Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you be getting the new Kindle Oasis?
Definitely yes 63 18.16%
Probably yes 21 6.05%
Maybe 59 17.00%
No, nada, never 204 58.79%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #61
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
I originally voted maybe, but I would say No now. Moving most of the batteries into the cover turns me off.

With the Oasis I can either have a superlight reader with tiny battery or a heavy one with above average runtime. Neither of these is a real upgrade from a reasonably light reader with reasonable battery.

I am also doubtful how well the automatic screen rotation is going to work when reading while lying on the side or the back.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #62
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I voted no.

It lacks waterproofing and a flexible substrate. Deal breakers for a premium device.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #63
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risthel View Post
No way someone can buy this on Brasil. (US$289.99 x 3,47[today exchange fee]) + 60%(taxes to import) = 1610,01R$. Almost double of minimum wage here(880R$/month).

So no, for while. This thing is overpriced.

You have a VAT of 60% ????!!!!!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #64
BrentB
Connoisseur
BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This will be first Kindle e-reader I won't be upgrading to since I bought the original Paperwhite. I love my Voyage and origami cover. I don't particularly like the physical buttons on the front of the Oasis.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:59 PM   #65
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
I voted yes because I bought one as fast as I could (getting one with the merlot cover & no ads for an April 27 arrival).

The biggest reason, for me, are the physical page turn buttons. I currently have the Voyage, which I GOT for the page turn buttons. I have osteoarthritis in my thumbs and it's painful to hold a book or do swipes on a screen. And besides the fact that it hurts to stretch my thumb to swipe (especially the left cause I have to stretch further), the need to swipe across a page is distracting to my reading. I just want a quick press on a button.

But - there are two reasons why the Voyage, for me is only "good enough" while I think (hope?) the Oasis will be better ... maybe even perfect for my needs.

(1) The buttons are not perfectly accurate and are hard to use, even set at the most sensitive setting. I find myself having to press harder or more often, sometimes having to press page back because I pressed too hard or too many times to press forward. I'm getting better at it (having had the Voyage since its debut). But, still...

(2) The worse is that there is no clear way, physically, to tell where the buttons are. Yes, there is a line, but you definitely can't see it at night; it can't just be found by feeling for it. Also, I find that, as I'm reading a book, my thumb moves away from the "sweet spot" of the page turn section. Therefore, I am taken out of the book to find the page turn buttons. So, a lot of times, it's not an automatic press to go to the next page; I have to consciously think of where the button is and press it.

I know - 1st world problems, right? But, with the release of a lighter device with physical page turn buttons that I can rest my thumb on and press when needed, I anticipate (hope?) that the Kindle will indeed "disappear" and I can be reading without any distractions.

So, that's why I'm willing to spend the big bucks to get the Oasis. I'm retired and I read a LOT each day. I hope the Oasis will be the best device to "get out of my way and disappear" so I can just read. Guess I'll see.

Marilyn
I agree with your comments on the page turn buttons. I have a family member with arthritis issues and I am starting to experience the same from too much iPhone and iPad use. I had hoped the Voyage would eliminate the problem but it didn't. There is still some repetitive thumb movement to find the "spot" to turn the page so we often resort to use the touch screen. Those page turn buttons with the ability to modify them (top button could turn the page forward) may be just the ticket for us.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #66
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Why? Because they dared to create a device that you don't like? Have you been hanging around with a certain penguin lately?

Shari
Have you seen the poll? Stop defending Amazon this product is an overpriced megaton of a flop.
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #67
Risthel
Risthel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You have a VAT of 60% ????!!!!!
Unfortunately yes. But they have "reduced" the price for this product and it will be 1399,00R$ -> 400US$ on today conversion(3,47R$ per dollar) at Amazon Brasil.

https://www.amazon.com.br/dp/B010EK1GOE
Risthel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #68
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason90 View Post
Have you seen the poll? Stop defending Amazon this product is an overpriced megaton of a flop.
Voyage with a leather 1st party cover is $260 (or even $285 depending which 1st party leather cover you get!). The 20% lighter, 30% thinner, latest-and-greatest Oasis model with updated lighting comes with a leather 1st party cover that also contains a battery and goes for $290... so a $5 or $30 premium, depending which leather 1st party voyage cover you compare this to.
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #69
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Flop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason90 View Post
JasonP,

Care to have a small bet about the Oasis being a flop?
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #70
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
JasonP,

Can I get in on the action?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #71
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
Price is way too high for an e-reader. People complained about the Voyage price! Yes, I understand it includes a charging cover, but please, $300 for an e-reader? They need to offer this without the cover for maybe $140 or less to get my attention. Otherwise, I am perfectly happy with my Paperwhite.
$300 for an ereader is not going to put off everybody, or even the majority. Sonys were over $300, as I recall. Not much more than an Itouch. If it's a gadget that you will USE, then it's money well spent. I probably wasted more on my TV (which rarely gets used these days). No, I'm not getting one since I just got a Voyage.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #72
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
JasonP,

Or a flip...

You know, Oasis, flip-flops I'll get my coat now, shall I?
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #73
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by positively4th View Post
Voyage with a leather 1st party cover is $260 (or even $285 depending which 1st party leather cover you get!). The 20% lighter, 30% thinner, latest-and-greatest Oasis model with updated lighting comes with a leather 1st party cover that also contains a battery and goes for $290... so a $5 or $30 premium, depending which leather 1st party voyage cover you compare this to.
Forcing people to buy a case for a device with lackluster battery and jacking up the price does not compare with the voyage,i never buy cases for my ereaders and nor do most if i had to hazard a guess.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #74
Jason90
Addict

Quote:
JasonP,

I'd wager on there being less reviews and sales of the oasis than of any kindle amazon has sold thus far,that would be considered a flop i'd imagine?
Old 04-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #75
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I can't afford it now, but I'm not joining the "it's not worth it" chorus. If I could afford it, I'd be sorely tempted. Ergonomics is one of the reasons I read on a smartphone so much more than on my kindle. The redistribution of weight here towards the reading hand seems like it could make a real difference, and easily detachable/re-attachable case reduces the cost of battery management that might otherwise entail.

The one thing that would make this price an outright slam dunk would be the ability to tune the LED color. I have an AMOLED smartphone and can choose, with great precision, actually, the color of the foreground or background while reading in any app, even those with no support for such changes. At night I mostly read with red and black, though sometimes green and black. I avoid blue/white light, and it seems to be luck of the draw just how harsh/cool a Kindle's lighting will be.

As to the poll and Jason's over-excitement about it, the results would look pretty good for Amazon if they were representative of all kindle users. It's not like Amazon has stopped selling their other models. This is a Lexus, not a Corolla.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote