Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-19-2022, 04:44 PM   #661
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I usually run Extract ISBN plugin before doing the metadata download. That seems to help get the right edition.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 09:13 PM   #662
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
When downloading a book that combined entries from Amazon and Goodreads, the blank GR description overrode the Amazon one. I posted about it here (more details) and Kovid said this:

Is this what is happening here?
FYI I have posted back on that thread. However as Kovid rightly pointed out there is not actual merging of results going on at least in the example I tried to replicate.

Last edited by kiwidude; 12-24-2022 at 01:23 AM.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2022, 01:25 AM   #663
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Goodreads v1.7.2 Released

Release Notes
https://github.com/kiwidude68/calibr...odreads-v1.7.2

Not convinced there ever was an issue to fix at this point but this code should ensure that if similar comes up again it definitely is not being caused by the Goodreads plugin handling of empty comments fields.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:04 PM   #664
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Is there any chance of putting in the option to deselect the title/author/series in the plugin for filling in the metadata field rather than having to deselect them for all?

I want to keep Amazon's title and Authors (Amazon authors don't space between periods) but keep Goodread's series since Amazon tacks "The" and "Series" at the beginning and ends.

The plugin may use the title/author/id for searching but whether or not it fills the field should be an option.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 07:51 AM   #665
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
Is there any chance of putting in the option to deselect the title/author/series in the plugin for filling in the metadata field rather than having to deselect them for all?

I want to keep Amazon's title and Authors (Amazon authors don't space between periods) but keep Goodread's series since Amazon tacks "The" and "Series" at the beginning and ends.

The plugin may use the title/author/id for searching but whether or not it fills the field should be an option.
Unless Im missing something you can already do that just like you can for any other metadata plugin. Just select the Goodreads plugin and change its configuration options.
Advert
Old 01-01-2023, 11:56 AM   #666
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Unless Im missing something you can already do that just like you can for any other metadata plugin. Just select the Goodreads plugin and change its configuration options.
Looking at Rellwood's post, it seems that automatically combining the output of the two metadata downloads is what they want to do without having to do two metadata download passes.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:36 PM   #667
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Looking at Rellwood's post, it seems that automatically combining the output of the two metadata downloads is what they want to do without having to do two metadata download passes.
I thought that is just down to the limitations of how calibre matches books - and unless the titles match exactly you are SOL. Or are they saying that setting the title/author to null means that calibre will "automatically" merge the results it finds? Even if you could that sounds way too dangerous/misleading for all the times that the goodreads search finds the wrong book and you wouldn't know it because calibre would present the results of the Amazon title/author...
Old 01-26-2023, 09:50 PM   #668
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The goodreads and Amazon plugins themselves don't allow you to deselect the title/author/series.

If I could go into the Amazon plugin and select title/author and the Goodreads plugin to only select the series.

The main edit metadata field that mass selects the fields can be filled in but the plugins themselves could be edited to download only the fields i want from each one. This would allow all the plugins to get the fields but only selected fields will be chosen from each plugin (i hope this makes sense).

They can fetch the data but I only want specific fields filled in by specific plugins.

Last edited by Rellwood; 01-26-2023 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:48 AM   #669
kiwidude

Quote:
The goodreads and Amazon plugins themselves don't allow you to deselect the title/author/series.

If I could go into the Amazon plugin and select title/author and the Goodreads plugin to only select the series.

The main edit metadata field that mass selects the fields can be filled in but the plugins themselves could be edited to download only the fields i want from each one. This would allow all the plugins to get the fields but only selected fields will be chosen from each plugin (i hope this makes sense).

They can fetch the data but I only want specific fields filled in by specific plugins.
Ahhh now I understand what you mean. Actually Goodreads does let you control whether the series is downloaded, but not the title/authors. And I'm almost certain (without checking the code) that is for the simple reason that the calibre code requires the plugins to pass title/authors back in order for it's merging algorithm to work (and to present the results to the user).

I could be wrong as not looked at the calibre code but I suspect it would require a significant calibre metadata API change to support what you want. Or it could simply be the case that I could just add title/author to the set of configurable fields and it just works - would have to experiment...

Last edited by kiwidude; 01-27-2023 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:17 PM   #670
Rellwood

Quote:
Or it could simply be the case that I could just add title/author to the set of configurable fields and it just works - would have to experiment...
That would be appreciated if possible, but NOT a major big deal to break your mind over.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:38 PM   #671
Rellwood

Quote:
I thought that is just down to the limitations of how calibre matches books - and unless the titles match exactly you are SOL. Or are they saying that setting the title/author to null means that calibre will "automatically" merge the results it finds? Even if you could that sounds way too dangerous/misleading for all the times that the goodreads search finds the wrong book and you wouldn't know it because calibre would present the results of the Amazon title/author...
It's only dangerous if you don't already know what book you are updating the metadata for. Honestly, that isn't going to be the case. Everyone knows what the title/author of a book is before they update the metadata and if they don't they can at least find some kind of identifier within it to help the plugin. The concern I am having is the fact that Amazon and Goodreads are the main sources for me and their metadata is in conflict with each other and how I like my library.

Also, Calibre will use title/author/isbn(if available) no matter what fields you choose to fill in. Even if you deselect every available field they will still come back with a book and the id's. The id field will get changed.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:44 PM   #672
kiwidude

Quote:
It's only dangerous if you don't already know what book you are updating the metadata for. Honestly, that isn't going to be the case. Everyone knows what the title/author of a book is before they update the metadata and if they don't they can at least find some kind of identifier within it to help the plugin.
The problem is the website search engines, if you *don’t* help them out before your metadata download by setting goodreads ids etc. Which I am willing to bet is how the majority of the plugin users work with their books - they rely on a title/author search match to pull back the right metadata. Which can sometimes go wrong due to for instance that specific book not yet being on the goodreads website and it presents it’s nearest match instead.

It is why I always recommend never using the calibre bulk metadata download option. There are certain times with calibre where you have to eyeball the data you are accepting if there is the possibility it is wrong. The situation I was talking about was if by setting title/author to none prior to where it merges the results of the search and letting it show you as one line item (if it worked that way) - it would create a lot of garbage entries over time for people who don’t prepare the correct goodreads id first.
Old 01-29-2023, 04:15 PM   #673
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
The problem is the website search engines, if you *don’t* help them out before your metadata download by setting goodreads ids etc. Which I am willing to bet is how the majority of the plugin users work with their books - they rely on a title/author search match to pull back the right metadata. Which can sometimes go wrong due to for instance that specific book not yet being on the goodreads website and it presents it’s nearest match instead.
Does this indicate that the GR plugin doesn't use ISBNs? I thought it did.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:11 PM   #674
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Does this indicate that the GR plugin doesn't use ISBNs? I thought it did.
It will only use ISBN if your book has one in the metadata already - which in most cases people won't have, unless it either (a) was embedded in the book metadata already or (b) they prepopulated it either manually or using Extract ISBN.

The logic of the plugin is to:
- Use goodreads id if it has one
- If it doesn't, try to find the goodreads id based on either ISBN or ASIN identifiers if it has them
- If no goodreads id found by any of the above means, fall back to a title/author search.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:20 PM   #675
kiwidude

Goodreads v1.7.3 released

Release Notes:
https://github.com/kiwidude68/calibr...odreads-v1.7.3

Thanks to MartinCa and busches for the fixes and PRs, much appreciated!

Tags
goodreads, metadata