Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-11-2023, 07:21 PM   #661
alper
alper began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin, offline Kindle
I'm just switching from Marvin to Mapleread. It looks very serviceable but the UI is going to need some getting used to (as well as causing my eyes a bit to bleed).
alper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 07:42 AM   #662
peaceridge
Wizard
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I download my books to Mapleread just for the organization. I then transfer epubs to Marvin for reading and pdfs to Goodreader for reading. For me, I need the time displayed on the screen as I'm reading and Mapleread does not do that for either, nor does it handle epubs and pdfs as nicely as the other two products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alper View Post
I'm just switching from Marvin to Mapleread. It looks very serviceable but the UI is going to need some getting used to (as well as causing my eyes a bit to bleed).
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2023, 10:19 AM   #663
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I download my books to Mapleread just for the organization. I then transfer epubs to Marvin for reading and pdfs to Goodreader for reading. For me, I need the time displayed on the screen as I'm reading and Mapleread does not do that for either, nor does it handle epubs and pdfs as nicely as the other two products.
I'm the opposite. When I was researching a replacement for iBooks, I looked at Marvin among others but, IIRC, one of the major cons was it wasn't being updated. My main focus was on sorting by author & series. I opted for MR in the end. As for PDFs, I do have Goodreader and have a few PDFs in it but I have never really been able to "get in to it".
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 05:59 AM   #664
alper
alper began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin, offline Kindle
I'm using Mapleread now seriously to read some stuff and I'm finding on reopen (restore), it will reset the read position to the start of the chapter.

That's pretty broken. Does anybody know whether this app is being maintained?

(Supposedly they're publishing updates but no reply yet to my support requests.)

Last edited by alper; 02-19-2023 at 06:02 AM.
alper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 10:26 AM   #665
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alper View Post
I'm using Mapleread now seriously to read some stuff and I'm finding on reopen (restore), it will reset the read position to the start of the chapter.

That's pretty broken. Does anybody know whether this app is being maintained?

(Supposedly they're publishing updates but no reply yet to my support requests.)
That isn't my experience. If it crashes, on relaunch it will either go to the collection page where I tap the book, or it will reopen the book. No matter which way it goes, the book reopens to the page I was on.

Do you shutdown the app when you stop reading? I don't do that, I just close my iPad.

The most recent update of MapleRead SE was released on 5 Feb 23 and is version 4.8

Last edited by romad; 02-19-2023 at 10:42 AM.
Advert
Old 02-19-2023, 10:24 PM   #666
culytera
Zealot
culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I still get that bug where MapleRead loses its place on the book upon reopening the app (without closing the app) even with all the updates that try to fix it. I just fix it by not scrolling through the book, going back to the book list and reopening the book. It'll put me back to the correct place.
culytera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 08:22 PM   #667
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
I don’t have this bug. Are you reading by endless scrolling or page turning?
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:06 PM   #668
culytera
Zealot
culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
I don’t have this bug. Are you reading by endless scrolling or page turning?
By endless scrolling.
culytera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:23 PM   #669
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

Ah, that may be the problem as I use page turning (never liked the scrolling styles) thus never had the problem.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:46 AM   #670
petzi
Connoisseur
petzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 7 Tablet, iPad mini 4, iPhone XS
Export notes as sequential text files with references?

I just bought the SE/CE package version. As far as I have used it for reading, I am delighted.

I have some questions concerning the export of notes from MapleRead. As I understand, I have only two options: Either to export them as .csv file or copy and paste them manually from the cloud. Is this right, or did I overlook other possibilities?

I am asking this question because I need to process my notes in other programs (note-taking apps): Most of my e-books are non-fictions with many highlights and notes. It is important for me to elaborate these notes to store it in my "second brain" (note-taking app) and to prepare them later to include in my articles and books as quotes with references.

For this reason, I need
  • * text files to elaborate on my notes and
    * references to the source, preferentially as links.

I am using note-taking apps like Obsidian.md where I can store all my notes from an article or from books in a sequential order. Or even better: I can export my notes from my e-book reader to the note-taking app directly. Therefore, I require my notes as sequential text. Working with a .csv file is for my use case impractical.

It is also critical for me to have links to the original source of my notes, so I can reference them and inspect the context of my notes whenever it is necessary.

Is there a possibility or are there workarounds to do this in the current version of MapleRead? If not: Can I hope that these two features (export notes as text file / PDF / Markdown or as text via Clipboard and providing links to the highlight location) will be included into future releases of MapleRead?
petzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 01:25 AM   #671
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Servus petzi

I just checked exporting notes and yes, you’re right. Only exporting via csv or c&p from the cloud.

IIRC - I very rarely make notes - I have copied my notes into a comment style custom column in calibre from the cloud as html. Unfortunately you cannot use the annot PI for custom notes.

One question from me. How is linking across different devices and apps supposed to work?
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 01:52 PM   #672
petzi
Connoisseur
petzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 7 Tablet, iPad mini 4, iPhone XS
Thank you for the tip with calibre and copying notes via HTML from the cloud.

It is a little laborious, but it works. After I have produced the content of the notes as HTML, I can convert these notes to Markdown or to another format.

But there is another reason why MapleRead notes are not useful for me: I need the exact location (chapter is not enough), preferable as active links to the source. To have the exact location is a critical requirement for correct citations in the academic world.

The active link is an additional comfortable feature for my processing of the notes: Occasionally, I need to go back to the source to get the context of the citation. A good example of active links to the exact location of the source is implemented in the calibre ebook-viewer. The Markdown export of highlights from Calibre creates links for every annotation. Clicking on one of these links opens the app with the correct document (book) and positions the document with the quote on top of the window.
petzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 06:26 PM   #673
cohnhead@me.com
cohnhead@me.com began at the beginning.

Device: MapleRead iPad
I am using MapleRead SE on the iPad and I cannot get rid of hundreds of numerous tags from the tag pool. I have cleared the entire app and deleted it and re-installed it so that the tag pool is empty. However, when I add books back into the app, random tags are showing up that are not in the book’s metadata in Calibre. There must be somewhere that these tags are being pulled from, but I cannot figure it out. Any ideas?
cohnhead@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 07:38 PM   #674
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

Have you read FAQs 27 through 31at http://maplepop.com/web/mr/help.php?
Old 06-15-2023, 10:35 PM   #675
cohnhead@me.com
cohnhead@me.com began at the beginning.

Device: MapleRead iPad
Yes. I read the FAQ’s but I don’t see the tags referenced in Calibre either.
cohnhead@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mapleread