Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2023, 07:25 AM   #61
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Interesting.

After getting a Scribe, I went through my personal documents and replaced most of them with ones generated from ePub files. I can annotate these on KFX capable devices and they show up on my (only) non-KFX capable device and vice versa.

I don't remember when Send To Kindle began accepting ePub, and I do still have a number of personal documents that I sent in prior to Nov, but if these were ePub, they all download as KF8.

In at least one case, an ePub I sent after Nov downloaded as KFX but did not have cover thumbnail after opening/closing it. I re-sent it and now it does.

In short, I cannot reproduce this issue, but maybe I cannot reproduce your exact scenario.
I thought I was imagining the whole thing, but I checked my Kindle Mate and I checked all the books there (I don't really annotate or highlight that much), and even the bookmarks didn't survive. I think only 1 book after Nov 2022 still got its annotations.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 08:38 AM   #62
guio
guio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Now my PW3 Kindle doesn't apply the line height from the font. I have my user font on my Kindle with decreased line height. This line height was used on previously converted files, and now this value is the same as in the standard fonts.
guio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2023, 02:02 PM   #63
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by guio View Post
Now my PW3 Kindle doesn't apply the line height from the font. I have my user font on my Kindle with decreased line height. This line height was used on previously converted files, and now this value is the same as in the standard fonts.
Pretty much the way life is when reading KFX and a reason that I prefer KF8/azw3.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 04:56 PM   #64
dannydav709
dannydav709 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5
Did anyone notice that official epub files (such as those obtained as Adobe Digital Editions) that have the real page numbers (such as those that appear in print books) are now appearing when sending epubs via send-to-kindle? I have tested it on several books, and it seems to work at least half the time (though there are some books that in iBooks on my iPad show the print edition page numbers, but don't show up when sent via send-to-kindle). Really interesting.
dannydav709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 05:12 PM   #65
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
ADE does not use "real" page numbers. It uses an arbitrary formula based on the number of bytes to determine when a page break "should" happen, but it won't align with any print editions.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2023, 05:59 PM   #66
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
ADE does not use "real" page numbers. It uses an arbitrary formula based on the number of bytes to determine when a page break "should" happen, but it won't align with any print editions.
From my limited testing, if you have page-list page numbers in a ePub, they transferred to KF8/azw3 via Send to Kindle when I last tested this. I've never tested this with the Abode's pagemap so can't say if that would work. The Adobe Synthetic Page Number algorithm is only used if no pagemap is found in the ePub and in most ePub renderers, ASPN will not be used if page-list is present. Sample of what I found in one recent purchase in the spoiler/code tags.

Spoiler:
Code:
<nav role="doc-pagelist" epub:type="page-list" aria-labelledby="page_list">
<h1 id="page_list">Pagebreaks of the print version</h1>
<ol class="none">
<li><a href="xhtml/cover.xhtml#cover">Cover Page</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/title.xhtml#pg_vii">vii</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/dedication.xhtml#pg_ix">ix</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/part1.xhtml#pg_1">1</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_3">3</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_4">4</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_5">5</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_6">6</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_7">7</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_8">8</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_9">9</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_10">10</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_11">11</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_12">12</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_13">13</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_14">14</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_15">15</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter1.xhtml#pg_16">16</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter2.xhtml#pg_17">17</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter2.xhtml#pg_18">18</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter2.xhtml#pg_19">19</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter2.xhtml#pg_20">20</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter2.xhtml#pg_21">21</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter2.xhtml#pg_22">22</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter2.xhtml#pg_23">23</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter2.xhtml#pg_24">24</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter2.xhtml#pg_25">25</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter2.xhtml#pg_26">26</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter2.xhtml#pg_27">27</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter2.xhtml#pg_28">28</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter2.xhtml#pg_29">29</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter2.xhtml#pg_30">30</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter3.xhtml#pg_31">31</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter3.xhtml#pg_32">32</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter3.xhtml#pg_33">33</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter3.xhtml#pg_34">34</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter3.xhtml#pg_35">35</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter3.xhtml#pg_36">36</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter3.xhtml#pg_37">37</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter3.xhtml#pg_38">38</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter3.xhtml#pg_39">39</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter3.xhtml#pg_40">40</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter3.xhtml#pg_41">41</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter3.xhtml#pg_42">42</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter3.xhtml#pg_43">43</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter4.xhtml#pg_44">44</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter4.xhtml#pg_45">45</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter4.xhtml#pg_46">46</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter4.xhtml#pg_47">47</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter4.xhtml#pg_48">48</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter4.xhtml#pg_49">49</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter4.xhtml#pg_50">50</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter4.xhtml#pg_51">51</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter4.xhtml#pg_52">52</a></li>

<part of list removed to prevent stupefaction>

<li><a href="xhtml/chapter30.xhtml#pg_419">419</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter30.xhtml#pg_420">420</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter30.xhtml#pg_421">421</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter31.xhtml#pg_422">422</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter31.xhtml#pg_423">423</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter31.xhtml#pg_424">424</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter31.xhtml#pg_425">425</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter31.xhtml#pg_426">426</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter31.xhtml#pg_427">427</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter31.xhtml#pg_428">428</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter31.xhtml#pg_429">429</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter31.xhtml#pg_430">430</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter31.xhtml#pg_431">431</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/chapter31.xhtml#pg_432">432</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/adcard.xhtml#pg_ii">ii</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/adcard.xhtml#pg_iii">iii</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/adcard.xhtml#pg_iv">iv</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/adcard.xhtml#pg_v">v</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/adcard.xhtml#pg_vi">vi</a></li>
<li><a href="xhtml/copyright.xhtml#pg_viii">viii</a></li>
</ol>
</nav>
Old 10-01-2023, 06:19 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
is the break-inside part the one for hyphenations?
I don't remember what the break-inside is for. It was to fix something that went wrong a good while back. It may not be needed any longer. But since it isn't a problem, I leave it.

But it was nothing to do with hyphenation as I've not used it with KFX. I don't think KFX was a thing back then.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 06:24 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't need media queries for negative margins.
You do if you want to read the EPUB on something other than a Kindle.
I never add Kindle specific code to an ePub. If the ePub is going to be read on a Kindle, I convert the ePub to KF8 and add in the Kindle specific code.

But what you can do is add the Kindle CSS code to the ePub, send-to-Kindle and when it's done, remove the Kindle specific CSS.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:25 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Tried to send an ePub via the Amazon web page. Worked great on my iPad and Mac Kindle apps.

If only Amazon was "reading" more metadata then only the title and author, like the book summary and collections tags, that would be awesome.
That's what the Kobo/Calibre combination is for.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:38 PM   #70
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydav709 View Post
Did anyone notice that official epub files (such as those obtained as Adobe Digital Editions) that have the real page numbers (such as those that appear in print books) are now appearing when sending epubs via send-to-kindle? I have tested it on several books, and it seems to work at least half the time (though there are some books that in iBooks on my iPad show the print edition page numbers, but don't show up when sent via send-to-kindle). Really interesting.
amazon's old kindlegen would generate amazon page numbers if the input epub had page-map ot page-list. kindlegen does not generate amazon page numbers from whatever page nuber scheme EPUB 3 uses.

Last edited by j.p.s; 10-12-2023 at 03:28 PM. Reason: epub 3 does not in itself prevent kindgen from generating apnx info
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 08:21 PM   #71
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Page-list is the official page numbering scheme for ePub 3. If you generate the optional TOC .ncx file, it should be treated the same for ePub 3 or ePub 2.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:55 PM   #72
dannydav709
dannydav709 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I personally tested it on some books, and they do align. I have the physical copy of some books, and got the digital edition, and they sometimes align. The way I know that they do is if I first import to my iPad into iBooks, where it will tell me if the print edition page numbers is available. That is when I would know, and then send-to-kindle, and the same pages (that match my physical books) appear. So....
dannydav709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 11:52 AM   #73
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
is the break-inside part the one for hyphenations?
Drop caps break without it. Also margin-left can do weird things without it, but only in non-body text (chapter number, etc.).
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 04:18 PM   #74
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydav709 View Post
I personally tested it on some books, and they do align.
Yes, these books must be using the pagemap feature DNSB described. I thought you were talking about Adobe's synthetic page numbering system.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 12:13 PM   #75
Gone
Out of order
Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's what the Kobo/Calibre combination is for.
Yes, it works well. But you can set that afterwards on the Kindle or on any device with the Kindle app.

Now that personal documents (epub) sent to Kindle also have the typography enhancement like the original KFX, I find the Kindle more attractive. Its screen is really whiter than my Kobo Libra 2. I like the page turn animation. I like the clock on the top. And the Paperwhite is a bit lighter. And cheaper, even more when it is on sale, which is often. Having the book I’m reading available and in synch on my phone is also a nice feature.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote