Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #61
JustinKonen
JustinKonen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
I got thrown off because the link to the new NickelMenu package was posted in this thread, and it's the 4.28.18220 thread. Anyone have any ideas for getting this working in some form that's selectable from the device?
JustinKonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #62
JustinKonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
And in fact it does not work on FW 4.28.18220. I checked on earlier versions of the firmware (4.28.17925 etc), and it worked perfectly there.
It works, I mixed up the versions of NickelMenu when checked.

@JustinKonen
Check the NickelMenu version. This error appears on the old version.
Thanks Semwize; what version do you have that it works on? The PGAskin site is down so I'm having trouble figuring out what I need. . .

Thanks!
Advert
Old 08-12-2021, 02:14 PM   #63
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinKonen View Post
what version do you have that it works on? The PGAskin site is down so I'm having trouble figuring out what I need. . .
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...9&d=1627336149

Don't forget to unzip the zip archive. You need the KoboRoot.tgz file

Last edited by Semwize; 08-12-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:14 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks Semwize; what version do you have that it works on? The PGAskin site is down so I'm having trouble figuring out what I need. . .

Thanks!
The site is not down. I just accessed it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #65
JustinKonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...9&d=1627336149

Don't forget to unzip the zip archive. You need the KoboRoot.tgz file
Unfortunately that is exactly the same link (attachment ID, size, everything) that I used. And I did unzip it and put the KoboRoot.tgz in the correct place. I uninstalled completely then reinstalled it, and it IS working for other stuff, just not the dark mode.

JSWolf: I just tried on my phone on data and could access his site, so it must be my PiHOLE ad blocker that's killing it, not sure why, as it didn't a few months ago.
Advert
Old 08-12-2021, 06:10 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Unfortunately that is exactly the same link (attachment ID, size, everything) that I used. And I did unzip it and put the KoboRoot.tgz in the correct place. I uninstalled completely then reinstalled it, and it IS working for other stuff, just not the dark mode.

JSWolf: I just tried on my phone on data and could access his site, so it must be my PiHOLE ad blocker that's killing it, not sure why, as it didn't a few months ago.
'm using AdBlocker Ultimate with Firefox and I have no trouble.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:53 PM   #67
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Thanks Semwize; what version do you have that it works on? The PGAskin site is down so I'm having trouble figuring out what I need. . .!
Yes, sorry about that. It appears that my log+metric server's disk failed, causing logging to buffer excessively on the main reverse proxy's server, causing it to run out of memory intermittently and then causing it to run out of disk space when it fell back to using it, resulting in requests failing intermittently since this morning (and nearly all requests failing between 5:55 and 6:51 EST). I've temporarily limited the log buffer so it drops instead of filling up, so it should now be fine until I get around to dealing with the disk and restoring backups later today.

P.S. It's not PGA skin , that's my first and last name combined (Patrick Gaskin).

Last edited by geek1011; 08-12-2021 at 07:09 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:27 PM   #68
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because others here do have a Mini and saying it's not for the Mini like it's a certainty is not helpful if you don't know for sure.
But it is not for the Mini. Kobo is not releasing this for the Mini. If you do a sync on a Mini, it will not find this update. That is why. The fact that the update will probably work on the Mini is a separate discussion. And at this point, or at least when the post you criticised was made, we don't know that it does work on the Mini (and if the next post I see is a confirmation that it does work, that's good and doesn't change what I am stating).

It might sound like I am arguing semantics, but, the situation is different. If someone with a Glo says they are not getting the update, it is probably because of the affiliate on the device. Some time in the future, it will be available to them. But, if someone with a Mini says the same thing, it is for a different reason and no matter how many times they check, they won't get the update.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:33 PM   #69
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I used the version that @geek1011 did for the Elipsa which is the one in the link posted as far as I know.

I have dark mode toggleable from the main and my books menu items.

I just tested it and have attached 3 screenshots of what I see with dark mode enabled and the device information screen.

Edit: One question is how you did the uninstall? I used the create a file named uninstall in .adds/nm/ and then deleting the .adds directory and it's contents?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	307
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	188665   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_004.png
Views:	312
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	188666   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_005.png
Views:	318
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	188667  

Last edited by DNSB; 08-12-2021 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Added query about uninstall method used for NM
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:35 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For what it's worth, I've tried the latest firmware on my Mini. The install was okay. I'm noticing a bit of jerkiness at times but considering the CPU and RAM in the Mini, not all that surprising.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:46 PM   #71
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I used the version that @geek1011 did for the Elipsa which is the one in the link posted as far as I know.

I have dark mode toggleable from the main and my books menu items.

I just tested it and have attached 3 screenshots of what I see with dark mode enabled and the device information screen.

Edit: One question is how you did the uninstall? I used the create a file named uninstall in .adds/nm/ and then deleting the .adds directory and it's contents?
I’d be surprised if any uninstall method was the issue, installing NM should just overwrite the files initially installed. I know I just updated from the official release to the one Geek had posted for me and had zero issues enabling dark mode from there.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:03 PM   #72
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I’d be surprised if any uninstall method was the issue, installing NM should just overwrite the files initially installed. I know I just updated from the official release to the one Geek had posted for me and had zero issues enabling dark mode from there.
Perhaps an issue with a patch interfering? I can't see the hardware generation being a issue since @JustinKonen shows a Kobo Libra as his device.

Weird and wonderful toys, these ereaders.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:38 AM   #73
wingmongyee
Enthusiast
wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Regarding not having access to pgaskin.net
I can only access the site from my computer in Australia through a VPN. If I use an Australian server through the VPN, I can still access the site so the problem is definitely not the country from which I try to access. The fact that icallaci in the U.S. has the same problem confirm this. I cannot access the site without a VPN from any of the browsers installed on my system (Chrome, Brave, Firefox,Opera, Edge) so it's not related to adblockers as some of the browsers don't have any. I ran the Windows Network Diagnostic and it told me that my connection is fine but that pgaskin.net is not responding. It's strange. All I can surmise is that for some reason, my ip address is blocked by pgaskin.net. Thankfully, I can access the site through the VPN and I don't have this problem with any other site.
I try to search the net for this kind of problem but didn't find anything. This post has nothing to do really with the subject of this thread but since the subject came up here in the first place I thought I would post anyway in case someone had any idea of what the problem could be. Thanks for your time.
wingmongyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 02:39 AM   #74
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But it is not for the Mini. Kobo is not releasing this for the Mini.
I corrected the post. I added information that was obvious to everyone (except Jon).
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:57 AM   #75
RandPC
RandPC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
On my Kobo Aura 4.28 has removed the list view for annotations, no option but to use what was previously called Notebook (beta).

Hopefully they bring it back in the future, I really dislike notebook view.
RandPC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release