Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-29-2022, 02:23 PM   #646
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by culytera View Post
I'm looking to replace KyBook 3 since I've been getting issues with syncing my Calibre library on Dropbox. MapleRead seems like it's the closest to having most of the features I want. Firstly, I'm going to explain my setup with KyBook then I have a few questions for how to setup MapleRead the way I'd like or if there's a better setup for it.

My KyBook setup:
  • Download fic from Ao3 using FanFicFare
  • My FanFicFare settings make the first page's font large which means Calibre's auto-generated cover (using the first page) has fairly readable letters when I see the books on KyBook
  • I connect Calibre to my Dropbox folder then send the epub to my Dropbox folder
  • I have a user stylesheet installed on KyBook so the first page's style from FanFicFare's settings gets overriden, making the first page readable on my phone
  • When I finish reading the book, I delete it from KyBook which will also delete it from my Dropbox folder
  • I open Calibre and connect it to my Dropbox folder. I can then see the deleted books based on the "On Device" column
  • If I don't want to keep the copy, I delete the book from my Calibre library. If I want to keep the copy, I add a "Finished:yes" tag to the book

Attachment 194653

I hope I was able to explain my setup properly. It's rather particular, but I'm willing to adjust for MapleRead. I'll get used to it eventually.

For my questions about MapleRead:

1. Does its library view have a large cards option (or something similar)?

- The large cards options lets me read the summary of the fic from the book's icon on the library view. On MapleRead, the book's cover is too small on the current available views.

2. Is there a way to setup my library on MapleRead so that when I delete the fic after I finish reading it, I will easily know which ones are finished when I open Calibre?

3. Can I upload my own font to MapleRead?

4. Can I use Dropbox as a library server on MapleRead without having to import the books through the Files app?
iOS (since 13 I think) lets you install additional fonts that can be used by any app, but to my knowledge no reading apps have taken advantage of this capability (not even Apple Books).

IPadOS supports multiple documents as well. Why don’t any reading apps support this (and I don’t mean the kludge of running 2 ‘editions’ side by side in Split View like you can with Mapleread SE and CE)? It’s probably enough for most people but it would be cleaner to support it with a single app, and with that, more than 2 instances.

I haven’t tried Mapleread yet myself but it does have calibre support, and should obviate need to use Files. Having finally calibre-ized my ebook library, I’m looking for ways to leverage it, so I’ll probably give it a try myself.

I cannot tell from the App Store description but it seems you should be able to AirDrop .ePub/.PDF files and also use wireless file transfer initiated from PC/Mac if you have iTunes/Finder wireless access for the device set up.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:45 PM   #647
mark_e_h
Connoisseur
mark_e_h began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/IpadMini
Quote:
2. Is there a way to setup my library on MapleRead so that when I delete the fic after I finish reading it, I will easily know which ones are finished when I open Calibre?
I didn't read your long list. But unlike syncing Calibre with a Kindle (a real Kindle, not the app on your iPad) there is no information interchange between Calibre and MapreRead. You are stuck keeping track of what is in MapleRead's library.

MapleRead is a nice and useful product, but compared with using a Kindle there are a lot of "rough edges" in the UI, minor bugs, and missing features.

The advancement of MapleRead proceeds, at a slow pace.
mark_e_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2022, 06:47 AM   #648
culytera
Zealot
culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I'm slowly learning MapleRead's UI and so far, I've figured out how to search for my unfinished books from my OPDS catalog. It follows the same syntax as searching in Calibre (e.g. my custom column has a lookup name of #finished so I just search for #finished:no to see all unfinished books in MapleRead's interface. The problem is changing that to either finished:yes or deleting it once I'm done reading from MapleRead. I can't easily do the latter since I only use my laptop as the content server and it can't always be on. I wouldn't have this issue if Dropbox could just act as a server directly.

Looks like you can also upload your own fonts, I could do it via PC upload but I need the pro version.
culytera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:33 AM   #649
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
This may just be me, but I've never thought that the backup/restore on any iPad device actually restores anything but the programs, settings and passwords. Not the database of the programs itself. Not any information that you could load through the 'file share' option on that device.

Since most apps aren't actually owned by iTunes, the info isn't going to be transferred.

I don't think 'backup' is meant to keep a clone of the iThing. I have a handful of iThings, and have never come across the backup restoring everything. Just the apps and settings.

But if there's a way around that, I'd love to hear it. It's a real PITA to have to reload libraries and other data.
iTunes only shows content that was loaded using iTunes File Sharing (or at least in the app’s internal folder designated for iTunes File Sharing). Mind, these actually get restored by iCloud/encrypted iTunes backup restore for me.

The backup over iTunes/iCloud depends on the app.

Apps can categorize the data they’re using into user data and downloadable data. I’m not familiar with the exact jargon but at least that’s my understanding based on my favorite comic app (ComicGlass) which gives me two main folders for comic storage: [Documents] and [Downloads]. User data [Documents] gets backed up to iCloud/iTunes. Downloadable data [Downloads] does NOT.

If the app categorizes ebooks as user data (e.g. Marvin, Kobo), the ebooks get backed up to iCloud/iTunes via normal device backup. If the app categorizes ebooks as downloadable data (e.g. Kindle, Comixology), then the ebooks do NOT get backed up to iCloud/iTunes.

Not sure where MapleRead falls. From posts here though, it seems like it might be similar to ComicGlass but you can’t choose to move/recategorize ebooks to/from user data and downloadable data.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:15 AM   #650
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
Any way to adjust left margin?

I have a problem with a few ePubs where the left margin is larger than the right and would like to "equalize" them somewhat.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2022, 04:30 AM   #651
culytera
Zealot
culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I've moved my library to MapleRead. I just wish it could sort the books by published date from Calibre's metadata instead of date added from Calibre's last modified data. I thought about copying the Published Date data to Modified Date data, but I don't know if that's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
I have a problem with a few ePubs where the left margin is larger than the right and would like to "equalize" them somewhat.
Do the margin options in Page Layout options fix your issue? Although it looks like the option is exclusive to the Modern Book view.
culytera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:35 PM   #652
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by culytera View Post
I've moved my library to MapleRead. I just wish it could sort the books by published date from Calibre's metadata instead of date added from Calibre's last modified data. I thought about copying the Published Date data to Modified Date data, but I don't know if that's possible.

Do the margin options in Page Layout options fix your issue? Although it looks like the option is exclusive to the Modern Book view.
Sorry for the delay in responding. No, they didn't but it seems the problem is with Amazon. I contacted the author of some of the books showing this problem. After explaining that I had converted the books from Amazon's MOBI format to ePub, he said the problem might be caused by the conversion process. Why? because Amazon requires books be uploaded in ePub format which they then convert to MOBI format! Apparently either the ePub to MOBI does something or the reconverting to ePub does it. He sent me ePub versions of the books and after installing them into MR SE, the problem wasn't there. I'm not sure why it was only in a very few books out of the few thousand I have in MR SE, though.
Old 08-14-2022, 04:47 PM   #653
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

Differences in MR SE shelf display on new iPad Mini 6 vs iPad Mini 5. On all my iPads up through the Mini 5 they displayed 5 books per shelf. Now on my new iPad Mini 6, only 4 books are displayed per shelf. Is this change a conscious decision by MaplePop, or was it forced on them by Apple? There is now a lot of wasted space between the books.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:14 AM   #654
Pendragn
Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.

Device: None
MapleRead updated last night, and all the books I had on there from the last two weeks have disappeared.
Pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:10 PM   #655
igorius
Zealot
igorius began at the beginning.

Device: ipad & inkpad X
Due to the seemingly death of kybook (looooong time no progress) i am looking for a replacement. So some questions popped up:
I installed the free version and when i want a bigger font in modern book reading, i can set the font to biggest size it has, but the font doesnt change in any way: I tried with 2 books, one changed from 99 to 107 pages, the other from 250 to 260 pages. So no change occurred.

I can see that calibre metadata gets downloaded: downloaded 1 book which is read, but the read status is not shown on the shelf, only when i open that book and move the bar to any position in the book, i see the status. Why is the status not taken from my calibre database? If the book is read, it should show as read, and progress should show 100% - as shown in the downloaded metadata.

Your "online-sync" only syncs metadata? Is there any way to get that metadata back to calibre, say reading status or book is read?
Do i have to sync my books too to your cloud?

How and where are the books stored on the ipad/iphone? How is the metadata stored? Is there a kind of API to write a plugin for calibre?

Do you have plans to add djvu? I have some books in djvu and would like not to have 2 different readers...
Thank you very much!

Last edited by igorius; 08-24-2022 at 04:20 PM.
igorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 01:33 PM   #656
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragn View Post
MapleRead updated last night, and all the books I had on there from the last two weeks have disappeared.
Someone posted a similar complain on App Store. Here's the developer response: "We'll fix this glitch soon. In the meanwhile, there's a simple workaround. Just turn off Sort | ... | Prefer Calibre Date in Library view."

Since I don't experience this sort of glitch myself, I don't know if this is indeed a workaround for you. You might want to share your findings in this forum.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:05 PM   #657
sglinert
Enthusiast
sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPod Touch 5, Illudium Q-42 Explosive Space Modulator
Is it possible to email a book from MapleRead? I downloaded a book from Gutenberg and want to send it to a friend.
sglinert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:34 AM   #658
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
MapleRead SE, as of today, connects to Calibre (I can see the books), but won't download from Calibre. I haven't updated either Ipad software or Mapleread software. Could I have changed something unknowingly?

Ok, my bad! Just in case someone else has this problem - I use PolishBooks to remove unwanted metadata and then delete the original epubs. Fat fingers deleted the epubs, not the original epubs, so, of course, MapleRead did not recognize them!

Last edited by peaceridge; 11-03-2022 at 12:00 PM.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 06:37 AM   #659
pvdv
Enthusiast
pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, BeBook Neo
Custom font problem?

I bought Mapleread SE and tried to upload custom fonts: JunicodeTwo and EB Garamond. These are freely available on the internet.
I manage to get them into Mapleread, but for some reason the Italics are not used. I see just a slanted version of the regular font, but these 2 fonts have very distinctive italics that are apparently not used by Mapleread?
When I use for example the embedded Mapleread font Iowan Old Style, the the correct distinctive italics are used! Just not on my uploaded fonts…
Can any of you confirm this behaviour, or maybe have a solution?

Last edited by pvdv; 12-26-2022 at 04:26 AM.
pvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 07:47 PM   #660
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Does mapleread only work on books with no DRM?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mapleread