kevn57
Connoisseur
kevn57 began at the beginning.

Device: Moonreader+
Thanks a lot Cats
kevn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:00 PM   #692
changhuapeng
changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn57 View Post
I haven't been able to get any info from goodreads and thought I'd post this error report, not sure if my still using calibre 5.34 with the new plugin is the issue.

Code:
calibre, version 5.34.0
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click "Show details".

Running identify query with parameters: 
{'title': 'Walden; Or, Life in the Woods', 'authors': ['Henry David Thoreau'], 'identifiers': {'isbn': '9780486284958', 'goodreads': '77667'}, 'timeout': 30} 
Using plugins: Goodreads (1, 7, 6) 
The log from individual plugins is below 

****************************** Goodreads (1, 7, 6) ****************************** 
Found 0 results 
Downloading from Goodreads took 0.0 
identify - start. title=Walden; Or, Life in the Woods, authors=['Henry David Thoreau'], identifiers={'isbn': '9780486284958', 'goodreads': '77667'}
Plugin Goodreads failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads.__init__", line 51, in user_agent
ImportError: cannot import name 'random_common_chrome_user_agent' from 'calibre.utils.random_ua' (C:\Program Files\Calibre2\app\bin\python-lib.bypy.frozen\calibre\utils\random_ua.pyc)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\identify.py", line 46, in run
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads.__init__", line 211, in identify
  File "calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\base.py", line 291, in browser
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads.__init__", line 55, in user_agent
ImportError: cannot import name 'random_chrome_ua' from 'calibre.utils.random_ua' (C:\Program Files\Calibre2\app\bin\python-lib.bypy.frozen\calibre\utils\random_ua.pyc) 

******************************************************************************** 
The identify phase took 0.22 seconds 
The longest time (0.000000) was taken by: Goodreads 
Merging results from different sources 
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds
From my understanding, the fallback random_chrome_ua() function is only available from Calibre v2.81.0 to v5.8.1 while the random_common_chrome_user_agent() function will work from v5.40.0 onwards.

So if you insist on keeping your Calibre on version 5, then you can make the latest version of this plugin work by downgrading/upgrading your Calibre to any versions that is not from v5.9.0 to v5.39.1.
changhuapeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2023, 05:10 PM   #693
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Also, @kiwidude, might be a good idea to post a link to your github releases page in the in the this thread
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:32 PM   #694
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
It is silly trying to run a previous version of this plugin! The whole point of this change is to fix something that was broken in that the plugin would not bring results back a significant % of the time. It would only “work” randomly depending on the result of the random user agent.

When I get time I will do some testing with older calibre versions as to why my workaround for supporting 5.x as a fallback is not working.

Why are you not just upgrading your calibre?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:37 PM   #695
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm assuming they're on an older system that they can't upgrade for whatever reason. (I mean, the price of computer hardware...)
Advert
Old 04-12-2023, 06:04 PM   #696
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Upgrading calibre from 5.x to 6.x is not a hardware related decision. I want to know from the OP why they are not upgrading. I know there have been linux distro issues in the past for some people who stick to super old versions. I don’t get why anyone would bother sticking with an OS if it is restricting what versions of apps you can run on it but each to their own.

Supporting older calibre versions is an overhead for plugin developers and as I appear to have accidentally proven here can be non trivial to get right. I’m curious what the resistance point here is as a current example. It’s not as if you risk issues with your library - 6.x has been out for a long while now and Kovid does a phenomenal job with upgrades to make it seamless for users.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:27 PM   #697
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I was thinking of 5.44 being the last one to run on Windows 8 on an older computer. But best to wait from the OP.

BTW: if it's because of DeDRM, look for the NoDRM fork.

EDIT: I searched the user's posts. It looks like they're running a miniPC with a 32-bit system, meaning incompatible with 6.x.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-12-2023 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-13-2023, 02:18 AM   #698
kiwidude

Interesting post, thanks. Ok sounds like I do have to find a way to get fix that backwards compatibility then.
Old 04-14-2023, 05:14 AM   #699
kiwidude

Ok just taken a quick look at this. It seems there was a "dead zone" of release versions during 5.x where there was no random chrome user agent function of any kind. Which the OP has managed to land themselves in. EDIT: In fact this exact range was pointed out above by changhuapeng, thanks.

I still think the OP should just upgrade to the last 5.x version (5.44.0) - if indeed they are caught in some 32-bit vs 64-bit issue with not being able to go to 6.x at least take the last version that you "could" use.

As for the possible plugin workaround, well it is going to be some more filth that I will have to put in to replicate the code that was removed from calibre during that period. Meh.

Last edited by kiwidude; 04-14-2023 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-14-2023, 05:44 AM   #700
kiwidude

Goodreads v1.7.7 Released

Release Notes
https://github.com/kiwidude68/calibr...odreads-v1.7.7
Old 04-15-2023, 06:24 PM   #701
kevn57
Connoisseur
kevn57 began at the beginning.

Device: Moonreader+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Upgrading calibre from 5.x to 6.x is not a hardware related decision. I want to know from the OP why they are not upgrading. I know there have been linux distro issues in the past for some people who stick to super old versions. I don’t get why anyone would bother sticking with an OS if it is restricting what versions of apps you can run on it but each to their own.

Supporting older calibre versions is an overhead for plugin developers and as I appear to have accidentally proven here can be non trivial to get right. I’m curious what the resistance point here is as a current example. It’s not as if you risk issues with your library - 6.x has been out for a long while now and Kovid does a phenomenal job with upgrades to make it seamless for users.
Sorry for the late reply. I did upgrade to an early version of v6 portable to test it out, I mainly use the viewer on my PC to read and I like to use the read aloud function with the highlighted text, it keeps me really focused on the material. Anyways after I upgraded to 6 and tried reading my first book, QT crashed and I had to restart Calibre. I tried a few times and it kept on crashing. I have zero issues with v5 and your plugin is great, if it fails I just try again and it usually works.

>Supporting older calibre versions is an overhead for plugin developers
That's not something that I expect or desire, I really appreciate the work that you do and I'm very happy with the plugin even if it is an old version, it still works fine for me. I only have two plugins yours and action chains and both work great. I certainly didn't post here to complain, I just wanted to verify that the latest version wouldn't work with v5.

Last edited by kevn57; 04-16-2023 at 07:57 AM.
kevn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 01:36 AM   #702
kiwidude

Goodreads v1.7.8 Released

Release Notes
https://github.com/kiwidude68/calibr...odreads-v1.7.8
Old 05-26-2023, 05:59 AM   #703
kiwidude

Goodreads v1.7.9 Released

Release Notes
https://github.com/kiwidude68/calibr...odreads-v1.7.9
Old 07-31-2023, 05:32 AM   #704
nguoi doc sach
nguoi doc sach began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Put a comma in Votes numbers?

Please someone help me,
I want to put a comma in Votes numbers but I don't know how to do it correctly. Does anyone figure out this yet?
nguoi doc sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 06:20 AM   #705
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguoi doc sach View Post
Please someone help me,
I want to put a comma in Votes numbers but I don't know how to do it correctly. Does anyone figure out this yet?
Hi nguoi - your best bet would be to ask one of the template syntax gurus like chaley to help you (or just ask it as a general custom column formatting question, showing the template that you have for the column currently). The problem here is that the grvotes column is not a native numeric column, instead it is derived from a special identifier value. Given that the column is treated like a number for sorting purposes there might be hope that it could also be formatted as such but you don't via the UI get the same "formatting" options for a custom column of this type that you do for a native numeric as you have found.

Tags
goodreads, metadata