Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #721
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Only $1.99 (85% Off) for this HUGE, Highly-Rated Biography of John Lennon.

That's 85% off of the digital list price.

This book has been marked down to $1.99 for at least a week. I couldn't decide whether or not to post it. Hopefully, it will stay down for a little longer now that I've decided to post it.

The post or not post debate didn't have to do with the quality of the book--it's a 4.2-star--nor the bang for the buck--with the $1.99 book having close to 900 pages, there's no issue with that. The issue is my ambivalence about the Beatles and their music. And, the fact, that I did not like Lennon. That's almost sounds unAmerican doesn't it? Oh, wait. They were British. Nevermind. ha

The ebook is a #1 seller right now in the Kindle store, in the rock music category.

John Lennon: The Life. "Reprint edition." By Philip Norman. Rated 4.2 stars, from 370 reviews at Amazon at the present moment. Print list price $19.99; digital list price $13.49; Kindle price now $1.99. HarperCollins e-books, publisher. 866 pages. https://www.amazon.com/John-Lennon-L.../dp/B001FA0T78.

Book Description
For more than a quarter century, Philip Norman's internationally bestselling Shout! has been unchallenged as the definitive biography of the Beatles. Now, at last, Norman turns his formidable talent to the Beatle for whom belonging to the world's most beloved pop group was never enough. Drawing on previously untapped sources, and with unprecedented access to all the major characters, here is the comprehensive and most revealing portrait of John Lennon that is ever likely to be published.

This masterly biography takes a fresh and penetrating look at every aspect of Lennon's much-chronicled life, including the songs that have turned him, posthumously, into a near-secular saint. In three years of research, Norman has turned up an extraordinary amount of new information about even the best-known episodes of Lennon folklore—his upbringing by his strict Aunt Mimi; his allegedly wasted school and student days; the evolution of his peerless creative partnership with Paul McCartney; his Beatle-busting love affair with a Japanese performance artist; his forays into painting and literature; his experiments with Transcendental Meditation, primal scream therapy, and drugs. The book's numerous key informants and interviewees include Sir Paul McCartney, Sir George Martin, Sean Lennon—whose moving reminiscence reveals his father as never before—and Yoko Ono, who speaks with sometimes shocking candor about the inner workings of her marriage to John.

Honest and unflinching, as John himself would wish, Norman gives us the whole man in all his endless contradictions—tough and cynical, hilariously funny but also naive, vulnerable and insecure—and reveals how the mother who gave him away as a toddler haunted his mind and his music for the rest of his days.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 12-11-2016 at 04:56 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #722
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Into Knitting? If so, You Might Be Interested in this Great Book on It, at 88% Off!

I know--there are probably not very many people in MobileReader Land who are "into" this kind of thing. But those that are will have an opportunity to get a great book at at a fantastic markdown (88% from the digital list price).

The Knit Stitch Pattern Handbook: An Essential Collection of 300 Designer Stitches and Techniques. By Melissa Leapman. Rated 4.7 stars, from 66 reviews at Amazon at the present moment. Print list price N/A; digital list price $16.99; Kindle price now $1.99. Potter Craft (div. Crown Publishing), publisher. 288 pages.https://www.amazon.com/Knit-Stitch-P.../dp/B00CVS44BA.

Book Description
Beloved knitwear designer Melissa Leapman offers a comprehensive stitch dictionary and guide with more than 300 original knitting patterns, including slip stitches, cables, and lace.

Knitters love their stitch dictionaries. Melissa Leapman, known for her knitting references, shares 300 of her favorite stitch patterns developed over her long career. With basic step-by-step knitting instruction, information on how to most effectively use a stitch dictionary, and a wealth of original stitch patterns, this book will appeal to all levels of knitters looking for a comprehensive, yet portable volume. The book includes stitch patterns in five categories from imaginative novelty stitch patterns to traditional knit designs. Each stitch pattern includes a gorgeous photograph as well as written and charted instructions.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 12-11-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Advert
Old 12-12-2016, 09:22 PM   #723
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

$2.99 (91% Discount) Title on Design, Published by Princeton Architectural Press!

I get catalogs from a few businesses dealing in closeout, remainder, etc. physical book (I'm so ashamed to tell you that I still buy physical books ). At least one of them has Princeton Architectural Press books from time to time. Peeps, it is difficult to find a book of theirs, even in those catalogs, for less than $15!

This is a Princeton Architectural Press book. Those of you who do design work probably know their reputation for expensiveness, as well as quality.

There is probably a limited number of MobileReaders who would be interested in this kind of book, but if you are one of them, you can grab a very highly-rated title from Princeton Architectural Press for cheap--only $2.99, which is 91% off of the digital list price! If there is only one MobileReader following this thread who has been wanting to own this book, or after reading the book description decide that they do want it, the effort of posting it will have been worth it!

At GoodReads, the 2012 edition garners significantly better ratings than the 2011 edition. This is the 2012 edition.

The Business of Design: Balancing Creativity and Profitability. By Keith Granet. Rated 4.7 stars, from 28 reviews at Amazon at the present moment. Print list price $40.00; digital list price $31.99; Kindle price now $2.99. Princeton Architectural Press, publisher. 208 pages. https://www.amazon.com/Business-Desi.../dp/B00ECHSEMS.

Book Description
The Business of Design debunks the myth that business sense and creative talent are mutually exclusive and, unlike other lackluster business books, is written and illustrated to captivate a visually thinking audience. For nearly thirty years, consultant Keith Granet has helped design professionals pursue their passion and turn a profit. From billing to branding, client management to marketing and licensing, The Business of Design reveals the tools necessary to create and run a thriving design business in today's ultra-competitive marketplace.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 12-12-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #724
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
X-link to the DRM-free thread for the new Humble Bundle:

Humble Book Bundle Code Your Own Games from Apress (a Microsoft imprint, IIRC), contains all sorts of DIY programming titles for various platforms and popular gaming engines.

Also, last week's Neil Gaiman HB has some of his non-fiction essays in it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:28 AM   #725
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Three University of Illinois Press Titles FREE; Three More Only $9.95 Each!

Here are three ebooks from the University of Illinois Press that are currently free. It looks like two out of three of them are non-fiction, thus the reason for me posting them on this thread.

Original Stories from Real Life: With Conversations Calculated to Regulate the Affections, and Form the Mind to Truth and Goodness, by Mary Wollstonecraft.

Some Reflections Upon Marriage, by Mary Astell.

The Works of Hrotsvit of Gandersheim: Facsimile of the First Edition (1501), by Hrotsvit of Gandersheim.

You don't order directly from UIP, rather they give you one or more retailers where you can "purchase" from them instead.

There are also three $9.95 books in this sale. I'm sure that they reflect various markdowns from their regular prices at the respective retailers.

I'm sure that you can appreciate the prices in this little sale, as university press books tend to be quite expensive.

View lots of additional information on each one of the above six ebooks by starting at this webpage.
Advert
Old 12-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #726
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Charles River Editors, free

The Foreign Invaders of Ancient Egypt: The History of the Hyksos, Sea Peoples, Nubians, Babylonians, and Assyrians

Sidon: The History and Legacy of the Ancient Phoenician City

Tyranny and Democracy in Ancient Greece: The History and Legacy of the Greek Tyrants and Athenian Democracy

Jamestown and the Massachusetts Bay Colony: The History and Legacy of the Settlement of Colonial New England and Virginia

Simcoe's Rangers: The History of the British Queen's Rangers during the Revolutionary War

Watergate & the Teapot Dome Scandal: The History and Legacy of America's Most Notorious Government Scandals

The Mary Celeste and SS Baychimo: The Unsolved Mysteries of History's Most Famous Ghost Ships

The Biggest Battles of the Pacific Theater: The History of the Decisive Campaigns that Led to Victory Over Japan in World War II

Belle Boyd and Mata Hari: The Controversial Lives and Legacies of History's Most Famous Women Spies

Coral Sea and Midway: The History of the World War II Battles that Turned the Tide in the Pacific Theater

The Tet Offensive and Invasion of Cambodia: The History of the Vietnam War's Most Important Campaigns

See all

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...ld-title=-kids

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...ld-title=-kids
https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...ld-title=-kids
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:43 PM   #727
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Get at least one, and maybe two, free ebooks by letting yourself be added to a couple of mailing lists.

1) Simon & Schuster. This link looks like it will work.
2) Scribner. Now a division/imprint of Simon & Schuster. Scroll down to the bottom of this webpage. Put in your email address at the appropriate place.

One condition is that you must be a new subscriber. That locks me out of the Simon & Schuster freebie; I am not on the mailing list, yet, for Scribner, it remains to be seen if I will be able to get a free ebook by joining their mailing list, because of my being on their parent company's mailing list. I know that I haven't received any word from either one of them at my email address since I signed up about half an hour ago; however, both of the companies use a "fulfillment partner" that might slow response times down.

I don't have any idea what the free ebooks will be. I've posted this on the Non-Fiction thread because that's the only kind that I read, I'm most familiar with it, and whatever.

Good luck. Let the rest of us know what free ebooks that you got!
Old 12-19-2016, 02:34 AM   #728
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Get at least one, and maybe two, free ebooks by letting yourself be added to a couple of mailing lists.

1) Simon & Schuster. This link looks like it will work.
2) Scribner. Now a division/imprint of Simon & Schuster. Scroll down to the bottom of this webpage. Put in your email address at the appropriate place.

One condition is that you must be a new subscriber. That locks me out of the Simon & Schuster freebie; I am not on the mailing list, yet, for Scribner, it remains to be seen if I will be able to get a free ebook by joining their mailing list, because of my being on their parent company's mailing list. I know that I haven't received any word from either one of them at my email address since I signed up about half an hour ago; however, both of the companies use a "fulfillment partner" that might slow response times down.

I don't have any idea what the free ebooks will be. I've posted this on the Non-Fiction thread because that's the only kind that I read, I'm most familiar with it, and whatever.

Good luck. Let the rest of us know what free ebooks that you got!
I got welcome emails with links to glose.com, which appears to only support reading in their own app (which doesn't work for me because I don't have room on my phone), and maybe on a PC. Looks like they're big on social annotation, which seems to me would be a big distraction. In any case, I would much rather read on one of my dedicated readers than their ereader for web browsers or their phone app on my phone.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 12-19-2016 at 02:42 AM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #729
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I got welcome emails with links to glose.com, which appears to only support reading in their own app (which doesn't work for me because I don't have room on my phone), and maybe on a PC. Looks like they're big on social annotation, which seems to me would be a big distraction. In any case, I would much rather read on one of my dedicated readers than their ereader for web browsers or their phone app on my phone.
Sorry about that. Thanks for passing the information along.

I apparently got locked out of the deal because of the fact that I was a current subscriber to one of the two companies. So, I couldn't test it adequately myself. I went with all that I could find out. Unfortunately, I had to depend upon peeps who weren't locked out to let me know what kind of experience that they had.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:01 AM   #730
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Sorry about that. Thanks for passing the information along.

I apparently got locked out of the deal because of the fact that I was a current subscriber to one of the two companies. So, I couldn't test it adequately myself. I went with all that I could find out. Unfortunately, I had to depend upon peeps who weren't locked out to let me know what kind of experience that they had.
I have my own domain, so I create new subdomains for just about anything I sign up for so I can see if they are selling my email address. I'm not a fan of gose.com or any of the other online reading apps, but I'm sure that a lot of people are fine with them and will take any opportunity for a free book. I may just sign up for both of them anyway and see what they offer. There may be some recent SF on their free book list.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #731
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
X-link to the DRM-free thread for the new Humble Bundle:

Humble Book Bundle Astronomy features educational and informative titles about space-based science, from academic/textbook publisher Springer. This is a mix of DIY stuff and accessibly-written layperson-friendly accounts, as well as more advanced materials for the knowledgeable science reading aficionado.

Also, the Humble Book Bundle Code Your Own Games has added a couple of new software business/management-related titles to the middle tier.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #732
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

This post might be a good opportunity to say again that I try to post books on different sides of issues. It's difficult, because I, like everyone else that I know, has points of view, to say the least, about different issues. My goal is not to reveal, by my posts, where I stand on major issues, political candidates, etc.

Some group (I don't really see any identification for them anywhere) is offering a free copy of Indivisible: A Practical Guide for Resisting the Trump Agenda. What little information that the website gives about the book's content (other than in the title) is that it is "a practical guide for resisting the [President-Elect Donald] Trump agenda: former congressional staffers reveal best practices for making Congress listen."

You can read the book online, or download the PDF or DOC versions.

I don't know the answer to this, because I'm not interested enough in politics and won't be reading or downloading the book, but I think that you can read or download the book without providing any personal information. However, the webpage states that "we'll be updating the guide based on your feedback and making it interactive ASAP. In the meantime, sign up to receive updates." At that point, you are prompted to provide your email address and zip code.

Remember that any political discussions are supposed to be done on some other thread in some other forum.

Linky.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 12-21-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #733
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Book of TRUE Tales, by English Historical FICTION Writers. 99 Cents = 88% Off!

Off of the digital list price.

No, I haven't put this book on the wrong thread (as I'm prone to do. Arrghh!). And, no, I haven't suddenly become senile and started to embrace fiction. Read carefully: this is a book of non-fiction essays written by fiction authors.

When I saw this book on a markdown list, I immediately felt that it was special, and knew that I had to post it. Of course, I think that all of my posts are special. 

Ratings and reviews are stellar.

There is a second volume of this book, but it's not marked down. So, you'll have to wait until it gets marked down, to get it, if you are a true bargain hunter.

The sale is supposed to be good until Dec. 30.

Castles, Customs, and Kings: True Tales by English Historical Fiction Authors. By English Historical Fiction Authors; Debra Brown; M.M. Bennetts. Rated 4.5 stars, from 26 reviews at Amazon at the present moment; rated 4.10, from 166 ratings at GoodReads at the present moment. Print list price $19.95; digital list price $7.99; Kindle price now $0.99. Madison Street Publishing, publisher. 532 pages. https://www.amazon.com/Castles-Custo.../dp/B00FCEJ10Y.

Book Description
A compilation of essays from the English Historical Fiction Authors blog, this book provides a wealth of historical information from Roman Britain to early twentieth century England. Over fifty different authors share hundreds of real life stories and tantalizing tidbits discovered while doing research for their own historical novels.

From the first English word to Tudor ladies-in-waiting, from Regency dining and dress to Victorian crime and technology, immerse yourself in the lore of Great Britain. Read the history behind the fiction and discover the true tales surrounding England’s castles, customs, and kings.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:51 PM   #734
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Off of the digital list price.

No, I haven't put this book on the wrong thread (as I'm prone to do. Arrghh!). And, no, I haven't suddenly become senile and started to embrace fiction. Read carefully: this is a book of non-fiction essays written by fiction authors.

When I saw this book on a markdown list, I immediately felt that it was special, and knew that I had to post it. Of course, I think that all of my posts are special. 

Ratings and reviews are stellar.

There is a second volume of this book, but it's not marked down. So, you'll have to wait until it gets marked down, to get it, if you are a true bargain hunter.

The sale is supposed to be good until Dec. 30.

Castles, Customs, and Kings: True Tales by English Historical Fiction Authors. By English Historical Fiction Authors; Debra Brown; M.M. Bennetts. Rated 4.5 stars, from 26 reviews at Amazon at the present moment; rated 4.10, from 166 ratings at GoodReads at the present moment. Print list price $19.95; digital list price $7.99; Kindle price now $0.99. Madison Street Publishing, publisher. 532 pages. https://www.amazon.com/Castles-Custo.../dp/B00FCEJ10Y.

Book Description
A compilation of essays from the English Historical Fiction Authors blog, this book provides a wealth of historical information from Roman Britain to early twentieth century England. Over fifty different authors share hundreds of real life stories and tantalizing tidbits discovered while doing research for their own historical novels.

From the first English word to Tudor ladies-in-waiting, from Regency dining and dress to Victorian crime and technology, immerse yourself in the lore of Great Britain. Read the history behind the fiction and discover the true tales surrounding England’s castles, customs, and kings.
Both Volumes are in Kindle Unlimited so I checked them out. Thank You GtrsRGr8.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #735
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Falcon View Post
Both Volumes are in Kindle Unlimited so I checked them out. Thank You GtrsRGr8.
I don't have Kindle Unlimited, and always forget about that option for many of you, in many instances.

Thanks for calling it to the attention of people, especially those Kindle Unlimited members who might not have checked!