Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2024, 01:57 PM   #616
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A video on youtube is also useless to gauge contrast.
That depends on how well it's shot and if it's compared again something you know. So if the Libra color was show in good lighting at 4K being compared to the Libra 2 with no front light on, then yes we;d get a good comparison.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 02:02 PM   #617
Gone
Out of order
Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That would be my wish too. I don't want the color Libra with the Kaleido tech, which makes the screen darker and would force me to use more frontlight. I already use the frontlight at middle or high levels on my Libra, as I mostly read on it in daylight and want my screen to be off-white, not grey.
I ordered a Libra Colour, because I couldn't resist and had to try it. I will of course compare the B&W reading experience with my Paperwhite and the Libra of my wife. It better be good. I also always have the front light on, even in the day, because I like the background to be more white than grey. But I also read a lot at night, with the dark mode.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 02:05 PM   #618
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I ordered a Libra Colour, because I couldn't resist and had to try it. I will of course compare the B&W reading experience with my Paperwhite and the Libra of my wife. It better be good. But I also read a lot at night, with the dark mode.
Please post pictures of both the color Libra and the b/w Libra side by side (with the frontlight on and off, if possible). While I don't plan to get the new color Libra, I'd be interested how the b/w reading experience compares to the previous gen.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 02:23 PM   #619
FireFrog
Enthusiast
FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle 2019, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has to also have the new battery and the new processor or forget it.
Eh. I use KOReader or Plato, it's fast enough with my use case. So is the battery, satisfied with the screen time I get.
FireFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:09 PM   #620
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I ordered a Libra Colour, because I couldn't resist and had to try it. I will of course compare the B&W reading experience with my Paperwhite and the Libra of my wife. It better be good. I also always have the front light on, even in the day, because I like the background to be more white than grey. But I also read a lot at night, with the dark mode.
I read exclusively in dark (inverted) mode. I'd be curious to see that comparison with the Libra 2
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 11:45 PM   #621
Gone
Out of order
Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I read exclusively in dark (inverted) mode. I'd be curious to see that comparison with the Libra 2
I guess that the dark mode is not as spectacular as the colour. It probably looks the same as on the Libra 2, but will see.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:16 AM   #622
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But on a video the 1/2 resolution isn't obvious..
Just read the reviews, and it's not half the resolution when you're reading in black and white.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 03:29 AM   #623
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Does anyone know what "FastGLR" might be? The Libra Colour and Clara Colour both mention it in their screen specs:

Quote:
E Ink Kaleido™ 3 display with FastGLR and Dark Mode
Ghosting something Refresh?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:01 AM   #624
TTLylia
TTLylia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hmm... Waiting for the Libra 3.

link 1
link 2

April 10 -> April 11
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	april_10.1.png
Views:	168
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	207504   Click image for larger version

Name:	april_10.2.png
Views:	130
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	207505   Click image for larger version

Name:	april_11.1.png
Views:	161
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	207506   Click image for larger version

Name:	april_11.2.png
Views:	121
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	207507  
TTLylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:07 AM   #625
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I wonder if you could do black background with white text in dark mode.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-11-2024 at 06:11 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:36 AM   #626
Thena
Thena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterThena can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Mini, Kindle Keyboard
Someone on Reddit got their Libra Colour early and is taking questions on it notably the screen and contrast: Libra Color AMA
Thena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:35 AM   #627
kyôdai
Groupie
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I mean, the white case does not help, but yeah, without light the comparison is quite brutal... (pictures from Reddit.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	got-the-libra-color-early-ama-v0-cx6tjcmg0ttc1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	982.1 KB
ID:	207512   Click image for larger version

Name:	got-the-libra-color-early-ama-v0-ep52ybmg0ttc1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	891.4 KB
ID:	207513   Click image for larger version

Name:	got-the-libra-color-early-ama-v0-y67iyemg0ttc1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	947.4 KB
ID:	207514   Click image for larger version

Name:	got-the-libra-color-early-ama-v0-ccyxybmg0ttc1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	990.3 KB
ID:	207515  
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:02 AM   #628
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
I mean, the white case does not help, but yeah, without light the comparison is quite brutal... (pictures from Reddit.)
This is definitely very relevant for people who refuse to use the light.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:23 AM   #629
Gone
Out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
This is definitely very relevant for people who refuse to use the light.
Those people now live in the dark ages.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:54 AM   #630
kript96
Enthusiast
kript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW (2018), Kindle Scribe
The comparison it's pretty clear and goes as expected.
Eink with light constantly at a very high value at all time almost lose the point of it in my opinion. Of course i know it's not directed in your face and it's still better than a tablet, but i though eink readers objective was to replicate as much as possible reading on paper, and this is a step backwards on that and for most use cases.
kript96 is offline   Reply With Quote