Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2024, 05:08 PM   #586
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Frankly I can't imagine why I would want color in an average, nonillustrated novel. I don't highlight or take notes; I don't use book covers for screensaver. Something else I haven't thought of?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 05:14 PM   #587
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Frankly I can't imagine why I would want color in an average, nonillustrated novel. I don't highlight or take notes; I don't use book covers for screensaver. Something else I haven't thought of?

Caché when you strut at the book club?
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2024, 05:43 PM   #588
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
I use colour for the following:

- Book text: chapter titles and subtitles, headings, summaries, sections, epigraphs, first letter, images, quotes, notes, indexes, links, poems, epitaphs and similar (I'm quoting from memory where I have colour enabled via CSS, I'm sure I'm leaving some out).

Also for underlining and highlighting.

I find it very nice to add those coloured notes to the text and combine or change them as I like. Of course they are not necessary for reading (like so many other things we use on an e-reader), but once you do that a greyscale text is very bland.

- Utilities: Wikipedia, dictionary, translator and web search.

- Interface: Front pages, library, home page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-04-07-07-12-40-996.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	610.4 KB
ID:	207442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-04-08-10-37-19-156.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	655.2 KB
ID:	207443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-04-07-06-35-45-446.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	874.6 KB
ID:	207444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-04-07-06-41-44-270.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	971.2 KB
ID:	207445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-04-07-06-12-16-559.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	773.2 KB
ID:	207446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-04-07-05-46-54-615.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	871.9 KB
ID:	207447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-04-08-09-29-31-743.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	842.0 KB
ID:	207449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-04-08-09-38-49-276.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	207450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-04-08-09-59-46-803.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	207451  
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 06:13 PM   #589
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
I use colour for the following:

- Book text: chapter titles and subtitles, headings, summaries, sections, epigraphs, first letter, images, quotes, notes, indexes, links, poems, epitaphs and similar (I'm quoting from memory where I have colour enabled via CSS, I'm sure I'm leaving some out).

Also for underlining and highlighting.

I find it very nice to add those coloured notes to the text and combine or change them as I like. Of course they are not necessary for reading (like so many other things we use on an e-reader), but once you do that a greyscale text is very bland.

- Utilities: Wikipedia, dictionary, translator and web search.

- Interface: Front pages, library, home page.
Thank you for sharing your use case.

But nah, I'm not interested in all that. As I said, I don't highlight, underline or take notes - I'm far too lazy to fiddle with such things while reading, and so far I have felt no need to do it. As to colors in books, they would just distract me and make the text harder to read (unless it's an illustrated book, of course, but very few of my books are).

The library and home page would be the only places I'd like to see in color, but I don't want it badly enough to buy a whole new device just for that. Especially if there are disadvantages to b/w rendering.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:48 AM   #590
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Yeah, I can see how colour would be nice for those who do frequent highlights and annotations. I don't.

The Clara BW would've been interesting if only it had page turn buttons.

I don't understand why nobody wants to release a good 6" reader with page turn buttons internationally. Onyx Boox has their Darwin reader for the Russian market, but it's not available on the international market.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 02:36 AM   #591
DJUNGELSKOG
Enthusiast
DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Red face

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your use case.

But nah, I'm not interested in all that. As I said, I don't highlight, underline or take notes - I'm far too lazy to fiddle with such things while reading, and so far I have felt no need to do it. As to colors in books, they would just distract me and make the text harder to read (unless it's an illustrated book, of course, but very few of my books are).

The library and home page would be the only places I'd like to see in color, but I don't want it badly enough to buy a whole new device just for that. Especially if there are disadvantages to b/w rendering.
Same for me. I was hoping for some sort of a “Sage 2” with a bigger battery
DJUNGELSKOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:24 AM   #592
stubby
stubby began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJUNGELSKOG View Post
Same for me. I was hoping for some sort of a “Sage 2” with a bigger battery
I am holding out some hope for a Libby and Sage BW with the Carta 1300, perhaps by this fall. Better yet would be a Sage BW with no note taking ability and a non-flush screen but that may be just a daydream.

At least I know Kobo is moving on to the Carta 1300.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:47 AM   #593
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
So #592 posts to date and did anyone get it right now that Kobo have announced the 3 new models?
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 04:27 AM   #594
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemk View Post
So #592 posts to date and did anyone get it right now that Kobo have announced the 3 new models?
The number of posts (and the period of time) is the reason
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:02 AM   #595
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemk View Post
I think the main surprise is that they replaced the old Clara 2E with Clara BW. Most seemed to be expecting an update to the Sage instead.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:18 AM   #596
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Libra Color, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
I think the main surprise is that they replaced the old Clara 2E with Clara BW. Most seemed to be expecting an update to the Sage instead.
Actually, kobo did replace the Clara 2E with the Clare Colour AND the Clara BW. It seems they want to support hardcore colorless reading people as well as those who might fancy colours. I myself did not expected the Clara Colour and certainly not the Clara BW, and expected just the higher range of readers to be updated. Perhaps Kobo wants to investigate the selling potential of color before fully investing in colorization of all readers.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:35 AM   #597
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I find interesting is that the new Color Libra has a 2 core processor, a bigger battery, and 1GB of RAM. Now if only Kobo would do the same to the Libra 2 BW.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-10-2024 at 05:37 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 06:13 AM   #598
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I was reading this article:

https://www.engadget.com/kobos-new-e...0.html?src=rss

and it says:

Quote:
... The Clara BW differs from the last-gen Clara 2 (Engadget’s pick for the best ereader) with a faster processor, more storage (16GB) and the latest E Ink Carta 1300 display tech. ...
Has it been confirmed that the new Clara BW has a faster processor? Looking at the specs for the Clara BW and Clara 2e on Kobo's site, there is no mention of the processor, other then "1GHZ".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 08:01 AM   #599
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Actually, kobo did replace the Clara 2E with the Clare Colour AND the Clara BW.
Well yes, but that's not what I meant.

They replaced a pretty good and recent 6" b/w reader (the Clara 2E) with another 6" b/w reader (the Clara BW). OK the BW has a better screen, but the 2E was already good.

It does mean they can have one set of sleepcovers which will fit both devices, so that's a (small?) win for Kobo.

But they left the Sage stagger on for at least another 6 months, with all its known battery issues. That's the surprise to me.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 08:11 AM   #600
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Well, now that they are officially available for pre-order, I've gone ahead and ordered myself a Libra Colour and a sleep cover. I thought about ordering a Stylus 2 as well but held off for now. I can always pick one up later should I decide I need one.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote