm 42 now.) I've seen Fail Safe, Atomic Café, The Day After, and Threads, as well as more fanciful treatments like War Games. I really should see Dr. Strangelove and it's actually rather odd that I haven't seen it all the way through yet.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #70
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
I've seen your preferred version of P&P and liked it, but I like the Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle version. It provides a longer immersion into Jane Austen's world.
Dreamer
oh, i have to agree. plus : colin firth. :dreamy:
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #71
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
How about:

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

I'm surprised no one suggested it yet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #72
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
How about:

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

I'm surprised no one suggested it yet.
Now I have the theme song stuck in my head!

It is rather a classic, though.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #73
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500

I just got a Pizza Hut ad below the last post. Seems we hit a key word for them.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #74
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post

I just got a Pizza Hut ad below the last post. Seems we hit a key word for them.
Ya think?

(It would be the fruit that is usually called a vegetable, most likely....)
Old 09-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #75
rowjimmy
rowjimmy is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Trainspotting
The Razor's Edge (any version)
Gandhi
Anything by Leonid Gaidai
rowjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies, silliness, unutterable silliness